Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Kristin Meredith on 10 Dec 2017
  • Here are the woods today.  I think it will need to melt a little before we go down again.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #17 by ZCZ on 11 Dec 2017
  • This was my 2016/2017 logging season. The trees that came down in the storm at my cabin (plus some that had busted tops from the storm). My friend on the left who helped me saw them into lumber.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

His sawmill (Wood Mizer)

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Finished lumber

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Z
  • #18 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Dec 2017
  • Wow!  What did or do you plan to do with the lumber.  Looks like enough to build an addition onto your cabin.
  • #19 by Trooper on 11 Dec 2017

• Impressive, ZCZ.
    MEGA
  • #20 by yorkdude on 11 Dec 2017
  • That really is quite impressive. That set up looks awfully neat also.
  • #21 by Kristin Meredith on 11 Dec 2017
  • #22 by ZCZ on 11 Dec 2017
  • Kristin & Bentley - Love seeing pictures of your woods and the progress you have made.  I remember subscribing to the similar thread you had on PH. I love working in the woods, too.  There is a satisfaction to seeing progress.  Thanks so much for posting.
    Z
  • #23 by ZCZ on 11 Dec 2017
  • Wow!  What did or do you plan to do with the lumber.  Looks like enough to build an addition onto your cabin.

Garage and outdoor shed.
  • #24 by pmillen on 11 Dec 2017
  • Z, there must be a great deal of satisfaction in felling a tree, trimming it, ripping lumber and building something substantial.  I can't think of anything that compares.

One of the Foxfire books has a story about an Appalachian woman that sheered the sheep, spun the wool into thread, wove the fabric, dyed it with black walnut husk stain and sewed her husband's wedding suit.  She buried him in it about 50 years later.  That sorta' compares.
  • #25 by Bentley on 12 Dec 2017
  • I am pretty sure those were not cut worth a 20 inch Husqvarna...How long did they have to air dry?
  • #26 by ZCZ on 12 Dec 2017
  • I am pretty sure those were not cut worth a 20 inch Husqvarna...How long did they have to air dry?

Actually, the ones we ended up cutting down were cut with my friend's 20" Huskie (and limbed with my 16" Stihl).  They say they need to air dry two years but they have dried out pretty well already.  They came down in the storm at the end of summer so they had a lot of sap.
    Z
  • #27 by Bentley on 12 Dec 2017
  • Wish you had taken some video of that thing in action!

Wood Mizer LT 40
  • #28 by ZCZ on 12 Dec 2017
  • One of the biggest ones coming down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm1PJx58hSA

Unfortunately I did not take a video of the saw working.
  • #29 by pmillen on 12 Dec 2017
  • That tree fell right in the gap!  Wow!
  • #30 by yorkdude on 13 Dec 2017
  • One of the biggest ones coming down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm1PJx58hSA

Unfortunately I did not take a video of the saw working.
    Holy cow that is neat, got to admit, I'd be scared as heck doing that.
Pages:
Actions