Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Dec 2017
  • I would send some private messages to those that have it and ask some more questions before you settle on it.  I, personally, would get concerned when someone who owns it says that they would be looking to get rid of it or if they had to do it again wouldn't buy it.
  • #17 by Vision on 20 Dec 2017
  • I would spend about $3000. 

What I like about the timberline is for that price you get...

a lot of space
    3 removable shelves
    wifi
    double walls
    gasket

the only thing it does not have that I would like is a direct flame option.  If the temps are even throughout I think it would be worth it.

You seem to have really bought into the marketing. If you want to buy one go ahead.

You're thinking of buying a ford which has a new model that is priced as a bmw or mercedes. Does that seem like a good idea?

a lot of space
    It's not practical space, check out the dimensions

3 removable shelves
    And what will you smoke on that small third shelf with probably significant temp differential?

wifi
    Every high end smoker offers wifi. I don't have it as I can't understand why I'd need it.

double walls
    Do you live in a very cold climate? Even then it doesn't matter much.

gasket
    That's just silly. You don't need a gasket.
  • #18 by Vision on 20 Dec 2017
  • Bar-B-Lew, what are your thoughts on mak vs memphis?
  • #19 by WiPelletHead on 20 Dec 2017
  • This has turned into a fan boy of the grill you own thread.

JB asked for replies from people that own one.

A couple replied that did.

But he didn't ask what grill to buy.

My  :2cents:
  • #20 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Dec 2017

They both have some features I like over the other for different reasons and they are both about 5 years old and their newer models have different features than mine.  I can tell you that in my cook the other weekend in 7.5 inches of snow, the Memphis performed much closer to set temp than the MAK did.

MAK - love new ignitor, like upper rack system which will hold more larger cuts of meat then the Memphis, like my side cold smoker chamber, 50/50 on my wifi addition, like my front shelf, like the pellet dump, don't like auger system, controller LED died on me on first controller, 2nd controller had trouble pushing buttons in cold weather
    Memphis - love temp consistency and cooking in cold weather, can hold 13-14 racks of baby backs with shelf system, prefer pellet drop into fire pot, do not like ash and grease catching system
  • #21 by rwalters on 20 Dec 2017

They both have some features I like over the other for different reasons and they are both about 5 years old and their newer models have different features than mine.  I can tell you that in my cook the other weekend in 7.5 inches of snow, the Memphis performed much closer to set temp than the MAK did.

MAK - love new ignitor, like upper rack system which will hold more larger cuts of meat then the Memphis, like my side cold smoker chamber, 50/50 on my wifi addition, like my front shelf, like the pellet dump, don't like auger system, controller LED died on me on first controller, 2nd controller had trouble pushing buttons in cold weather
    Memphis - love temp consistency and cooking in cold weather, can hold 13-14 racks of baby backs with shelf system, prefer pellet drop into fire pot, do not like ash and grease catching system
    Interesting stuff! So, if you had to choose between a new 2 Star or Elite, and could only have one, which and why? Curious.
  • #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Dec 2017
  • Probably the MAK because it is more flexible and less expensive...but i reserve the right to change my mind. ;D
  • #23 by rwalters on 20 Dec 2017
  • Probably the MAK because it is more flexible and less expensive...but i reserve the right to change my mind. ;D
    What if it was going to be your one and only cooker? Still the MAK?
  • #24 by dk117 on 21 Dec 2017
  • what's the deal with hijacking the Traeger Timberline thread?  Start your own thread. 

DK
    • dk117
  • #25 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Dec 2017
  • So, only 2 people of the 600 members on here have a Timberline and are willing to share their experiences with it?
  • #26 by JBsuperG on 21 Dec 2017
  • I have been using pellet grills for several years now.  I own both a GMG DC and JB.  Over the years I have modified these grills to fit my needs as best they can.  I have turned out what in my opinion and the opinions of many friends and family (providing they are honest with me) some excellent bbq.

in this time I have learned what Would interest me in a future grill.  This is why I asked for options of OWNERS of the Timberline their first hand experience.  As I am sure there are many excellent grills owned by others.  I do not need to be told what I should want, but rather first hand experience from those who own the grill I am interested in.

That said. Thank you to the two Pellet Fans who offered their first hand experience with the timberline.
  • #27 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Dec 2017
  • I am curious since the GMG has the largest % of ownership on those who posted on the poll here, what is it about the Timberline that you desire that the GMG does not have?  Is it the double walled and the racking system of the Timberline?  I don't know much about the GMG grills and was surprised that they had the largest ownership on here.
  • #28 by rwalters on 21 Dec 2017
  • Have you been to the ‘Traeger Timberline Owners’ Facebook page? Lots of owners/info there :)
  • #29 by Canadian John on 21 Dec 2017
  •  By me and DK117, this should be in the Traeger section..It would make an archival search easier especially to someone not familiar to P F.

Merry Christmas.
  • #30 by JBsuperG on 21 Dec 2017
  • I am curious since the GMG has the largest % of ownership on those who posted on the poll here, what is it about the Timberline that you desire that the GMG does not have?  Is it the double walled and the racking system of the Timberline?  I don't know much about the GMG grills and was surprised that they had the largest ownership on here.
    That is a fair question.  When I first bought my GMG JB they were the first to have wifi.  That was what sold me.  My wife and I entertain almost every weekend in the summers.  We live on a River so it is not uncommon for us to be on the water all day while cooking.  I regularly use the wifi on my grill and tappecue to monitor my cooks.  The size of the GMG JB accommodates most of the time.  However, after years of tweaking the grill it is still a little unpredictable as far as the temps go.  Sometimes it is within 5* left to right, other times it can very 100* left to right even when set up the same.

I think that what interested me the most about the Timberline 1300 is the amount of space.  It has height and a removable rack system that comes standard at.  If it holds even temps (within 30*) throughout the chamber then I would like the grill, because it would also allow me to monitor and control my cooks while away from the grill for long periods of time. 

If the Timberline 1300 offers that kind of control and features for only $2000 that is great.  To get that much space in a MAK or Memphis I would have to spend twice that.  If I was interested in one of those other grills for the higher price I would still be trying to find out from owners how even the temps are throughout the grills.
Pages:
Actions