Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Clonesmoker on 28 Aug 2017
  • Just about 19.5 hours on the DB. Overnight at 180 then up to 240 for the last 6 hours. Let them cool for about an hour and pulled. Did not even foil! That is six 10 lb pork shoulders.
  • #2 by Bentley on 28 Aug 2017
  • Nice post!  Welcome!

Do the bear claws get greasy and hard to handle?  You use them so I am gonna assume you like them?
  • #3 by pmillen on 28 Aug 2017
  • I'll have a sandwich, thanks.

Okay, so the photographs are rotated in the post but not if I click on the link.  I think QuadMan750 had the same situation.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Aug 2017
  • Nice bark.

Bentley, I have not used those bear claws, but have used the plastic ones.  I was not a fan of them.  I bought Meat Rakes and liked those better.  Most of the time lately, I just take 2 forks and use them to pull as the meat is already falling apart from being in the foil after the stall.
  • #5 by Jcorwin818 on 28 Aug 2017
  • I normally put on the gloves and use my hands.  Next week I have to cook 26 Butts for my wife's church picnic so I bought a Stainless chopper that fits in a drill and I will be using that to shred the butts.  Tried the claws and I'm not a big fan of them.
  • #6 by Bentley on 28 Aug 2017
  • OK, as I look closer, they are not bear claws...my mistake.  Have a friend that used to say, if the pork is cooked correctly all the way through all you need is two sturdy spatulas.  He would just use them like 2 cleavers in a metal steam try!  They did work.  I am a cool till I can touch and hand guy!. 
  • #7 by TLK on 28 Aug 2017
  • I have never tried the claws but have always heard mixed results.  I usually put on a pair of gloves and pull by hand.
  • #8 by riverrat49 on 28 Aug 2017
  • Who needs claws...
  • #9 by Bentley on 28 Aug 2017
  • Is that a Roman PP like Jim did the Product Review on PH...or is that the one you and your father(?) made...
  • #10 by Jimsbarbecue on 28 Aug 2017
  • Who needs claws...
    i use the same method.
  • #11 by riverrat49 on 29 Aug 2017
  • Yes a Roman, belongs to the guy that owns the Traeger Com 200 in the background.

Is that a Roman PP like Jim did the Product Review on PH...or is that the one you and your father(?) made...
  • #12 by TechMOGogy on 06 Sep 2017
  • I have a Roman too but have found that it shreds the pork vs pulling
    Sometimes I like bigger chuncks vs fine shred.
    YMMV
  • #13 by ZCZ on 06 Sep 2017
  • Impressed by the magnitude of your cook:

SIX

10 LBS EACH

AWESOME!!

Z
  • #14 by LowSlowFoShow on 06 Sep 2017
  • I normally put on the gloves and use my hands. 

Same but I normally only cook 2 at a time!
  • #15 by Yelnoc on 27 Sep 2017
  • I normally put on the gloves and use my hands.  Next week I have to cook 26 Butts for my wife's church picnic so I bought a Stainless chopper that fits in a drill and I will be using that to shred the butts.  Tried the claws and I'm not a big fan of them.

Me too - after they rest and cool a bit.  I do not shred or chop, I try for big chunks and slices where I can.  After a couple hundred you know where the tubes, etc.  are and where the excess fat is.  I have the plastic claws but never used them....I just prefer it not look like of the chopped to powder Carolina stuff.  Just me.
    • Yelnoc
Pages:
Actions