For BBQ Competitors > Judges Corner

What Competition is next?

(1/3) > >>

Bentley:
I have not been a Member of KCBS since 2015 so I guess I would have to re-up.  Maybe Fredericksburg, VA next May.

triplebq:
I will be judging Tilley's in Salisbury, NC this weekend. Great event.

GrillinGlen:
Judging "Blues, Brews and BBQ" in Boise on Saturday.  It's a KCBS event

Kristin Meredith:
Hope you both will post something about your experiences at those competitions.

GrillinGlen:
Last Saturday was the Rock n Brew and BBQ comp in Boise, a KCBS event that I judged for the second year. (also my second go at judging)  28 teams came, 14 I think last year (first year).  There was 33 judges so they made 5 tables and 2 of them had table captains that doubled as judges.  I recognized the KCBS reps from The Royal.  A few of the judges were local but most from the NW same with the teams.  I was pretty impressed with the turn ins, all the chicken entries I got were very nice, I dinged one down for appearance a bit but they really were solid entries.  (all thighs)  Of the ribs 2 were slightly under cooked, and the other 3 were spot on.  The first rib was way spicy and it took a lot of water and crackers to get my taste back.  Good flavor on the rest.  Only 2 of the pork had pulled on it, the other 3 were just slices from different parts of the butt.  The sliced presentations looked a lot nicer than the shreds. One pork had great flavor except it was a bit over smoked and had some after taste. I think it belonged to the team that was using a cheap charbroiler offset with white/grey smoke billowing out.  I dread dry brisket, only 1 of the 5 or 6 entries was, the rest were right on.  Only one had just slices, rest had burnt ends.  Being a newbee judge (and a competitor first) Im probably judging to nice.  I gave out 8 and 9 and a few 7, nothing lower.  Just curious, for those experienced judges if you had a piece of pork that tasted good except for being over a bit over smoked what would you give it for taste?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View