Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Advantages to Cooking "Inside"  (Read 1376 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Advantages to Cooking "Inside"
« on: December 19, 2017, 02:01:42 PM »

Please,don't put a contract out on me.  It is just I that I have several years of cooking in all weather conditions and found the cold coupled with darkness and at times wind,a tad more challenging than I care for.. A clear sunny day is hard to beat especially if

I haven't cooked outside in a few days.  This doesn't mean I have given up on outdoor cooks until Spring. I am still at it.

Inside advantages: - Warmth and comfort.

- The aroma..That is one reason uncle Bentley and Kristin elected to do their T G turkey inside.

- Save on pellets. An excuse I know.

- All in all less work. Getting lazy. Who me?

- Get to use my cast iron cookware more.. I enjoy using it find it helps me produce better tasting indoor food.

That's it folks.  Merry Christmas

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Advantages to Cooking "Inside"
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 02:34:03 PM »

When you stay cooking inside are you talking about cooking in your kitchen compared to cooking on your pit?
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

urnmor

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 03:42:19 PM »

I clearly understand especially for someone as old as you :lick:.  (See I am still a young buck at 73 years young :cool:).  In fact lately I have been doing much of my cooking inside with my Air Fryer and SV.  Not sure why but probably for the same reasons: it is dark and has been wet and damp.  It is funny that this is the first year I have not cooked outside in the cold. 

Old Smokey

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 04:00:19 PM »

I understand. Last Sunday I cooked some bacon wrapped Filet Mignon. I was going to do a reverse sear starting on my GMG and finishing on my Weber gasser. The GMG is down stairs and the Weber is right outside my living room.

I got lazy and decided just to cook it on my Weber. They still came out great.

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 08:00:55 PM »

I don't mind cooking in the cold. Or going for a Motorcycle ride on a Crisp day. That's half the fun here! I just hop in the Hot Tub to warm up! Its soooooo relaxing!
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 08:48:42 PM »

I cook year round but I'm in NC. Now last week the temp got down into the 20s and yes I had the smoker going  :bbq: :cool:
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 09:44:17 PM »

The forecast was for 1-2 inches over about 10+ hours.  We ended up with 7.5 inches in about 8 hours.  I probably would not have cooked had I known it would snow so much and had I not already brined all of the meat.

MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 08:05:29 AM »

triplebq - "inside" = inside the house, the kitchen.

silverbullet - I too did enjoy riding my "R" series BMW almost year round. That is until conditions got too bad.

Bar-B-Lew- As I stated in your show us your pits post, that pic should be made into a Christmas card. Its superb.

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »

I did Thanksgiving inside... I think it was actually the first turkey I had ever cooked in a oven.   I'm probably not going to do anything very fancy for Christmas this year, aging parents are struggling with issues, and just so many things going on that it's hard to try and make a big fancy feast for my immediate family.    But whatever I do, it will probably be outside... well , in my cooking shack anyway.

I haven't made any bacon yet this fall/winter, my stock piles are getting thin... I have next week off from work, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a couple pork bellies today and get them curing , for a lat next week smoke session.  I do also still have a small frozen turkey , that I bought at thanksgiving ( before finding a good deal on a already thawed (described as fresh on the package) ), I'll likely thaw that out and smoke the thing near the end of next week too... 

It is supposed to get cold again around here, but my smoking shack makes it mostly not so bad to cook 'outside'.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Polekitty

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 01:30:19 PM »

I live just north of the DFW area and sitting here next to the fireplace. It’s 37 outside, windy and damp and I’m thinking about smoking a turkey, but as soon as I get started I’ll be second guessing myself about doing it.

dk117

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 02:05:42 PM »

get some outdoor lighting!   It's wet, it's dark, it's windy.   Covered is ideal, but lighting changes everything.    I am year round more of an outside cook than inside.

DK

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 04:32:28 PM »

Christmas Eve dinner with the family goes on in the Memphis parked in the driveway for all to see.
The weather looks good. Probably firing up the PerfectMix @ about 11:00 AM.
It won’t be dark or windy and will be hitting around 30ish. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 04:58:05 PM by Trooper »
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Fire708

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Shelton!
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 10:50:20 AM »

I go by the song from Elf, “Baby it’s cold outside!” I have a covered area that I can use during the rain, I just done like to sit out in the cold. Once it gets below 40, I cook inside.
The nice thing about western WA is today it may be too cold for me but tomorrow it’s warmed up and raining again (or still).

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »

I don't think I should comment on this subject because of where we live.  I keep an eye on the temp where Canadian John lives when the weather is on (I think he is near International Falls) and I don't blame him for staying inside.  Anything below 60 degrees and I've got a thick insulated Carhartt brush jacket on.  I don't like cold.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 11:27:02 AM »

Ok for slow cooks to do inside.  However, since I started grilling my wife hates to smoke up the house with high temp grilling, so all the hot stuff gets done outside.  However, I have an overhead porch, good lighting, and lots of heavy clothing.  Also, my GS goes right up to 500* and handles the job well. Also, it might be the only time I get outside on a day like this (29* and 1" snow last night).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up