Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FIRE!!  (Read 1347 times)

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
FIRE!!
« on: December 16, 2017, 07:54:09 PM »

Went out & uncovered the DC to cook a couple rib eyes, Hit the start button  & went back in the house Few minutes later I went out & turned the temp up to 525. minutes later it said 325 I put the steaks on & went back into the house. Figured 6 minutes a side then check internal as these were pretty thick.

Six minutes later I go out & the grill temp is 345 & real smokey I'm thinking what DAAAA..... & I look and I forgot to open up the chimney cap!! Open it up & the temp instantly starts to climb. How could I forget something I check every time!

Six minutes later I have a FIRE!! Take the steaks off & hit the fan mode & closed it up. Grill got so hot that the stainless lid warped, it went back into its shape when cooled, Steaks were a bit to smokey but done to perfection. Grill looks like it got a good cleaning with everything burnt off of it. Cooled off now, checked some things with a flashlight, grates haven't been this clean in a long time & the 3 1/2 years of buildup in the chimney is gone. Will have to do further investigating tomorrow when its light out
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
Re: FIRE!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 07:58:13 PM »

Sounds like an exciting night.
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »

Self cleaning mode!  I hope nothing was harmed.  I'm new at this pellet grill park and I'm still a bit nervous about things like this. 

rwalters

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 09:01:58 PM »

We’re cooking with fire...it’s bound to happen sooner or later... glad things appear to be ok :)

Fire708

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Shelton!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 12:23:22 AM »

Glad you, your house and your grill are ok.  we all have those “dangit” moments.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 10:04:11 AM »

FIRE!!  FIRE!!  FIRE!!  I'm glad to hear nothing was lost but a few bad words.  Let us know what came of it.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

silverbullet

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 12:56:12 PM »

Mine is an older DC with a mfg date of 9/2013 & I bought it in 4/2014 & have used it pretty extensively over the years. I have had absolutely no problems with it over the years. I store it under a cover under the eave of the house & always move it away from the house when using.

Upon further review this morning all I can say its a heck of a way to clean your grill. 3 1/2 years of soot & gunk in the chimney are gone and the small holes in the drip tray are once again all open. Doesn't seem any worse for wear except the stainless lid now in some places has a bronze & blue coloring to it. Grates haven't been this clean in a long time. Scraped & vacuumed everything & placed a handful of pellets in the pot for priming purposes. Should be good to go for next time!
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

WayneB

• Using less gas.
  • Ashburn, Va.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »

What did you cook last? I had this happen twice after cooking bacon, then setting the temp for over 425°  for the next cook. If you cook something greasy, turn up the grill to just under 400 and let it burn off some before shutdown so it burns the grease off below ignition temp.

silverbullet

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 08:26:47 PM »

What did you cook last? I had this happen twice after cooking bacon, then setting the temp for over 425°  for the next cook. If you cook something greasy, turn up the grill to just under 400 and let it burn off some before shutdown so it burns the grease off below ignition temp.

I couldn't tell ya, Pit's 3 1/2 years old. It WAS well seasoned!
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 07:16:50 AM »

it may have been dumping extra pellets to reach the higher temp then when you opened up the chimney cap  the additional air flow ignited the extra pellets and managed to start your chain reaction and Voila!!! Fire in the Hole... had this happen on the DB, on the positive side you get to re-season it...
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »

OR, it could have been a "buildup" of nasties that got to the point of  being just enough to cause the fire.  Sounds to me like a lesson well learned.

Merry Christmas.

silverbullet

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 07:55:21 PM »

it may have been dumping extra pellets to reach the higher temp then when you opened up the chimney cap  the additional air flow ignited the extra pellets and managed to start your chain reaction and Voila!!! Fire in the Hole... had this happen on the DB, on the positive side you get to re-season it...

That's what I was thinking. I used it tonight to cook some porkchops. All is well!
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24
Pages: [1]   Go Up