Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help a newb pick a pit  (Read 5723 times)

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
Re: Help a newb pick a pit
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »

This is after owning it for 10 months. I have a cover and sometimes use it and other times not. I’m in central va, so bot on the coast with salt, etc. hasn’t went through a winter yet. You can see the discoloration of the metal from heat. The internal sides of the cook chamber should be reinforced here imo. I’ll clean it up in the spring, as this is the only complaint I have with the yoder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow, I'm amazed! That sucks! That's just crazy!  I have had mine for over 3, maybe 4 years now (YS640).  I have only done about 7 direct sear cookings on my yoder, and always remove the diffuser.  I think I have done about 4 cooks at 375 for turkey etc with the diffuser to get good skin at the end.  I probably have 100 cooks on it, usually big slow cooks for chicken, pork, chuck roasts, some smoked fish and other things of course.  Not a lot of high temp cooking.

My 640 has staining on the front outside, but no paint loss at all.  I'll U/L a pic to show a recent pic. 

I know you live in the 'salt air area', but that's just not good.  I think they dropped the ball on that one.  I'd say a wire wheel, naval jelly, and repaint somehow.

I just don't know your usage for high temp cooks, I never did any high temp cooks above 375 without the diffuser removed. 

Lastly, I reduced size to fit here.  If it's sideways, I dunno.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 02:31:08 PM by Conumdrum »
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Conumdrum

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2017, 02:33:20 PM »

Cosmetic issues have never bothered me if the unit performs the way I expect.  But I can see how it troubles some.  5 minutes with a power brush and some engine block paint and you would probably be good for 2 years!
As much I I enjoy a clean pit exterior, which I feel adds to a nice overall clean backyard, I absolutely agree... that rust on the Yoder would be a cinch to fix.  I must confess that I have OCD when it comes to keeping the exterior of my pits clean.

It's about the 'Q' and time with friends and other things to do.  A pretty pit is a seasoned pit.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:36:53 PM by Conumdrum »
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

rwalters

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »

Cosmetic issues have never bothered me if the unit performs the way I expect.  But I can see how it troubles some.  5 minutes with a power brush and some engine block paint and you would probably be good for 2 years!
As much I I enjoy a clean pit exterior, which I feel adds to a nice overall clean backyard, I absolutely agree... that rust on the Yoder would be a cinch to fix.  I must confess that I have OCD when it comes to keeping the exterior of my pits clean.

It's about the 'Q' and time with friends and other things to do.  A pretty pit is a unseasoned pit.
The inside of my pits are WELL seasoned, does that count?

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2017, 07:11:21 PM »

Does in my book.

Conumdrum

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 09:36:06 PM »

Yes, mine is seasoned and mebbe cleaned twice a year, and without proper diligence, but not neglect. :-[

I was replying to gtsum2 and that screwed up rust issue.  I don't keep mine any cleaner than a backyard mechanic. Mebbe less hehe. :rotf:

My Yoder shows none of that stuff. 

BTW, I fixed my post it was really wrong, I didn't notice that major sad screwup.  SEASONED is the way to be!!!!   ???
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:38:26 PM by Conumdrum »

rwalters

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2017, 10:22:16 PM »

I’ll get on it with a wire wheel and some paint in the spring and see how it goes.

I never cook over 400 when using the full deflector plate. All my sears are with the trap door removed...but obviously there is an issue with too much heat there in the front left of the cooker

Not sure if this is possible, or if it would help... but would there be room in the belly of the cooker to lay a fire brick or two up against the wall that is taking the brunt of the heat (where the paint is failing) and allow the bricks to buffer and insulate the exterior wall from the direct heat?

rwalters

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »

I’ll get on it with a wire wheel and some paint in the spring and see how it goes.

I never cook over 400 when using the full deflector plate. All my sears are with the trap door removed...but obviously there is an issue with too much heat there in the front left of the cooker

Not sure if this is possible, or if it would help... but would there be room in the belly of the cooker to lay a fire brick or two up against the wall that is taking the brunt of the heat (where the paint is failing) and allow the bricks to buffer and insulate the exterior wall from the direct heat?

You sir, are a genius!  Don’t know why I didn’t think of that before. Nice call!  Go figure...I had about 15 firebricks leftover from my original pizza cooker sitting around and I tossed them about 2 months ago:(. Think I will pick up a few and try t. Thanks!

Cool! Do you fave an IR thermometer? Would be interesting to run the Yoder at 500° and see what the temp of the exterior wall is with and without the bricks in place.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up