Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 08 Dec 2017
  • New at Academy, I saw and examined the new Outdoor Gourmet Triton XL.  Academy handles several outdoor smokers and grills by this brand and they offer a lot of bang for the buck.  The new Triton XL is large (over 700 sq. inches on two shelves.) pellet grill with 20 lb hopper and the auger feeds up hill to dump the pellets down a slide into a left sided fire pot.  It has a PID control similar to those on RT and Blazn, with a meat probe.  Has very stout carriage, with big steel wagon wheels on one end and lockable swivels on the other.  Metal looks to be about 16 gage.  Door fit is marginal but would be easy to seal.  The drip pan is stainless and is said to have a reinforcement under the bottom side. Also a stainless deflector over the fire pot. Only $499.  Same price as their smaller Pitt Boss model 820.  They have only 5 customer reviews but all are 5 star.  I don't know much about how they will hold up or the quality of the auger motor or fan. But looks worth investigating for those who want to  join the pellet crowd without a big investment. 
    Just FYI :bbq:
  • #2 by triplebq on 08 Dec 2017
  • Looks like a nice pit. Love the price.
  • #3 by TheStand on 10 Feb 2018
  • I have been looking at this one for about a month now.
    I take the reviews with a grain of salt. There are 15 now and 3 bad ones. I don't like the review format that Academy uses because you can't respond to them.

One of the bad reviews talked about an error code and not being able to start the grill. It was posted around the Nov/Dec timeframe. I have read from many different forums about this problem with almost all smokers that use a temp probe. The bitter cold weather this winter has affected many. Before starting the grill/smoker the probe is very cold (under 32*) and the error circuitry sees it as a problem with the probe and stops the grill/smoker from staring up. Most correct it by applying heat to the probe, just holding in your hand or a hairdryer, heatgun, whatever and after a few moments the grill/smoker starts up.

Another of the 1 star reviews says... The pellets were not lighting. He said he cleaned out the burn pot and tried to start again and the pellets would not ignite. Then he cleaned it again and tried the Manual lighting method (Trying to light the pellets by hand) and the pellets would not light. SO... He concluded that the ignition rod was not getting hot enough to ignite the pellets... WELL... I'm not a genius but I would have to believe that after trying to light the pellets by hand and they would not light... I think I might suspect the pellets and not the grill.

I have stopped by Academy and "touched" this grill and am impressed with the build. After looking at many different brands... This thing is heavy and seems very solid (reminds my of my old Oklahoma Joes).

After searching everywhere for info on this grill, I have been able to find a few others who own it and have asked many questions.

I have found out that the controller can be set to 600*. And two users have verified it will reach and hold 500*+ in 30 to 40* temps outside. They said there is a temp variation (side to side) of around 25 to 30* which I would expect in this size grill. The temp swings are around +/- 20* which is also well within the range I would expect.

The main cooking area is divided into 3 (fairly heavyweight) grates for a total of 40"x20" or about 800 sq in. And has a warming rack of about 37"x12". This thing is a monster!!!

It only comes with a 1 year warranty and Academy does not offer an extended warranty BUT you can get a third party 3 year extended warranty (same company that does Lowe's, Home Depot, others) for around $79.

I have been bouncing between the new Camp Chef SGX, Pit Boss Austin XL and this one. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Outdoor Gourmet. At $499 I don't see how I can go wrong!
  • #4 by ylr on 10 Feb 2018
  • Just by looking at it, the only thing I'd be wary of is it running out of pellets during an overnight cook. On my 820, sometimes you have to open the lid, and push the pellets down when it's 1/3 full or less. My guess is the Triton will use more pellets, and will get to that low pellet point faster.

Otherwise, it looks like a great buy! If I didn't already have a pellet grill, I may have chosen it over the Austin.
  • #5 by Bentley on 10 Feb 2018
  • #6 by TheStand on 10 Feb 2018
  • Just by looking at it, the only thing I'd be wary of is it running out of pellets during an overnight cook. On my 820, sometimes you have to open the lid, and push the pellets down when it's 1/3 full or less. My guess is the Triton will use more pellets, and will get to that low pellet point faster.

Otherwise, it looks like a great buy! If I didn't already have a pellet grill, I may have chosen it over the Austin.

Yea... Figured that. It will use up pellets heating that much space. Figured I could get 10 to 12 butts on at one time. I cook for a local homeless mission and it will come in handy.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Feb 2018
  • take pics if you can get that many shoulders on it
  • #8 by Just David on 10 Feb 2018
  • I saw one in store last month and I loved it. If I hadn't already spent a bunch on the Masterbuilt pellet smoker, I would have been very tempted.
  • #9 by bten on 14 Jun 2018
  • It is now on sale at Academy for $399!
  • #10 by reubenray on 14 Jun 2018
  • I saw that earlier this week.  It is made of heavier steel than the pellet smokers have similar to stick smokers.
Pages:
Actions