Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What stood out in 2017? What's your hope for 2018?  (Read 1828 times)

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
Re: What stood out in 2017? What's your hope for 2018?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 12:53:01 PM »

What Stood Out for 2017: Besides one of our best years ever on the BBQ Circuit, it would have to be representing DAV (Disabled American Veterans) at the World Food Championships.

For 2018: Hope to return for a 3rd year to WFC, make "Feed the Troops" Fairchild AFB even bigger, Appear as Elf Chef once again for Spokane Fantasy Flight and just do something good for those who are less fortunate...
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 02:10:07 PM »

2017 was blur in time for me. All of it just smushes together in my mind.

2018 . . . I haven't got far enough in my thinking to consider what I want to accomplish, yet.

Kristin, you and others on this forum who have such inner strength and conviction are to be admired. Keep fighting the good fight!
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 04:36:36 PM »

5 a day...

Never heard of someone smoking that many. Good for you.
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 05:58:57 PM »

5 a day...

Never heard of someone smoking that many. Good for you.

I agree.  Start exercising.  A little at first and then increase it.  It's amazing how much it helps you feel.  I try to work outside as much as I can just to keep active, but I don't mind doing it inside either.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

silverbullet

• I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 08:22:35 PM »

My Step son is a single parent of a 10 year old Daughter & an 8 Year old Son. They were living in a 2 bedroom upstairs apt in a 8 plex building. Diane & I were able to put enough money together to but them an affordable 3 bedroom home with a attached one car garage & Central air. Behind the home is an strip of abandon RR property Then down a short hill to the Wisconsin river. You could say its riverfront property without paying the taxes!! Along the whole length of the property is a sidewalk where a person could fish, Launch a canoe, Kayak, Read a book ETC. Just a little piece of paradise in the middle of the city.

Trouble is..... The City wants to tear down the whole block to widen the road to a 2 lane bridge that's going to remain 2 lanes for another 35 years according to the Wisconsin DOT. They could accomplish their goals by taking a few feet off each side of the road. Yet they want to take it ALL off my side of the road. Use the eminent domain law to take our homes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this is a big land grab & an attack on the homes of the Working Poor, Minorities, Seniors & Veterans living on this block. Take the bock out & they have a nice chunk of riverfront property to develop into high end condos, riverfront wharf, whatever.
So my hope for 2018 is to hang on to this piece of paradise in our city. I don't know if I could find another as nice for the money. Believe me We looked long & hard.
So the fight continues. The City Council is so incompetent & is in debt past their ears. We have an attorney from another City retained if need be. They could easily accomplish their goals without harming the neighborhood.

In the BBQ world in 2017 I came to the conclusion that one pit is to small & one is to big. (They are in my signature) So The JB is up for sale! Liking what I see in the Louisiana CS450. Need something to get me fired More fired up into BBQing again!
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 09:04:35 PM »

I quit smoking cigars in 2017.  In 2018, I hope I can learn to manage my weight better, but to be honest, I do not think my mind is there yet.
For your weight loss, go for the Paleolithic diet or the Adkins (same idea) diet. It works.  Only real contraindication is impaired renal function which limits the amount of protein you can handle.  But if your not in that category, then go for it.  You will lose fat weight.  Note; this is not an ad or professional advice.  You might want to ask your doctor if it is ok.  Bon apetit.   

bproffer

• Using less gas.
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 10:51:17 AM »

5 a day...

I think I smoked 5 in a day once. Now I smoke maybe 1 every week or two. Same with drinking. Mostly only partake when I am golfing or hanging with friends.

2017 was an interesting year for me. It was great work wise, not so great at home or health wise. I weigh the most I ever have and take more pills for blood pressure, cholesterol, anxiety/depression, acid re-flux than I care to. I am glad 2017 is over and am looking forward to 2018. I am taking control of my life. I think I am finally ready to be serious about my health and nutrition. Hoping to lose about 60-80lbs this year. I went on my first walk last night and it felt great! I have a consultation with a nutritionist tomorrow.

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 10:27:36 PM »

5 a day...

I think I smoked 5 in a day once. Now I smoke maybe 1 every week or two. Same with drinking. Mostly only partake when I am golfing or hanging with friends.

2017 was an interesting year for me. It was great work wise, not so great at home or health wise. I weigh the most I ever have and take more pills for blood pressure, cholesterol, anxiety/depression, acid re-flux than I care to. I am glad 2017 is over and am looking forward to 2018. I am taking control of my life. I think I am finally ready to be serious about my health and nutrition. Hoping to lose about 60-80lbs this year. I went on my first walk last night and it felt great! I have a consultation with a nutritionist tomorrow.

Good on you! Sounds like you're motivated to make a lasting change.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »

I heard from Service Dogs of Virginia tonight.  They start a new training class for puppy raisers on Feb 6.  We will have 4 or 5 classes plus a home inspection and then they will decide if I am qualified to become a puppy raiser for them.  So one step of the journey accomplished!  More to come.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 08:16:31 PM »

I heard from Service Dogs of Virginia tonight.  They start a new training class for puppy raisers on Feb 6.  We will have 4 or 5 classes plus a home inspection and then they will decide if I am qualified to become a puppy raiser for them.  So one step of the journey accomplished!  More to come.

Hope it all works out.  We couldn't do that.  I'd have no problem with letting them go, but the wife and girls...
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 02:42:02 AM »

Please keep us posted! Do they take into account your past experience at all?

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 10:24:15 AM »

I have a lot of respect for the job you are setting out to do. Yesterday I toured a service dog training center for an organization that sounds similar to the one you are thinking about joining. It is called "Paws With a Cause". Their main headquarters are just south of Grand Rapids, MI.

They train dogs for the hearing impaired, people with physical disabilities, seizure detection, and now have dogs that work with autistic children. Last year they trained and sent out over 200 dogs nationwide. They have service dogs in 35 states. There are hundreds of volunteers that assist in puppy training. I was surprised to find out they are working with six prisons in the state and have prisoners training the dogs. 

Good luck with the interview process and all that goes with it!
God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 11:15:30 AM »

Michael -- they have not asked about prior experience, so I think they probably only care about whether you can raise as they wish a puppy to be raise.

jdmessner -- prison programs are popular.  There use to be a show on Animal Planet called "Cell Dogs" which showed various prison programs which were raising service puppies.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up