Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Ross77 on 27 Dec 2017
  • For some reason I smoked a 5lb brisket flat on a -9 degree day.   :o  I put it on at 6:30am and it was really, really cold outside.  But the RecTec fired up and got up to 200 surprisingly fast.  After 2 hours I bumped it up to 240.

This was my 2nd cook with the MEATER but 1st low and slow cook.  It's nice not having to deal with wires.

It initially estimated about 8 hours to reach an internal target temp of 203.  That ended up being about 3 hours short but not terrible considering the stall can vary with each brisket.  I'm not sure how their algorithm figures it out but there a quite a few options in the app for different cuts of meat.  But there is no option to enter the weight so maybe that could be added in the future.

I wrapped it in butcher paper once it hit 160 and increased the pit temp to 260.  I noticed that the ambient temp compared to the smoker temp was almost spot on for lower temps.  Once I started increasing past 260, the variance between the MEATER and the RecTec was around 20-30 degrees. I guess this makes sense due to the different locations of the probes but not sure why the variance increased.  The weather could have been a factor.

I eventually increased the pit temp to 310 but as you can see on the graph it never got over 287.

I pulled the brisket at 198 because it was dinner time.  It ended up being really good.  Tender and juicy.  Possibly the juiciest flat I've smoked.  I usually use Lumberjack Pecan Blend pellets but I didn't have any left so I tried Traeger Gourmet Blend from Costco.  I'm not a fan.  Not as much flavor as Lumberjack Pecan or 100% hickory.  I used nearly an entire 40 lb bag on the cook.  The negative temps really caused it to burn through pellets at a higher rate than usual.

I really like the MEATER except for the bluetooth range.  I'd estimate it at about 10-15 feet once it's in the smoker.  Luckily we have 2 iPhones and 2 iPads in the house so one was used as the BT link and then all the other devices were linked to it via wifi.  In order to use the MEATER to it's full potential you really should have more than one phone or tablet.  We left the house for about an hour and I was able to check the probe over LTE.  The app is easy to use and well made.  You can go back and view all your previous cooks.  The initial setup is a little confusing as you need to get a login for the Cloud and it has to be done on all the devices you plan on using with the probe.  But once it's setup, everything links across all the devices you've installed the app on.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Dec 2017
  • Nice cook.  Please continue to show us how you use the MEATER.  Interesting device.  Maybe you can consider asking Bentley to allow you to do a product review of it.

Strange that the grill was using over 3# of pellets per hour of the cook at low temps.  It would be nice for someone to chime in that has used the "blanket" to determine how much more efficient the grill is with one on it.  Could pay for itself after a few cooks.
  • #3 by silverbullet on 27 Dec 2017
  • Nice looking brisket!!
  • #4 by triplebq on 28 Dec 2017
  • That is one great looking brisket. Nicely done.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 28 Dec 2017
  •  Well done! The cook and photos that is..You have me thinking MEATER. Just need a smart phone..
  • #6 by TechMOGogy on 28 Dec 2017
  • I used my MEATER for my Xmas turkey cook (oven not smoker)
    Their app needs a bit of work but overall I like it.
    I have done 3 pellet cooks and 1 oven cook with it and the only issue I have is with the external (ambient) temp sensor. It always reads low due to the proximity of it to the large hunks of cold meat!
    The app needs more editing functions in case you need to change something mid cook/smoke
  • #7 by Ross77 on 28 Dec 2017
  • Yes when the meat is cold it definitely affects the ambient temp on larger pieces.

I did notice it had an option to adjust cook and I changed the target temp mid smoke. Check my screen shot and you’ll see “Adjust Cook” in red.

I think an option for the weight of the meat might help with the cook time prediction.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 28 Dec 2017
  • Really good looking Brisket.  I'm gonna do it soon.  Looks like fork cuttable.
  • #9 by Ross77 on 28 Dec 2017
  • Really good looking Brisket.  I'm gonna do it soon.  Looks like fork cuttable.

Thanks and yes it was one of the best I’ve done. Pulled apart easily by hand no knife required. I coated with yellow mustard and Black Ops rub the night before.
  • #10 by BBQ-Tip on 29 Dec 2017
  • Winter Que! Nice looking brisket. Haven't fired up my Camp Chef in awhile.  What part of the country do you live?
  • #11 by Ross77 on 29 Dec 2017
  • Minneapolis
Pages:
Actions