Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 01 Jan 2018
  •  How important is crispy skin to you and do you eat it, some or all?

If crispy skin is preferred,what cooking method do you use to acquire it?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Jan 2018
  • I only eat skin on chicken wings and prefer it crispy.  The only other chicken I cook is boneless/skinless breasts.  For the wings, I cook them at 250 to get some smoke and then crank them up to 350 to get them crispy.  Or sometimes, I just cook them between 300-350 for the entire cook.
  • #3 by Michael_NW on 01 Jan 2018
  • Crispy skin is important to me on turkey and when I do whole chickens. Fortunately, it's not hard to do that at the temps at which I cook poultry. I usually wet brine birds and remove them from the brine about 12 hours prior to the cook to allow the skin to dry out. Before cooking they are coated with a small amount of EVOO and then rubbed. I have not had any issues getting crispy skin using this method.
  • #4 by pmillen on 01 Jan 2018
  • I usually wet brine birds and remove them from the brine about 12 hours prior to the cook to allow the skin to dry out. Before cooking they are coated with a small amount of EVOO and then rubbed. I have not had any issues getting crispy skin using this method.

Yep.  That's the way to get crispy skin.  Put fowl in the refrigerator to air dry for a day or two.  The skin will dry but the brined bird will stay moist.

Some people dust the birds with baking soda (maybe baking powder, I don't recall).  I've not felt the need as long as I plan ahead and allow time for them to dry in the refrigerator.
  • #5 by mowin on 01 Jan 2018
  • I usually wet brine birds and remove them from the brine about 12 hours prior to the cook to allow the skin to dry out. Before cooking they are coated with a small amount of EVOO and then rubbed. I have not had any issues getting crispy skin using this method.

Yep.  That's the way to get crispy skin.  Put fowl in the refrigerator to air dry for a day or two.  The skin will dry but the brined bird will stay moist.

Some people dust the birds with baking soda (maybe baking powder, I don't recall).  I've not felt the need as long as I plan ahead and allow time for them to dry in the refrigerator.

I'm going to have to try your method. It's the only issue I have with smoking chicken or turkey.  I love crispy skin, and haven't smoked any in a long time. I even tried the broiler method. Didn't get the results I was expecting.
  • #6 by Bentley on 01 Jan 2018
  • Yes it is and I deep fry it!
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Jan 2018
  • Yes it is and I deep fry it!

Have you ever deep fried after smoking the chicken?
  • #8 by triplebq on 01 Jan 2018
  • I love crispy skin on Turkey. The best way for me to get it is via deep frying  :lick:
  • #9 by cookingjnj on 01 Jan 2018
  • I love crispy skin from the turkey.  The best I have made so far is from my turkey fryer, but did a split turkey breast this week on the pit which was very good.  Skin did not crisp as much as frying, but was very good.  I hope to put a few pics up later.
  • #10 by Bentley on 01 Jan 2018
  • Yes, but just never saw enough of a flavor difference to justify that extra step!

Yes it is and I deep fry it!

Have you ever deep fried after smoking the chicken?
  • #11 by mowin on 01 Jan 2018
  • Ok..  I can see where deep frying would get me the crispy skin I want, but that's another whole step with added equipment and product I need. If I wanted to deep fry a bird I'd just do it that way. 
  • #12 by triplebq on 01 Jan 2018
  • You are correct it is more work to deep fry a big bird. I used an oil-less fryer for the first time and it wasn't bad. The skin was OK but not quite where I wanted it. This was my first time using the oil-less so maybe it will improve with practice.
  • #13 by Bentley on 02 Jan 2018
  • To me, Turkey and Chicken skin are so different I have never even considered eating turkey skin, no matter what the consistency is.  But, I have never eaten a deep fried turkey.
Pages:
Actions