Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 27 Aug 2017
  • Became KCBS Certified BBQ Judge in 2003 at American Royal.  Ed Roith was my instructor.  Funny, I do not remember the year or my 1st competition judged...wow.  Became a Master Certified Judge in 2009, stopped keeping track of how many I have judged after 50, it just did not seem important anymore.  I do enjoy it, but have not judged since 2015 I think...a shame!

Edit:  I have been informed my 1st Competition Judged was Heatin up the Bay, put on by Arlie at Mandalay Bay in November of 2003!
  • #2 by riverrat49 on 28 Aug 2017
  • Became a certified judge in 2014 for PNWBA, 1st contest I judged was Freedom Fest in Dallas (Not the Dalles) , Oregon, must have done a good job because the senior judges told me I could judge with them anytime. Went on to judge at the World Food Championships in Vegas in 2014. Don't judge much as I also compete but do like to judge 1-2 times a year.
  • #3 by Kristin Meredith on 28 Aug 2017
  • I also became a CBJ in Sept of 2003 at the AR.  Judged my first contest in Nov 2003 -- "Heating Up the Bay" at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas.  Huge contest with teams from all over the United States. Great contest and some of the most fabulous "Anything But" presentations and entries I have ever seen.  I am one contest short of my Master, but can't motivate myself to judge just for the reason of getting a MCBJ.  I want to judge because I want to judge, otherwise I won't be fair to the competitors.
  • #4 by Gringo on 28 Aug 2017
  • I became a CBJ in 2014.  I only judged 4 contests over 2 years.  There are just not that many BBQ contests here in Minnesota. And, to judge the contests here,  I also have to be a member of the Minnesota BBQ Society.  With my work, it is just too difficult for me at times to travel a long distance to judge a competition.  So, this year, I let both memberships expire.  I just found it wasn't worth it to judge 1, or possibly 2 contests a year.
  • #5 by ZCZ on 29 Aug 2017
  • I became a CBJ in 2014.  I only judged 4 contests over 2 years.  There are just not that many BBQ contests here in Minnesota. And, to judge the contests here,  I also have to be a member of the Minnesota BBQ Society.  With my work, it is just too difficult for me at times to travel a long distance to judge a competition.  So, this year, I let both memberships expire.  I just found it wasn't worth it to judge 1, or possibly 2 contests a year.

Ditto. I have let my CBJ expire for the same reasons.
    Z

• #6 by GrillinGlen on 02 Sep 2017
  • I took the class 3 years ago at the Royal, judging my 2nd contest in 2 weeks.  I would have to travel a lot and be retired to do many judging gigs.  Good news is when they do have an event its easy to be selected to judge
  • #7 by triplebq on 13 Sep 2017
  • I'm a KCBS Master Judge. I have been judging for about 4 years now. I'm lucky that we have quite a few events in NC/SC/GA. I'm also a NC certified judge but don't do much with them.
  • #8 by Rydes84 on 10 Oct 2017
  • I started judging a little over 2 years ago. I have done 2 KCBS comps so far and had a great time. I have also done quite a few backyard comps through Iowas BBQ society as they have started a sanctioning process for smaller events around the state and fundraisers etc. I enjoy the camaraderie and how bbq comps have this unique feel from other competitive/sporting events.
  • #9 by Stewartr002 on 09 Nov 2017
  • KCBS, Florida BBQ Association, and Utah BBQ Association certified judge.  Been judging since 2009 (don’t compete).  Have judged over 40 contests but not Master status yet.  Hopefully 2018 will be the year.
    • Stewartr002
  • #10 by scooter on 29 Nov 2017
  • KCBS Certified Master Judge #56112, Certified Table Captain
    KCBS CMJ certified on 5/28/13
    CBBQA member since 2009
    Years judging: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    Sanctioned Contests Judged: 60
    Sanctioning bodies: KCBS (57), IBCA (1), PNWBA (2)
    Non Sanctioned or Backyard Open Judging Events: 16 events judged
    Instructor – CBBQA Advanced Judging Class, Alameda CA & Riverside CA, January 2015
    Instructor – CBBQA Judging Workshop, Alameda CA & Riverside CA, January 2017
    Pitmaster – Smokin’ Yankee’s Competition BBQ Team

• scooter
  • #11 by Canadian John on 29 Nov 2017
  •   That is impressive scooter!
  • #12 by scooter on 11 Dec 2017
  • Thanks John, I eat lots of free BBQ!!  :pig:
    • scooter
  • #13 by Bentley on 12 Dec 2017
  • I am Certified Master Judge #5387.  I became a CBJ in 2003, they must have changed the numbering system between 2003 and 2010 cus I just don't believe there are 50k judges...
  • #14 by Kristin Meredith on 12 Dec 2017
  • I think there could be over 50,000 added.  When we started competing in California in 2003, there were virtually no CBJ's at contest.  I can remember more than one contest where the KCBS rep was out wandering around the morning of judging looking for judges from the folks walking around.  I still remember the one woman who said she would love to judge, but then asked if she would have to eat pork because she was Muslim and couldn't do that!!!

But by the time of our last California comp in 2013 they were turning CBJ's away from comps and often half the people judging were Master CBJ's (still don't like the number of judges who judged 30 contests in one year so they could be "master" judges -- I don't think they should be allowed to judge that many in such a short time frame).  KCBS really ramped up their profile and bbq comps became a hot item for several years, so I could see them adding tens of thousands in a 15 year period.
  • #15 by scooter on 12 Dec 2017
  • I've seen badges in the high 70K range lately.
    My favorite badge # is this guy! I got to sit next to him at a contest. What a character!
    • scooter
Pages:
Actions