Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: does anybody have experience with the Timberline?  (Read 3986 times)

JBsuperG

• Using less gas.
does anybody have experience with the Timberline?
« on: December 19, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »

I am interested in replacing my GMG JB with a Traeger Timberline.  Before I do I would like to find a review that is not sponsored by Traeger.

Do we have a Pelletfan Member that has used one?  I am mostly interested in how even the temps are throughout the grill.  I love all the shelves built into this unit.

dk117

Re: does anybody have experience with the Timberline?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 12:22:45 PM »

I too am interested.  850 seems to be a rock star, 1300 not so much.  This is after a quick search here and the interwebs.   Also I got that directly from a Traeger rep in August.

Hopefully we have some PelletFans willing to give us the real scoop. 

DK

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 01:20:02 PM »

Someone should comment shortly as their were a few posts on P H shortly before its demise

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 08:23:42 PM »

Looks to be a really nice unit! Would be curious to see it in its super smoke mode.

Years ago I started with a Traeger LiL Tex. Then sold it & moved to GMG's as seen in my signature. One of the things I miss about the Traeger is I believe it put out more than the GMG's I could put 4 Butts on the GMG JB & 4 on the LiL Tex & it just seemed to cook better, get done quicker. Not to take anything away from the GMG's.

I'm looking to move on from my GMG JB this spring. Simply because its to big for what I need. When the dealer calls & said she got her shipment in, Its gonna be a CS 450
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

tmb2735

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 08:56:10 PM »

I have a Timberline 850 which replaced an old Traeger BBQ 100 and a Genesis gas grill. It is my main go to for everything.

Pros:
Good even heat across the whole unit. I don't have any real hot or cold spots. Although I did not test it fully against my remote probe.
It will get to 500 and stay there. but it does take time. I use grill grates for searing.
Good pellet consumption.
Works pretty well in cold weather. Did chicken at 350 when it was below freezing. Wind does not affect it too much.
I like the APP I can sit on the couch and control the unit while watching the Bears lose.
No bad temp swings, runs usually within 5 degrees. temp does drop a lot when you open it up.
I do a lot of overnight smokes with no issues yet. (knock on wood)

Cons:
Front shelf is kind of useless.
only one food probe and it seems off from my Maverick instant read. maybe 5 degrees. Not sure which one is off. I need to test.
Have to clean it a lot. like every 20 hours of use.
Grease trap set up is funky. I've had a couple grease fires when I do high heat and don't clean it first. Only a few and not major.
No direct sear design as on some other units. You would think on a total redesign they would have it.
Not made in US
Oh, Super smoke setting is questionable. I only use it for reverse sear steaks. The problem seems to be unclean burning of pellets do to the fan cycling completely off for a second or two. This can cause sooting issues. This is not an issue for me because I do long smokes at 250 anyway. Maybe this can be fixed in the future by a firmware update.
Do need to realize that it is a direct auger feed and can cause burn back into the auger tube. When I cook at high temps, I back it down in increments before starting the shutdown phase. No problems for me.

My finalists were the timberline or Blazn. Loved Memphis, but could not justify price. Timberline only won out because I saw one at a dealer by my work and put it in the SUV that day. No buyers remorse for me. Very happy with it and I love to cook on it. Ribs, Brisket, Shoulder, Turkey, burgers, steak, chops.

Please ask questions or raise any concerns and I will answer as objectively as I can. I'm not a cheerleader for Traeger. There are so many good brands out there now! When I started Traeger was the only pellet grill.
I hope this helps!

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 09:09:12 PM »

I've read enough on it, don't buy it. At that price point get a mak.
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

bproffer

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 10:30:50 AM »

I have a Timberline 850 which replaced an old Traeger BBQ 100 and a Genesis gas grill. It is my main go to for everything.

Pros:
Good even heat across the whole unit. I don't have any real hot or cold spots. Although I did not test it fully against my remote probe.
It will get to 500 and stay there. but it does take time. I use grill grates for searing.
Good pellet consumption.
Works pretty well in cold weather. Did chicken at 350 when it was below freezing. Wind does not affect it too much.
I like the APP I can sit on the couch and control the unit while watching the Bears lose.
No bad temp swings, runs usually within 5 degrees. temp does drop a lot when you open it up.

Cons:
only one food probe and it seems off from my Maverick instant read. maybe 5 degrees. Not sure which one is off. I need to test.
Grease trap set up is funky. I've had a couple grease fires when I do high heat and don't clean it first. Only a few and not major.
No direct sear design as on some other units. You would think on a total redesign they would have it.
Not made in US
Oh, Super smoke setting is questionable. I only use it for reverse sear steaks. The problem seems to be unclean burning of pellets do to the fan cycling completely off for a second or two. This can cause sooting issues. This is not an issue for me because I do long smokes at 250 anyway. Maybe this can be fixed in the future by a firmware update.
Do need to realize that it is a direct auger feed and can cause burn back into the auger tube. When I cook at high temps, I back it down in increments before starting the shutdown phase. No problems for me.

My finalists were the timberline or Blazn. Loved Memphis, but could not justify price. Timberline only won out because I saw one at a dealer by my work and put it in the SUV that day. No buyers remorse for me. Very happy with it and I love to cook on it. Ribs, Brisket, Shoulder, Turkey, burgers, steak, chops.

Please ask questions or raise any concerns and I will answer as objectively as I can. I'm not a cheerleader for Traeger. There are so many good brands out there now! When I started Traeger was the only pellet grill.
I hope this helps!

I agree with this. I have a 1300 and have had a ton of issues, but to be fair they have all pretty much been addressed with the exception of the "super smoke" mode. It is just ok and creates some soot but not as bad as it was. It has some nice features like the built in wifi controller, lid gasket, double wall construction. I think the food it puts out is on par with most other pellet cookers and not really worth the premium. I think my $900 Traeger texas put out food that was on par with what the Timberline puts out. For $2k, I don't think I would buy it again. I would go back to a Yoder.

JBsuperG

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 12:29:23 PM »

Pros:
Good pellet consumption.

Cons:
Not made in US

I hope this helps!

I agree with this. I have a 1300 and have had a ton of issues, but to be fair they have all pretty much been addressed with the exception of the "super smoke" mode. It is just ok and creates some soot but not as bad as it was. It has some nice features like the built in wifi controller, lid gasket, double wall construction. I think the food it puts out is on par with most other pellet cookers and not really worth the premium. I think my $900 Traeger texas put out food that was on par with what the Timberline puts out. For $2k, I don't think I would buy it again. I would go back to a Yoder.
Thanks for the input.  The only other thing I wonder about is the temp comparison throughout the grill against a remote thermometer.

JBsuperG

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 12:31:22 PM »

does mak have 3 shelves in it and double wall construction?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 01:30:40 PM »

No and No.  Save your $ and buy a Memphis Elite if that is what you require in a pellet grill.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »

No, it has two levels, but mak has better cooking dimensions (you want 19" deep) and double wall construction isn't that big of an issue.

Mak and memphis are a league above the timberline (which will be obvious when you see them) but the timberline costs as much as a mak 1 star.

What's your budget?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:35:46 PM by Vision »

dk117

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »

No, it has two levels, but mak has better cooking dimensions (you want 19" deep) and double wall construction isn't that big of an issue.

Mak and memphis are a league above the timberline (which will be obvious when you see them) but the timberline costs as much as a mak 1 star.

What's your budget?
The Timberline is a league above the previous Traeger lineup.  We'll really need a performance test here or we're all just measuring our own units.

DK

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 04:55:32 PM »

Traeger does not seem to be interested in a PF performance test.

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »

The Timberline is a league above the previous Traeger lineup.  We'll really need a performance test here or we're all just measuring our own units.

DK

I think it's hard for a company to make a high end smoker when that's not been their traditional marketplace.

JBsuperG

• Using less gas.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 07:40:01 PM »

I would spend about $3000. 

What I like about the timberline is for that price you get...

a lot of space
3 removable shelves
wifi
double walls
gasket

the only thing it does not have that I would like is a direct flame option.  If the temps are even throughout I think it would be worth it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up