Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What stood out in 2017? What's your hope for 2018?  (Read 1827 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
What stood out in 2017? What's your hope for 2018?
« on: December 31, 2017, 01:44:07 AM »

2017 has been kind of a crazy year for me, a year with many ups and downs that I never could have predicted. Probably the biggest change has been my eating habits. I’ve gone from a health crisis to a healthier way of eating and living. I've learned to eat to live, rather than live to eat.

One of the highlights of the year was when someone asked me out of the blue if I was interested in a pellet grill. I had no idea what I was getting into. He took my offer of $100 for his old Traeger. It started me on a new journey that led to a better understanding of not just how to cook, but the importance of the process that leads to the end result.

While I’m not one for making resolutions, I do plan to continue the path I have started. I hope this will include new and creative ways to cook and serve a variety of foods. The ultimate goal is to bring people together for good food and fellowship. Thanks to each of you for the contributions and advice that has been given. You’ve helped make 2017 a great year and I am looking forward to what the New Year may bring!!

What stood out for you in 2017? Any hopes, dreams, or resolutions for 2018?
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: What stood out in 2017? What's your hope for 2018?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 01:09:31 PM »

I quit smoking cigars in 2017.  In 2018, I hope I can learn to manage my weight better, but to be honest, I do not think my mind is there yet.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »

I quit smoking cigars in 2017.  In 2018, I hope I can learn to manage my weight better, but to be honest, I do not think my mind is there yet.

Im with you on your second point.  I feel the same way about wish to but not yet desire to want to.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »

I quit smoking cigars in 2017.

Why? How many were you smoking?
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »

5 a day...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »

Very nice jdmessner! -very nice..

2017 -was good for the most part except for a health issue.

2018 - Not sure what to expect other than very cold weather.  I'll try and concentrate on being more thoughtful of others..It's a small world and life is precious.

Happy New Year

CaptJerry

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 05:17:04 PM »

2017 went way to fast.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »

Well, hope this response is not too much of a downer.

In mid-2017, I stopped being a service dog puppy raiser for SDWR because I learned that they were placing unqualified/temperamentally unfit/unhealthy dogs with folks and charging $25,00 for those animals.  The worse part is some people got a good dog that did as it was suppose to, (my second puppy Dexter fits in this category) but dozens and dozens did not.  So some folks will stick up for them and that is why the organization is so evil in my mind. The owner knows this, but continues because he is making money hand over fist and doesn't care.  So, for the rest of 2017, I worked with a small group of folks to shut him down.  There are things going on the local, state and fed level, but government agencies are slow in going after frauds.

So, in 2018, I am hoping for more success in shutting this organization down.  We are also working with a state legislator to pass legislation regarding running a service dog agency (boy, have I learned a lot about what a qualify agency looks like, I was so naive!).  We want to stop folks from being harmed and taken in the future.  And I have my application in with a bona fide agency to become a puppy raiser again.  If all goes well and I pass all their requirements, I may have a new puppy in late spring/early summer.

So I am looking forward to a productive and successful 2018!!!! ;D

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 06:17:52 PM »

Thats to bad about the first outfit, i hope you kick the legal xxxx out of them. I dont think i would want to be on the wrong side of you when youre in lawyer mode.  I truly hope there is a special place in xxxx for people like that.  Im glad you found a good group to try again with.
2011 SS Memphis Pro

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 07:26:22 PM »

That is a special kind of sick if you can prey on folks who are trusting you with help for them and their life.
I agree with Grillinglen, I know I would not have any interest in trying to defend the indefensible against you. I truly hope you have success in getting them what they deserve and in putting your time and talent to good with another organization.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »

In mid-2017, I stopped being a service dog puppy raiser for SDWR because I learned that they were placing unqualified/temperamentally unfit/unhealthy dogs with folks and charging $25,00 for those animals.  The worse part is some people got a good dog that did as it was suppose to, (my second puppy Dexter fits in this category) but dozens and dozens did not.  So some folks will stick up for them and that is why the organization is so evil in my mind. The owner knows this, but continues because he is making money hand over fist and doesn't care.  So, for the rest of 2017, I worked with a small group of folks to shut him down.  There are things going on the local, state and fed level, but government agencies are slow in going after frauds.

So, in 2018, I am hoping for more success in shutting this organization down.  We are also working with a state legislator to pass legislation regarding running a service dog agency (boy, have I learned a lot about what a qualify agency looks like, I was so naive!).  We want to stop folks from being harmed and taken in the future.  And I have my application in with a bona fide agency to become a puppy raiser again.  If all goes well and I pass all their requirements, I may have a new puppy in late spring/early summer.

Service dogs are amazing animals. A little over a year ago I visited the headquarters and training school for Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester Hills, MI. They just completely renovated their facility and do some incredable things for the visually impaired. In a couple of weeks I am scheduled to take a group to tour Paws With a Cause, near Grand Rapids, MI. They do great work for people with a variety of disablities. It takes a lot of time, effort, and money to train each dog. It is too bad when people use agencies to take advantage of others for their own gain. Keep the faith! I hope you are able to become a puppy raiser again. Best of luck in the New Year.
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 07:59:21 PM »

Good on ya Kristin!  Taking advantage of the vulnerable is deplorable.

Jimsbarbecue

• Using less gas.
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »

Kristin let us know when you have succeeded.

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 10:37:44 PM »

What stood out for me in 2017?
Well, my wife and I were both diagnosed with cancer within a few weeks of each other.
Mine was a fairly aggressive prostate cancer diagnosis and her cancer was a very large malignant tumor with her
  right kidney.
We have both had our cancer surgeries and it is now in our past.
We want to thank all of the members for their serious support and prayers.
We hope to continue to battle any reoccurrence of these issues in 2018.

Also very significant in 2017 was the sudden disappearance of pelletheads.com following the death of Larry Hill.
This was right at the time the Pelletfan.com was receiving its birth.
And the remainder of the year brought over 600 followers to the membership rolls.
Way to go!!
I'd love to see this forum continue to grow in 2018 with a increase in high quality members.
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »

Well, hope this response is not too much of a downer.

That is sad news and just shows how someone in need is taken advantage of..Thank you for your caring nature and endeavours to make things right.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up