Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Conumdrum on 09 Dec 2017
  • I got this from somewhere long ago.  It's called Blazing Pistachios by Seemore

Started with 3 1.5 lb bags of the store bought green/black bags

4.5 TBS butter
    5 TBS Worshie sauce
    5 TBS Koster salt
    1 TBS hot sauce Ghost Pepper style.  Yea it's hot
    4 TBS of a spice called Smitties.  I get it from Mad Hunky, it's a seasonal thing.  About 4 on a heat scale
    2 TBS hot vinegar sauce.  I had a lg 1/2 bottle of red Tabasco, a jar of the little splash on vinegar hot sauce with the really small yellow peppers.  Added that to the Tobasco
    13 TBS green Tabasco (one lg bottle and 3 more TBS)

Mix the liquids, melt the butter first.  Pour over the nuts and mix mix mix until there is no pooled liquid on the bottom of the bowl.  Let sit for an hour, mix again, then smoke.

Smoked them on the Yoder for 2 hours at 150 upper and lower grates. Used Lumberjack MHC mix.  Top grate ran about 130 while lower right got to 175 at times.  When they started to taste dry, took them off and let sit in a pan for a day.  I got 14 1 cup sandwich bags out of this batch. 
    They are spicy, but not overpowering, great with your favorite Barley Pop.  And great for small Xmas presents.

• #2 by pmillen on 09 Dec 2017
  • I don't care to fool around with nut shells, pistachios, peanuts or any other.  Have you tried this with the shelled variety?
  • #3 by Conumdrum on 09 Dec 2017
  • I don't care to fool around with nut shells, pistachios, peanuts or any other.  Have you tried this with the shelled variety?

Nope, the shells are part of the fun.  Also, lots of the spices that stick to the nut that are inside the shell would fall off

But, it could be done and pretty flavorful.  Go for it!

Pages:
Actions