Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grease Fire  (Read 734 times)

ml504

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Grease Fire
« on: December 26, 2017, 12:18:41 AM »

So I threw a couple of burgers on the pro today but did not scrape off the drippings from the chickens I smoked this weekend.  Set the temp to 450 and went inside to get the meat ready.  When I walked back out the temp was well over 750 and I could see flames (looking in from the back).  I just left the lid closed and it eventually went out and back to the set temp.  I didn’t notice any problems and the itc never showed an error message.  Do I need to check anything for damage or am I good to go?

Lesson learned on cleaning before each use/after a smoke of greasy meat.

Thanks,
Matt

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Grease Fire
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 12:30:16 AM »

Ha...sounds similar to some issues I have had.  I recommend a good scrape, clean, and vacuum when you have a grease build up on the drip pan and cook on high heat.  I think this could happen on any grill.  Glad things turned out OK for you.  And, you probably have a pretty clean grill now too.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:31:05 AM »

The only thing might be warpage especially if the metal was stressed prior to the high temperature overrun. The warpage should be inside as that is the hottest area.  The ITC should have displayed "ER1" (overheat) if it got hot enough.

On the bright side you went thru a self clean cycle and learned a lesson we all can use. ;)

P S: The "Elite" maxes out @ 700º.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:16:47 AM by Canadian John »

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 01:22:00 PM »

After I do a cook that produces a lot of grease I do the following:
1.  Let the grill cool down.
2.  Empty the ash out of the  burn pot.
3.  Burn off the grease build up, but start gradually.  First at 375° and let it burn for a while.
4.  Increase to 450° and let it run until you don't see smoke anymore.

Kinda works like a self cleaning oven that way.  BUT MAKE SURE YOU DO STEP 2 BEFORE TRYING TO DO THE BURN OFF.

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »

After I do a cook that produces a lot of grease I do the following:
1.  Let the grill cool down.
2.  Empty the ash out of the  burn pot.
3.  Burn off the grease build up, but start gradually.  First at 375° and let it burn for a while.
4.  Increase to 450° and let it run until you don't see smoke anymore.

Kinda works like a self cleaning oven that way.  BUT MAKE SURE YOU DO STEP 2 BEFORE TRYING TO DO THE BURN OFF.

Z

Someone from Memphis sent me some instructions on the PH site via a private message on how they clean up used pellet grills.  It was something similar to this but I think they increased grill temp in 100° increments up to 600° and let the grill go for about an hour at each temp starting at 300°.  I wish I had those instructions to get it right.  All of my grills are probably due for a good cleaning like that.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

ml504

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 06:00:08 PM »

Thank you everyone for the responses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up