Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fleet Farm Heating Pellets - Hardwood  (Read 1443 times)

MN-Smoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Fleet Farm Heating Pellets - Hardwood
« on: January 01, 2018, 09:46:39 PM »

I've been using these since I bought my grill.

One thing I've noticed is a shockingly low amount of ash so far.
I have a Firecraft Q450, and I seldom vacuum out the ashes because they're minimal.

I usually do shorter cooks, but way less ash than the Pit Boss Pellets I was burning.

Firecraft Q-450 Broilmaster Superb Gasser

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Fleet Farm Heating Pellets - Hardwood
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:53:18 PM »

I may have to try some heating pellets.  My uncle has a pellet stove to heat his house and paid $250 for a ton of pellets and says the brand he has now are the best burning ones he has ever used. 
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »

I was reviewing wood pellets and came across an interesting statement: Hardwood pellets, premium or not may be classified food grade as long as they don't contain additives or binders.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:50:05 AM by Canadian John »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »

I was reviewing wood pellets and came across an interesting statement: Hardwood pellets, premium or not may be classified food grade as long as they don't contain additives or oils..

1.  "[M]ay be classified food grade..."  Is there a Canadian certifying body, like the U.S. Underwriters Laboratory, for classifying pellets?

2.  I recall reading that some Traeger pellets are "flavored" with oil.  It appears that would keep them from food grade classification.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »

I was reviewing wood pellets and came across an interesting statement: Hardwood pellets, premium or not may be classified food grade as long as they don't contain additives or oils..

1.  "[M]ay be classified food grade..."  Is there a Canadian certifying body, like the U.S. Underwriters Laboratory, for classifying pellets?

2.  I recall reading that some Traeger pellets are "flavored" with oil.  It appears that would keep them from food grade classification. I misquoted; oils should have been binders. 
1/ I am not aware of any Canadian governing bodies related to wood pellets..2/ Traeger,as far as I know, uses soybean oil sprayed onto the processed wood to reduce friction in the forming dies. I can only speculate  it is to save money resulting from  reduced friction... The flavouring that goes into the hickory and mesquite pellets  is derived from liquid smoke. That way they can use their base wood being either oak or alder, depending on the pellet mill location to  make them. The other pellets are mostly base wood with about 30% of the spices wood added, except;alder,maple and oak, depending on  the mills location. Oak in the East would be 100% oak. In the West it would be 70 alder/30% oak. At least that  is how it used to be. I always wondered why all Traeger pellets cost the same regardless of wood species. The cost of the different woods isn't the same. Makes a person think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up