Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 31 Dec 2017
  • - New Year's Eve events are cancelled on Parliament Hill (Ottawa,ON) due to cold..To boot,it's Canadas 150th anniversary of confederation.
  • #2 by rfinley on 31 Dec 2017
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #3 by silverbullet on 31 Dec 2017
  • It was so cold here this evening (-11) that the hot tub cover was frozen shut over the tub. And when I did get it open & got in it, We had to wear stocking caps so our ears wouldn't freeze!

• #4 by Bentley on 31 Dec 2017
  • You are the man to ask, thinking about a hot tub, Jacuzzi, spa, whatever...you are way colder then us....how much electricity $$$ does it add to your bill in the winter?  We just can't see to get any muscle relief after working in woods or just on the property, and hope this might be the trick...

It was so cold here this evening (-11) that the hot tub cover was frozen shut over the tub. And when I did get it open & got in it, We had to wear stocking caps so our ears wouldn't freeze!
  • #5 by pmillen on 31 Dec 2017
  • Bentley, do you think you could tolerate cold water immersion?  Several studies have shown ~20% pain reduction by immersing up to the neck in 50°F to 60°F water for about 20 minutes.  As a test you could get your instant read thermometer and make a small batch of water at that temperature and stick your hand in it for a while.

In most studies the participants sat in the water the entire time, but in some they were allowed to step out several times.
  • #6 by Bentley on 31 Dec 2017
  • It is not as much pain, as just good old soreness for lack of a better word.  Even 4 years ago when we got here, it seemed, like football, that after a few days of double days, the soreness was gone.  You worked it out...I guess those days are gone.  I think the family history of arthritis, along with 6 years of a sport that probably was not preventative of such pains is just starting to catch up with me.

I know I hated the cold tub when I played!
  • #7 by DE on 01 Jan 2018
  • For my muscle relief I use...bio freeze... it works.
  • #8 by yorkdude on 01 Jan 2018
  • We had a 6 person hot tub about 10 years ago. It was a good one and insulated pretty well. If memory serves it added about $40.00-60.00 per month to our bill. We live in Wamego,Ks. So you can get an idea of our avg winter temperatures. We used it daily as well as the kids and their friends. We moved and sold it with the house and still miss it. I imagine they have made advancements on insulation etc and probably a tad cheaper now. It was a pain kind of in the summer though keeping it clean and chemically balanced even when it wasn't heated?
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Jan 2018
  • ...Niagara Falls freezes
  • #10 by Quadman750 on 01 Jan 2018
  • You are the man to ask, thinking about a hot tub, Jacuzzi, spa, whatever...you are way colder then us....how much electricity $$$ does it add to your bill in the winter?  We just can't see to get any muscle relief after working in woods or just on the property, and hope this might be the trick...

It was so cold here this evening (-11) that the hot tub cover was frozen shut over the tub. And when I did get it open & got in it, We had to wear stocking caps so our ears wouldn't freeze!

I had one up here in Canada 10yrs ago & it cost about $40-$50 per month in winter. Your cigar habit you kicked should more than cover it. I always felt pretty limber after getting out of it.
  • #11 by triplebq on 01 Jan 2018
  • - New Year's Eve events are cancelled on Parliament Hill (Ottawa,ON) due cold..To boot,it's Canadas 150th anniversary of confederation.

Yup that is cold!
  • #12 by Darwin on 01 Jan 2018
  • Cold is relative. Central Florida is looking forward to 3 days of lows in the range of 32°. At 64 that is far colder than any of the sub-zero temps I experienced growing up in Colorado.

I can't help but laugh at the folks here when I see them in fur coats.  Granted 60°+ is cold compared to our summer, but still...  A lady in front of me at the grocery store was complaining about the cold weather last week,  it was 68° at the time.   ::)
  • #13 by mowin on 01 Jan 2018
  • We love our hot tub. We're in it 3-5 times a week.
    More during spring, summer, fall. Love it in the winter, but if it's windy, we don't go in it. That wind just sucks when the temps are below 20*.

Our elec bill jumped around $30 bucks a month. Less in the summer.
  • #14 by Bentley on 01 Jan 2018
  • Thanks for the responses...yeah, I would pay $50/month to be able to use a spa every day!
  • #15 by Canadian John on 03 Jan 2018
  • [ Invalid Attachment ]
    Extremely defining! (the snowman).
Pages:
Actions