Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT DO YOU LIKE or DISLIKE ABOUT YOUR MEMPHIS "PRO"  (Read 967 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
WHAT DO YOU LIKE or DISLIKE ABOUT YOUR MEMPHIS "PRO"
« on: December 23, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »

Not to mislead anyone, I  will reserve my comments until later. 

Care to comment, good or bad?

Merry Christmas.

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
Re: WHAT DO YOU LIKE or DISLIKE ABOUT YOUR MEMPHIS "PRO"
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »

Only negatives I can think of - wish the flame zone was bigger, price, have to clean the fire pot often ( but it’s easy, see positives)
Positives- double wall,( no problems in cold , windy weather,)  thrifty pellet usage, pellet bin holds enough to easily get through an overnight cook and then some,  fast to preheat, even heat across grates, all stainless, easy to get to fire pot to clean, can clean fire pot with the Memphis tool, (don’t have to vacuum ), direct flame (flame zone), super well built, dependable, mAde in USA, amazing temp control, food probe, (never used) can set a target temp for probe and the pit will drop to 180 when it’s reached to keep food warm, (never used), foil cake pans fit in the drawers for ash and grease. (I use regular cheap cake pans and scape them out ) generates plenty of smoke (some say it doesn’t but I say BS) WiFi available, I don’t have it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 04:47:48 PM by GrillinGlen »
2011 SS Memphis Pro

Ssteppe

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 05:18:18 PM »

The only annoying thing about my older powder coated model is the rivets in the heat deflector/shield. When I'm using the Memphis tool to scrape the deflector, it keeps getting caught up on the rivets.
Mine's too old to convert to open flame or wifi, so can't comment on something I've never had.

I love the digital display, double insulated lid, narrow temperature control. I've used it many times in the summer as an oven - keeps temperature as well as my indoor oven; never have to adjust time or temperature for recipes.
I've never had a different pellet grill to compare, but I feel it's easy on the pellets - I usually just buy once or twice a year when I catch them on sale.
Memphis Pro - low and slow in Hoosier land.

Canadian John

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 01:57:45 PM »

All the above except I use the meat probe. I find it read ~10º low.

-The Pros:

No square corners to snag a cover on.

Extremely easy to get @ the burn pot:slide 2 centre grates to the side and light out the heat deflector. Almost too easy.

Isolated igniter. Doesn't touch metal thus greatly reducing tripping the GFCI.

Nothing to modify or fool with. It's all there...

Fly ash tends to stay below the heat deflector.

No grease bucket or troughs that I found high maintenance on my previous pit..As the bottom is an inverted triangle, the grease flows down into the drip pans. It mixes w/ the ash, forms a paste and easy scooped up.

Long warranty.

Super factory service:easy to talk to and extremely knowledgable.

-The Cons:

The power cord has a cleat for storage. I don't like winding the cord on this as it is cumbersome plus I feel it weakens the cord. I made a "J"  hook that is easier to use.

The meat probe seems to read 10º under actual..I take the setting into account and isn't a problem for me.

A front shelf would be nice at times. Not sure how much I would use it. Not available from Memphis.

Nothing to fool or modify - it just works.

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
WHAT DO YOU LIKE or DISLIKE ABOUT YOUR MEMPHIS "PRO"
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »

In for more thoughts.  I love my yoder, but something about the Memphis....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree! There’s just something about the Memphis... perhaps it is the eye candy status it holds
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:53:20 AM by rwalters »

Canadian John

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 10:52:08 AM »

Forgot about its looks/eye candy. To me I would be hard pressed to find anything better. Looks don't make the cook better. In this case it's an enhancement to all the attributes.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:19:28 PM by Canadian John »
Pages: [1]   Go Up