Recipe Section > Deli & Charcuterie

Potatiskorv ... Swedish Potatoe Sausage

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bentley:
Pork is always going to be shoulder for price, and I am a Novice I don't know any better...I guess I was not sure how much fat, should be in it?  I am also cheap and it is sausage...it is always going to be the cheapest cut with most fat, me, it probably would have been round with a nice fat cap.

Bentley:
It looks like it might almost have that summer sausage texture to me...what die did you use?

sleebus.jones:

--- Quote from: Queball on August 30, 2017, 06:39:33 AM ---Bentley,
Based on your sausage making experience, for the beef and pork, what cuts would you use?

--- End quote ---

I know this was pointed at Bently, but I can help out here.  :)

The go-to pork for me is Pork Shoulder/Butt.  It's naturally around 70/30 so very good cut for sausage.  If you can fine boneless shoulder for a good price, then use that...saves you the trouble of boning out the butt (that does NOT sound right).  If I see boneless country style ribs on sale I nab those, 'cause they're just pork shoulder sliced.  Next choice would be a pork picnic, those work fine too.  Other cuts are too lean to use without adding some hard backfat.

For beef, I've used brisket point and chuck.  Again, it's (relatively) cheap and fatty, which is what you want in sausage.  Chuck and point are both very flavorful.  Sirloin would be the next choice, but again you'd want to add fat, and you'd want to add Pork fat, not Beef, as beef fat is regarded as inferior in flavor.

Hope this helps!  I do a fair bit of sausage.  To avoid hijacking this thread, if you start another off with questions, I'll answer there.

pz:
I'm interested in starting sausage making on a small scale. Yours sounds like a delicious holiday sausage Queball - I'll need to keep this one bookmarked to try this season  :clap:

Quadman750:
Mmmmmmmm Pierogies.  For my pierogies I sauté mushrooms and add half-and-half cream and simmer for quite some time until it thickens and I pour over my pierogies makes a great mushroom gravy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View