Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by NorCal Smoker on 25 Dec 2017
  • Purchased a Prime boneless Rib Roast from Costco.  I usually buy choice, but on the day I went, the prime looked better.  Not always the case, and the prime I purchased did not look as good as some of the choice I have purchased in the past.  Those that go to Costco often know what I am talking about!

Anyway, rubbed with balsamic glaze and then Double Secret Steak Rub and then Montreal Steak Seasoning.  Put on the MAK 2 Star on smoke for 1 hour:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

MAK 2 star putting off some smoke:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

After smoking for 1 hour, then raised the MAK to 225 F.  Cooked the rest of the way at this temp:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Cooked some pancetta in a frying pan.  Added it, along with grease, to halved Brussel sprouts.  Added EVOO and salt and pepper.  Added to smoker:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

After reaching IT of 125 F, pulled and rested. 

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Raised temp to 400 F to finish cooking Brussel sprouts and to prepare for baking Yorkshire Pudding.  No pictures of Yorkshire Pudding (sorry), but did them on the MAK.  Here the prime rib is sliced:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

All plated up with mashed potatoes, Brussel Spouts, and Yorkshire Pudding:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Absolutely wonderful.  Thanks for looking!

For the details, roast was 6.5 pounds (boneless).  I used butcher twine to help make the roast more round to cook evenly.  It was really flat when I started.  Smoked for 1 hour, then at 225 F for approximately 3 more hours until it reached approximately 125 F at the center.  I say approximately, because this roast was different than all I have cooked in the past.  One end was higher than !25 F and one was lower.  I have never experience that before.  Rested for approximately 45 minutes (until Yorkshire pudding was cooked).  I have done many of these, but this was by far the best.  I usually cook to higher temp because my wife likes it med well  :'(, but this time I cooked it how I like it, then sliced her piece, put it in au jus in a pie tin, then back on the MAK for a couple of minutes.  BOTH of us were real happy campers!  :cool: :cool:

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Dec 2017
  • Looks incredible. ..thanks for sharing.
  • #3 by cookingjnj on 26 Dec 2017
  • Nicely done, looks awesome.  Interesting idea with the balsamic glaze.  Will have to give that a try now too.  Thanks for sharing with the pics.
  • #4 by Maineac on 26 Dec 2017
  • I would pay a lot of money for that plate in a restaurant. Looks like you hit it out of the park.
  • #5 by Ross77 on 26 Dec 2017
  • Looks great!  What temp is the Mak when you smoked for 1 hour?
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 26 Dec 2017
  • I know my MAK runs between 170°-180° on Smoke setting.  Will be interested to hear from NorCal if his runs the same range.
  • #7 by NorCal Smoker on 26 Dec 2017
  • Thanks for all of the comments. Just like Bar-B-Lew, my MAK runs 170-180 on smoke mode.
  • #8 by TLK on 26 Dec 2017
  • looks like a winner!
  • #9 by Redapple on 13 Jan 2018
  • Making me hungry! Looks incredible
  • #10 by yorkdude on 15 Jan 2018
  • The prime rib looks excellent, nicely done.
Pages:
Actions