Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picked up my Christmas prime rib  (Read 1308 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Picked up my Christmas prime rib
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 10:44:19 PM »

I am changing my views on how to cook beef roast.  Used to be sear and then medium high heat, then rest, then back in pit to finish to any IT I like, was the way I was taught and that meant it was the best way.

I have a friend on the Smoke, Fire & Food forum Urban Griller and respect his cooking ability. He had a post and his reason made sense to me and I had to reevaluate my positions... He cooks at lower temperatures also.  He will brown the meat with a weed burner before he starts the cooking process, since his cooking temperature is to low to do it in the cook.  He also does not like the reverse sear in a roast cook (still like it for steaks, still not for me) because he finds that the high heat tends to stress the meat fiber and cause constriction.  Also, since the meat has been cooked at a low temperature and has not had high heat that can cause tension on the meat fibers, there is no real need to rest the meat at the end. 

I am a hard sell, my way is always better...I have the quote in my signature because I have lived a large majority with that mind set...I am slowing changing that with time...

MOWIN - You pull @ 130, do you do any reverse sear on it at all?

No reverse sear if I pull at 130*.   I've pulled at 115-120 and RS, but the results didn't "WOW" me or my guests over ones I've pulled at 130* and let rest.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:00:33 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 07:45:41 AM »

I"ll be doing a whole tenderloin this year but let me comment on my past experiences with rib roasts.

The ambient temperature for cooking at Christmastime  has usually been in the 30's. I try to keep by Memphis or MAK at 235.

1. I fell that the reverse seal is pretty much - not necessary.

2. A very interesting aspect to my process was the "rest". I loosely tent the meat when it is at my preferred temperature and leave it alone on the counter with a probe in place. My goal is to let the meat continue to rise until it peaks and then the temperature starts to recede. This usually results in nearly a 10 degree rise in temperature and takes almost a full hour to peak.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 08:00:40 AM »

I am leaning toward cooking it at 225° until it hits about 125° and then pulling.  I plan to then refrigerate it and slice it up a day or two later.

Anyone cut slits in it and stuff garlic bulbs in it?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 08:24:50 AM »

Never inserted garlic in a PR, but don't see why not.
I rub with SPOG, a little heavier on the ”G”, lol

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 05:29:10 PM »

I am leaning toward cooking it at 225° until it hits about 125° and then pulling.  I plan to then refrigerate it and slice it up a day or two later.

Anyone cut slits in it and stuff garlic bulbs in it?

I used to cut slits, but now I just stuff a whole lot of cloves between the roast and chine bone. The flavor seems to permeate throughout.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 06:03:32 PM »

I have in lesser cut but not a rib roast.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up