Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing ignitor on Grid Iron  (Read 3784 times)

Chashub

• Using less gas.
Re: Replacing ignitor on Grid Iron
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 07:21:42 PM »

When did the ceramic igniters become standard? I bought my GS in April. I don't know if it is ceramic or not. How would I know?

westcoastsmoke

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »

Call Tim with a serial number of your grill and they will know. Or check their video and compare ceramic to your ignitor?

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »

When did the ceramic igniters become standard? I bought my GS in April. I don't know if it is ceramic or not. How would I know?
Just look in the fire pot. If there is a hot rod sticking in below the auger pipe, it is not ceramic. The ceramic does not protrude into the fire pot.  My hot rod just failed yesterday, so I spoke to Tim today.  Currently there is no retrofit for the ceramic ignitor, but he says they are working on it.  Also it will be a bit expensive.  However, my hot rod lasted 2.5 years, and is easy to replace. (if you don't mind working the unit from below while on your back)  Should not take more than 30 minutes IMO.  Only problem for me is finding a warmer day to do it.  Currently rain, freezing and snow tonight.  Most hot rods last even longer like 5 years on my son's Traeger.  In the meantime I started up the grill tonight by pulling the fire pot assembly, placing a large handful of pellets into it and firing it up with a butane torch, then shoving the assembly back into the GS and pushing the start button.  Make sure the pellets are burning well before you push it back in and don't push the start button until the pot is in place.  Good luck, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Blessed Holidays to all.  :cool:

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »

Not a difficult task to replace ignitor - I took couple pictures but do not feel they are needed.

0. Unplug the smoker!
1. Take out grates, tray, burner cover, burn pot
2. Undo 6 bolts holding bottom plate under the ignitor and remove the plate
3. Tim sent a hex wrench with the new ignitor. Use it to loosen set screw on the bottom of the clamp ring holding old ignitor in place.
4. Undo plastic plug marked in purple from the control board and gently pull out the old ignitor through the side hole near the fan.
5. Feed the new ignitor though the hole - wires are stiff enough to push it through.
6. Old ignitor was sticking out 1.25 inches past the auger tube. New one is marked in blue to stick out only .75 inches - I double checked with Tim to be sure.
7. Tighten the hex screw in the clamp ring. Try the burn pot to make sure ignitor is centered though the corresponding hole. Plug the ignitor back to the control board.
8. Re-install the bottom plate - couple screws came out at an angle - must be a bit of warpage from the heat. Just be careful not to cross thread them - use patience.
9. Re-install all the remaining pieces, plug in and smoke away!
10. No more popping breaker!

I also got a WIFI module, will try to install tonight or tomorrow.

Just changed the ignitor on my GS 2 weeks ago.  The above instructions are correct and easy to do.  When done I found that the ignitor would strike the upper edge of the fire pot hole when pushing the firepot into place.  Attempt at re-positioning the ignitor did not change the position since the clamp is welded into position.  Solution:  round rat tail file to the point of contact on the fire pot hole.  Just took off about a 64th of inch and the hole was not enlarged significantly. Now easy slide into place without contact of the hot rod.  All of this in 34 degree temp--but lot of sunlight and no wind.  :clap: :cool:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up