Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blaz’n Smoker Pro  (Read 1665 times)

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Blaz’n Smoker Pro
« on: December 27, 2017, 09:33:33 AM »

Has anybody used the Blaz’n Smoker Pro smoker box accessory?  It looks really cool in the demo video on their website. Was thinking about getting a tube but this box looks like a winner.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Blaz’n Smoker Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »

I have one and love it. I also have an A-Maze-N-Tube and it works great also. I prefer the Smoker Pro. My advice is make sure you get both of them burning good before putting in the pit.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Ralphie

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »

Thanks Triple. Any idea how much heat it produces?  I’d like to experiment with cold smoking. Was hoping to just take advantage of these 35 degree days and cold smoke salmon, sausage, etc. right in the grill with one of these boxes (not turning on the grill).

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 10:37:44 AM »

Ralphie,Fire needs air.  Placing a smoke tube device in an enclosed cooker will result in a diminishing fire as the oxygen is consumed. Cold smokers have flow- thru air.  The only way it could work would be to prop the lid open. It would also let heat escape. A

slight breeze or wind would play havoc with smoke and temps. There is a better way. You could do it in a gasser as it has top and bottom openings. The only problem is virtually no heat would be produced from the smoke tube.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:53:16 PM by Canadian John »

RWhyman

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »

I have one and love it. I also have an A-Maze-N-Tube and it works great also. I prefer the Smoker Pro. My advice is make sure you get both of them burning good before putting in the pit.

Good advice here. I have both also. Smaller footprint with the tube. I have the short tube, (no smart remarks needed) ;D, for when I only want a couple of hours of smoke.
Blaz'n Grand Slam, Yoder 640, 36" Blackstone Griddle, RecTec 340 & 22" Blackstone Griddle in the 5th Wheel

Ralphie

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:53:35 AM »

I finally used the Blaz'n Smoker a few days ago.  It's my way of passing the time until my pellet grill arrives.  I used it on my Weber gasser to enhance a batch of bbq chicken.  The chicken was not picture-worthy because I may or may not have burned and removed most of the skin.  But it sure was tasty.
The Smoker Pro produced a ton of smoke for just over 5 hours (only cooked the chicken for an ~hour).  The consistent output without letting up was impressive.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Ralphie

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:56:47 AM »

The picture doesn't do it justice.  It was billowing.  I just can't figure out how to compress the 8 second video I have of it.  File is too large to post.  It shows how awesome this device is.   

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 10:26:30 AM »

If that is the kind of smoke you are looking for in a pellet grill, you may be disappointed.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Ralphie

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 10:43:17 AM »

I guess I was just impressed with it's effectiveness in making my gas grill a much better grill for my tastes. 

Regarding pellet grill smoke output/style and food results, the best ribs, pulled pork, brisket, and BBQ chicken I've ever had was cooked on a Traeger Texas (model from 7 or 8 years ago).  Essentially the KCBS competition categories.  Our team used Traegers in our comps (mostly so the food prep didn't interfere with the partying).  So even though I am waiting on my first personal pellet grill, I have used them and eaten food from them for several years.
And if that pulled beef you made on your pellet grill is any indication, I will be a happy camper when mine gets here!   

Jeff Mc

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 07:20:51 PM »

Looks like it holds a very large amount of pellets. Can you reduce the amount of pellets if you plan on smoking for just a few hours? And on the other hand for a much longer smoke would it be a pain to empty it out and fire it back up?

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 10:56:35 PM »

Looks like it holds a very large amount of pellets. Can you reduce the amount of pellets if you plan on smoking for just a few hours? And on the other hand for a much longer smoke would it be a pain to empty it out and fire it back up?

You don't have to fill it up. I know when I'm doing a quicker cook I have filled it up about 1/2 way.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036
Pages: [1]   Go Up