Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Help a newb pick a pit  (Read 5798 times)

FSUwelder1212

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Help a newb pick a pit
« on: December 24, 2017, 11:38:10 AM »

Hi all, my name is Aaron. I am not only new to the forum, but new to pellet smokers in general (although I have used my brother in laws traeger a few times). I'm the type of person to "buy once, cry once" and purchase the best equipment I can afford when I get into something. I've been researching for a while now and am kind of stuck and hoping you can help me come to a decision. I had initially decided on a Blaze'n Grand Slam, but after multiple unanswered emails, have major concerns about customer support, if they can't even bother to answer a few questions to sell me a grill what happens after they already have my money and I have an issue? So I am looking at other options. My budget is $2k max. I may be able to stretch that, however, my bride of 2.5 months may castrate me if I do...The grills I am looking at and my thoughts are as follows:

Firecraft Q450- looks like a great option, however, no ceramic ignition means I will be replacing ignitors frequently, and limited accessory options (I would like an upper shelf and a front or side shelf, also there is nothing tying the legs together like a bottom shelf, makes me wonder how rigid it is.

Rec Tec RT680- This seems to be a good grill, but I cant help but feel like it is overpriced and overhyped. It lacks a number of features that are becoming almost standard at the price point. I have also seen them make several claims that are false regarding the competition, which really sours me on the company. Also much larger than I need and I view the 40 lb hopper as more of a detractor than a benefit.

Mak 1 star- Looks like a great grill. Its very widely regarded, with a support reputation that is flawless. Made in the U.S. is definitely a plus. only real drawback is price and adding a few accessories quickly puts it at, or over, my max budget. Also as ridiculous as it sounds, I feel like it looks like it belongs on a spaceship.

Kuma Platinum SE- I just cant find a lot of feedback on this, looks like it has some neat features and is US made. I just can't really bring myself to be a guinea pig at the high cost of entry.

Any insight you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated! I am also open to other options. Thanks!

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Help a newb pick a pit
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 12:51:29 PM »

I’ve had a RecTec for just over a year and don’t really have any complaints. What features do you feel are missing?  The 40 pound hopper is a little overkill. The 6 year warranty gives me piece of mind about such an expensive purchase. The ignite failed and they sent me a new one within a few days.

When I was deciding I was down to RecTec, Blazn and Yoder.

Take a look at Yoder’s. They are built like tanks but it ended up being out of my price range.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 12:55:53 PM »

Where do you live?  It may help me make a recommendation.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »

Pretty sure this is a business email, so I am not violating privacy.  Try this email, I know Tim, and I am think you have either got a bad email address or it is not going through to the company.  Obviously you are not going to get an answer for 2-3 days...If you don't have an answer by the end of this week, I will be happy to weigh in on this thread...

tmickey@blazngrillworks.com

I had initially decided on a Blaze'n Grand Slam, but after multiple unanswered emails, have major concerns about customer support, if they can't even bother to answer a few questions to sell me a grill what happens after they already have my money and I have an issue?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

FSUwelder1212

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 05:31:07 PM »

I’ve had a RecTec for just over a year and don’t really have any complaints. What features do you feel are missing?  The 40 pound hopper is a little overkill. The 6 year warranty gives me piece of mind about such an expensive purchase. The ignite failed and they sent me a new one within a few days.

When I was deciding I was down to RecTec, Blazn and Yoder.

Take a look at Yoder’s. They are built like tanks but it ended up being out of my price range.

Ross, the Rec Tec doesn’t have a pellet dump, I would think this would be especially valuable considering the rec tecs massive hopper size, also my understanding is the fire pot isn’t easily removable (I could be wrong here) and it lacks a “sear zone” although I put little value on those, I think grill grates at high temp are likely effective enough for what I want. They make good grill no doubt.

Where do you live?  It may help me make a recommendation.

Bar B Lew I am in Paw Paw Michigan (southwest Michigan) it seems to be a dead zone as far as distributors go unless I head down to Indiana (Mishawaka area most likely) so I will most likely need to order online.

Pretty sure this is a business email, so I am not violating privacy.  Try this email, I know Tim, and I am think you have either got a bad email address or it is not going through to the company.  Obviously you are not going to get an answer for 2-3 days...If you don't have an answer by the end of this week, I will be happy to weigh in on this thread...

tmickey@blazngrillworks.com

I had initially decided on a Blaze'n Grand Slam, but after multiple unanswered emails, have major concerns about customer support, if they can't even bother to answer a few questions to sell me a grill what happens after they already have my money and I have an issue?

Thank you Bentley, that is the email I was using. They replied initially but went MIA when asking about a specialty powdercoated color and warranty information. It’s disappointing because It really looks like they make a fantastic grill at the price point, but with as competitive as this price point is, I can’t bring myself to chase a company to give them my money. I’m not here to bash, however, just see what others think of all the available options.

Out of those, I would go Mak no question. Quite a bit of difference in build between those options imo. Yoder, Mak, or Memphis if you want to buy and cry once...although they might be a bit over your range. Good luck with your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks gtsum, my cousin has a Yoder (I’ve never seen it in person) and is what initially turned me onto the higher end grills beyond Rec Tec. The reason I’m not considering Yoder is, they seem to have finish/rust issues from my research and everyone says they are pellet hogs. I plan to use this regularly including our Michigan winters so, pellet consumption is a real concern. I have also read mixed reviews on their proprietary controller and would kind of like to go with a Roanoke which seems to be regarded as old reliable. Memphis is simply out of my price range, I would love to have one and they are definitely the top of the list. What about the mak do you feel makes it stand out above the others?

Thank you everyone for your feedback thus far!

RWhyman

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 06:08:51 PM »

I don't care what you buy, but one of my smokers is a Blazn' Grill and Tim has given me nothing but top notch service. It is a small business and it is the holidays.

By the way, I saw Rectec on sell on Amazon recently.
Blaz'n Grand Slam, Yoder 640, 36" Blackstone Griddle, RecTec 340 & 22" Blackstone Griddle in the 5th Wheel

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 06:21:04 PM »

Like you, I am a buy once-cry once kinda guy. I cook on a MAK. I can only speak to Traeger and MAK, being I have owned both brands.  Yes, MAK’s are spendy, but the sticker shock is long gone and I have been enjoying my new cooker A LOT since last March. Prior to my 2 Star, I had a 1 Star. Both are top notch.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 07:24:15 PM »

Save up and get a 2 Star MAK.  Buy the accessories as you have more money.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »

When was the last time you contacted him?  And did he respond or someone else?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:12:54 PM by Bentley »

Ross77

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 09:01:58 PM »

Yes the pellet dump would be nice but I pretty much just use 100% hickory. I’ve found that I don’t get much flavor from mixes or sweet woods.  The removable firepot is overrated IMO as the fan clears it out during shutdown and all the ash collects at the bottom around the firepot.

I wanted the size and for the price, it’s hard to beat the RecTec.  I don’t have any issues with the build quality so far.

bregent

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 11:45:55 PM »

A bit over your upper limit, but I would also think about the Memphis Advantage.

FSUwelder1212

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »

When was the last time you contacted him?  And did he respond or someone else?

I don't care what you buy, but one of my smokers is a Blazn' Grill and Tim has given me nothing but top notch service. It is a small business and it is the holidays.

By the way, I saw Rectec on sell on Amazon recently.

Gentlemen, the emails that went unanswered were sent a little over a week and a half ago, I believe. I thought it was Tim I was speaking with but can’t say for sure. Again, debating blaz’n support wasn’t the intent of the thread and isn’t a path I wish to go down. Those that have them say the support is phenomenal, my experience is otherwise, there is also more than one post on reddit about blaz’n leaving someone in the cold when inquiring about a purchase. Perhaps I just had bad luck, or maybe my money just isn’t green enough, rather than dwell on it I am moving on. I only mentioned them initially to explain why they weren’t being considered and to head off the inevitable recommendations. The beauty of the capitalist system is I have other options that I’m sure are more than happy to take my money. The intent of this thread was to get honest opinions and feedback on those options.

Save up and get a 2 Star MAK.  Buy the accessories as you have more money.

Bar B Lew, is there a major difference between the 1 star and 2 Star? Other than the stainless lid and the included flame zone, they appear to be functionally the same?

Can anyone tell me if the MAK has a pellet drop/chute feature to combat burn backs and hopper fires? I’m not sure how common burn backs are but it is a fear of mine.

You are correct on the yoder. Mine has rust after 8 months. Not a major deal, but irritating at the same time. It does suck some pellets down too. Again not a big deal for me as I buy em by the pallet.

Imo, and I have never cooked on them, but have seen them, the build quality and robustness of rec tec just isn’t good (compared to the three I mentioned...there is a reason the other 3 are a good bit more money). Lots of people like rec Tecs though. I keep waiting for Mak to come out with a smaller portable unit for the camper

GTsum if you had it to do over would you still pick the Yoder or go with something else?

Thanks everyone for the feedback I think I am starting to lean towards the Mak. I’m surprised I haven’t seen any love for the q450, I thought for the money it seemed extremely well featured/thought out.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 11:37:38 AM »

Its your decision and you can do as you choose.  But your 1st paragraph of your very 1st post is about Blaz'n and how you wanted to look at purchasing a pit from them and because you did not get a response from them at probably their busiest time of year, you say they are not reliable.  Yes you ca do this, but I personally know these people.  Have met with them, been around them and they are friends.  And yes their product and customer service is top notch  And yes, I don't like people coming on my site and belittling my friends!  So now you know my feelings!

Good luck with your purchase.

Gentlemen, the emails that went unanswered were sent a little over a week and a half ago, I believe. I thought it was Tim I was speaking with but can’t say for sure. Again, debating blaz’n support wasn’t the intent of the thread and isn’t a path I wish to go down. Those that have them say the support is phenomenal, my experience is otherwise, there is also more than one post on reddit about blaz’n leaving someone in the cold when inquiring about a purchase. Perhaps I just had bad luck, or maybe my money just isn’t green enough, rather than dwell on it I am moving on. I only mentioned them initially to explain why they weren’t being considered and to head off the inevitable recommendations. The beauty of the capitalist system is I have other options that I’m sure are more than happy to take my money. The intent of this thread was to get honest opinions and feedback on those options.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 11:39:09 AM by Bentley »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »

MAK is not a pellet drop it is an auger tube.  It does have a 20 minute shutdown cycle when you turn it off assuming you don't pull the plug.  I believe this is for use in attempting to finalize the burn of pellets in the pot without going back into the auger tube.

The MAK 2 has a side warm under the stainless lid on the right side.  You can buy a side smoke chamber as an accessory to place in that warming box by flipping the lid open and setting the box on top.  I use it for smoking cheese and for keeping things warm while still cooking.  The stainless will also help keep it outside in your weather in MI without a cover.

The prices of the accessories are not cheap but they are top notch products with great build quality IMO.

I have a MAK, Memphis, Traeger, and a used Blazn.  I am recommending the MAK as it is slightly north of your price point as a one time buy, but also has tons of accessories to help you enhance the grill and cooking options should you want to buy them down the road as you save more money.

Ross77

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2017, 12:21:20 PM »

I ended up making a spreadsheet with all the pros and cons of about a dozen different units.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up