Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 22 Dec 2017
  • I have again compared Lumberjack Hickory to B&B Hickory and found two things:
    1.Much more ash from the Lumberjacks are found on grill grates and food.
    2.The Lumberjacks burn up faster
    None of the above is a scientific study, but just my experience.  Anyone else looked into this?   Bent :2cents:?
  • #2 by triplebq on 22 Dec 2017
  • Honestly I have used both but haven't notice any major difference between them.
  • #3 by Ross77 on 23 Dec 2017
  • I have again compared Lumberjack Hickory to B&B Hickory and found two things:
    1.Much more ash from the Lumberjacks are found on grill grates and food.
    2.The Lumberjacks burn up faster
    None of the above is a scientific study, but just my experience.  Anyone else looked into this?   Bent :2cents:?

What wood variety?
  • #4 by okie smokie on 23 Dec 2017
  • What wood variety?

Hickory in both cases. However, the Lumberjacks are 100% and the B&B are 75% oak and 25% Hickory.  I think the problem is that the Lumberjacks are made 100% from bark and the outer (live) cambion wood layer, while the B&B are made from more of the heart wood or a mix of the layers.  I can get the Lumberjack at Atwoods for $8+ while the B&b cost $11 at Academy.  Gonna stick with B&B from now on.  I believe you gets what you pays for. ::)
  • #5 by Ross77 on 23 Dec 2017
  • Oak might have less ash. Not 100% sure but if they’re not both 100% hickory it’s not an apples to apples comparison.
  • #6 by Bentley on 23 Dec 2017
  • I have heard that 100% wood will cause more ash, as will pellets with bark in the mix.  I am not sure if there is scientific evidence of it.  The 100% does not make sense to me, as why it would have more ash then a 70/30 or 65/35 or any other combination.  The bark in the mix, now that seems like it might have some validity.  Not sure if Lumberjack is still including bark in their mix?  I have always thought that burning (hardwood at least) pellets were about the same on BTU, they all seem to be around that 8400/lb. I would think the pit and controller would have more to do with faster burn then the pellet.

I have not burned any 100% anything or LJ in almost 2 years...so I just don't have much data for you!
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Dec 2017
  • I wonder if the water % of the pellet has anything to do with ash content.
  • #8 by bregent on 24 Dec 2017
  • Lumberjack has more ash because of the bark - they even state that on their website. More ash doesn't bother me if it's produces more smoke flavor. Blends with 75% oak are not smokey enough for me.
  • #9 by okie smokie on 24 Dec 2017
  • Thanks Bentley for your input.  Looks like Bregent has the answer from LumberJack.  It is the bark and that is consistent with what I see in the ash (it is darker and thus more visible).  Plan to give my supply to my son, who also likes them.  Nuff said and thanks.  Merry Christmas to all. 
  • #10 by okie smokie on 08 Jan 2018
  • What wood variety?

Hickory in both cases. However, the Lumberjacks are 100% and the B&B are 75% oak and 25% Hickory.  I think the problem is that the Lumberjacks are made 100% from bark and the outer (live) cambion wood layer, while the B&B are made from more of the heart wood or a mix of the layers.  I can get the Lumberjack at Atwoods for $8+ while the B&b cost $11 at Academy.  Gonna stick with B&B from now on.  I believe you gets what you pays for. ::)

Correction:  B & B pellets are now 14.99 at Academy!!  Still worth it.   
Pages:
Actions