Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cold Weather Smoking  (Read 2711 times)

Jon515

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Cold Weather Smoking
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:56:06 PM »

The Midwest is getting hit with some cold weather, where I live in Iowa our heighs are -3 wind chill anywhere from -20 or worse.  Anyone running their smoker in those kind of temps? (I have a thermal cover, but I don't plan on trying it)

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
Re: Cold Weather Smoking
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »

I don't think I would even stick my head out the door in those sort of temperatures! At best I would be using cast iron in the oven and watching football or movies.   ;)
Stay warm up there.

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 02:16:54 PM »

Just past 1PM here & its still -6 out side. Cooking in the house oven tonight. (Which is a very rare occasion) Staying close to my Harman Pellet stove.
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »

It's 75° here today, shorts & flip flops is the dress code.  Leaves just now dropping and the lawn needs to be mowed.  Summer is coming early this year..   :(

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »

It's 75° here today, shorts & flip flops is the dress code.  Leaves just now dropping and the lawn needs to be mowed.  Summer is coming early this year..   :(

Ditto!
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Jon515

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »

It’s -11 here with a real feel of -39.  Looks like oven cooking here too.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 11:29:31 AM »

I don't think I would even stick my head out the door in those sort of temperatures! At best I would be using cast iron in the oven and watching football or movies.   ;)
Stay warm up there.

Darwin ,You shouldn't be posting those kind of things..I can imagine frostbite isn't in your vocabulary..Just wish I was there!

Darwin

• Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »

Stay warm up there.

Darwin ,You shouldn't be posting those kind of things..I can imagine frostbite isn't in your vocabulary..Just wish I was there!
Winter is fantastic here, unless the air goes still and the pollution builds up.  In a few months I will be complaining about the 110°+ days soon enough.   :(
Ya'll have a great new year.

Clonesmoker

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 09:53:13 AM »

I live in central Iowa and it was down to -18 last night. I will shovel some snow and maybe put some wings on today.

scdaf

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 02:46:12 PM »

My JB lives on the covered front porch, so snow is not a problem.  That said, I have a thermal cover and have happily Q'd at 10 below.
Yesterday, since the temp was 33 (WHOO HOO!  Above freezing)  I shoveled my way out to the far end of the patio so I could fire up my kamado and cook a New Year's Day turkey.  Last year we had about 4 feet of snow and the kamado got no love all Winter so I felt compelled to give back this year with only about a foot and a half on the patio.  A way to combine BBQ and cardio.

Wife said turkey from the JB is still her preference...

silverbullet

• I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 08:28:23 PM »

Done 3 cooks on the DC since Christmas. All were below 0 cooks. DC eeked & creaked a bit in start up. As long as I kept feeding it pellets all was good. I had thoughts of using the house oven But NAAAAA knowing the flavor wouldn't be there. So I braved the weather &  :bbq: :bbq: :bbq:
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

mo-kid

• Using less gas.
  • I get by with a little help from my friends.....
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 07:21:10 PM »

Done 3 cooks on the DC since Christmas. All were below 0 cooks. DC eeked & creaked a bit in start up. As long as I kept feeding it pellets all was good. I had thoughts of using the house oven But NAAAAA knowing the flavor wouldn't be there. So I braved the weather &  :bbq: :bbq: :bbq:

Same here SB... done about 5 cooks since the 25th. You just can't beat the flavor coming from these smokers. IMOP.
GMC daniel boone; frog mats, grill grates, SS griddle,

Saddleman

• Using less gas.
  • Vini,Vidi,Vici
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 01:26:08 PM »

I get my a-maze-n smoke stick and cold smoke cheese. All though we don’t get -18 here I love 40 to 30 for cheese. See the photo I use my brinkman grill. Keep smokin Dan
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
I feel my tube up and I’ll get a five hour smoke out of it, and I usually use cherry pellets.
If you’re looking it’s not cooking.

Jon515

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 01:08:33 AM »

I'm kicking myself for not preparing for cheese, I should have done that during these temps!

Clonesmoker

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 04:38:09 PM »

Did two racks of baby backs yesterday in 20 degree weather. I was really amazed by how little amount of pellets (Smoke Ring pellets) I used.  4 1/2 hours. First hour at 150 and the 3 at 260 last half hour turned it down to 200 and sauced them. Bone side up for smoking and turned them over when saucing them. Dry brined with kosher salt overnight and added rub on the meat side before putting them on.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:39:41 PM by Clonesmoker »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up