Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Canadian John on 29 Dec 2017
  •  Darn those Southerners and their warm weather.. I am jealous.
  • #17 by pmillen on 29 Dec 2017
  • Looking at the forecast for this weekend the low Friday night will be -14 with a high on Sat. a balmy -6, then back down to -13 Sat. night.
    Any ideas of what I should cook?  High heat?  Low & slow?
    Z

Is this the perfect opportunity for smoking cheese?
  • #18 by rwalters on 29 Dec 2017
  • Super mild winter here in Northern CA. Lows in the 30’s with highs in the 60’s. Almost no rain this winter. For you guys that are living in the super cold climates, have you ever tried cold smoked vanilla ice cream? Although I have not, I have heard from more then one person now that it is quite a treat. Would love to be able to try some...but living in CA ain’t gonna make that possible anytime soon.
  • #19 by Ross77 on 29 Dec 2017
  • I smoked a brisket on Wednesday in Minneapolis. The temp at 6:30am was -9. It took nearly 12 hours for a 5lb flat but it turned out great. I did burn through a lot of pellets though. I need to get a welding blanket....
  • #20 by DMAXNAZ on 29 Dec 2017
  • I think I'll keep the New Years cook inside this time.
  • #21 by pmillen on 29 Dec 2017
  • I smoked a brisket on Wednesday in Minneapolis. The temp at 6:30am was -9. It took nearly 12 hours for a 5lb flat but it turned out great. I did burn through a lot of pellets though. I need to get a welding blanket....

I discourage welding blankets for pit insulation.

Welding blankets are designed to provide nearby items with protection from slag, molten metal and grinding or welding sparks.  They are not necessarily good insulators.  But the primary reason that I discourage their use as pit insulators is that they frequently shed their glass fiber stuffing.  You want to avoid eating glass shards.
  • #22 by Ross77 on 29 Dec 2017
  • Good point.  What else can be used?
  • #23 by pmillen on 30 Dec 2017
  • What else can be used?

I don't have an answer.  I live in Nebraska so our winters don't quite match yours (I lived in Ottertail County, MN for a time) but I just BBQ without a blanket.

I suppose I burn a few more pellets but at BBQ temperatures it isn't noticeable.  I figure I can cook a lot before the additional pellets burned equal the cost of an insulating cover.
  • #24 by Quadman750 on 30 Dec 2017
  • Cold here.
  • #25 by Michael_NW on 30 Dec 2017
  • My GOODNESS that's cold! And that's at 11:00 am! I'm a landscaper, so looking at your frigid temps make me shiver . . . I couldn't imagine working in temps like that. I've worked outside in 0 - -4 before and I was miserable. I think I like where I live.   ;)
  • #26 by LTS on 31 Dec 2017
  • Weeeellllll

Its -15 right now with a windchill of -45, so while the Pro could easily do it, I am defiantly not up to it.

Thinking about soux vide a rib eye but thinking after I torch it outside it may freeze solid from the walk from the garage to house (10 feet)  :o

Pellet stove in basement is also working overtime today

LTS
Pages:
Actions