Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I think we have a few judges and from different Orgainizations.  (Read 3954 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry

Became KCBS Certified BBQ Judge in 2003 at American Royal.  Ed Roith was my instructor.  Funny, I do not remember the year or my 1st competition judged...wow.  Became a Master Certified Judge in 2009, stopped keeping track of how many I have judged after 50, it just did not seem important anymore.  I do enjoy it, but have not judged since 2015 I think...a shame!

Edit:  I have been informed my 1st Competition Judged was Heatin up the Bay, put on by Arlie at Mandalay Bay in November of 2003!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:19:52 AM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
Re: I think we have a few judges and from different Orgainizations.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:39:38 AM »

Became a certified judge in 2014 for PNWBA, 1st contest I judged was Freedom Fest in Dallas (Not the Dalles) , Oregon, must have done a good job because the senior judges told me I could judge with them anytime. Went on to judge at the World Food Championships in Vegas in 2014. Don't judge much as I also compete but do like to judge 1-2 times a year.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 11:22:08 AM »

I also became a CBJ in Sept of 2003 at the AR.  Judged my first contest in Nov 2003 -- "Heating Up the Bay" at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas.  Huge contest with teams from all over the United States. Great contest and some of the most fabulous "Anything But" presentations and entries I have ever seen.  I am one contest short of my Master, but can't motivate myself to judge just for the reason of getting a MCBJ.  I want to judge because I want to judge, otherwise I won't be fair to the competitors.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:42:56 PM by Kristin Meredith »

Gringo

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 01:59:13 PM »

I became a CBJ in 2014.  I only judged 4 contests over 2 years.  There are just not that many BBQ contests here in Minnesota. And, to judge the contests here,  I also have to be a member of the Minnesota BBQ Society.  With my work, it is just too difficult for me at times to travel a long distance to judge a competition.  So, this year, I let both memberships expire.  I just found it wasn't worth it to judge 1, or possibly 2 contests a year.
Lakeville, MN MemphisPro Weber Performer Blackstone 36" Griddle

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 11:41:02 PM »

I became a CBJ in 2014.  I only judged 4 contests over 2 years.  There are just not that many BBQ contests here in Minnesota. And, to judge the contests here,  I also have to be a member of the Minnesota BBQ Society.  With my work, it is just too difficult for me at times to travel a long distance to judge a competition.  So, this year, I let both memberships expire.  I just found it wasn't worth it to judge 1, or possibly 2 contests a year.

Ditto. I have let my CBJ expire for the same reasons.
Z

2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 04:03:25 PM »

I took the class 3 years ago at the Royal, judging my 2nd contest in 2 weeks.  I would have to travel a lot and be retired to do many judging gigs.  Good news is when they do have an event its easy to be selected to judge
2011 SS Memphis Pro

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 08:50:55 PM »

I'm a KCBS Master Judge. I have been judging for about 4 years now. I'm lucky that we have quite a few events in NC/SC/GA. I'm also a NC certified judge but don't do much with them.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Rydes84

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »

I started judging a little over 2 years ago. I have done 2 KCBS comps so far and had a great time. I have also done quite a few backyard comps through Iowas BBQ society as they have started a sanctioning process for smaller events around the state and fundraisers etc. I enjoy the camaraderie and how bbq comps have this unique feel from other competitive/sporting events.

Stewartr002

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 09:51:34 PM »

KCBS, Florida BBQ Association, and Utah BBQ Association certified judge.  Been judging since 2009 (don’t compete).  Have judged over 40 contests but not Master status yet.  Hopefully 2018 will be the year.

scooter

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 05:07:19 AM »

KCBS Certified Master Judge #56112, Certified Table Captain
KCBS CMJ certified on 5/28/13
CBBQA member since 2009
Years judging: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Sanctioned Contests Judged: 60
Sanctioning bodies: KCBS (57), IBCA (1), PNWBA (2)
Non Sanctioned or Backyard Open Judging Events: 16 events judged
Instructor – CBBQA Advanced Judging Class, Alameda CA & Riverside CA, January 2015
Instructor – CBBQA Judging Workshop, Alameda CA & Riverside CA, January 2017
Pitmaster – Smokin’ Yankee’s Competition BBQ Team

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 09:03:13 AM »

That is impressive scooter!

scooter

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 05:35:28 PM »

Thanks John, I eat lots of free BBQ!!  :pig:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »

I am Certified Master Judge #5387.  I became a CBJ in 2003, they must have changed the numbering system between 2003 and 2010 cus I just don't believe there are 50k judges...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »

I think there could be over 50,000 added.  When we started competing in California in 2003, there were virtually no CBJ's at contest.  I can remember more than one contest where the KCBS rep was out wandering around the morning of judging looking for judges from the folks walking around.  I still remember the one woman who said she would love to judge, but then asked if she would have to eat pork because she was Muslim and couldn't do that!!!

But by the time of our last California comp in 2013 they were turning CBJ's away from comps and often half the people judging were Master CBJ's (still don't like the number of judges who judged 30 contests in one year so they could be "master" judges -- I don't think they should be allowed to judge that many in such a short time frame).  KCBS really ramped up their profile and bbq comps became a hot item for several years, so I could see them adding tens of thousands in a 15 year period.

scooter

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 10:57:19 PM »

I've seen badges in the high 70K range lately.
My favorite badge # is this guy! I got to sit next to him at a contest. What a character!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up