Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's cookin for Labor Day  (Read 1476 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Re: What's cookin for Labor Day
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 07:02:27 PM »

Were keeping it simple this year, we have had the best sweet corn harvest I can recall in the past 20 years and I'm making about 40 pounds of Polish wedding style sausage (with garlic) on Friday.

The last of the corn is getting picked Saturday morning and I'm going to spend a couple hours with my PG 500 cooking it all in the husk and holding it in a cooler for later while the sausage smokes, may throw a couple porterhouses on to go with it as well.

:beer: Cheers to all, I hope you enjoy the holiday with your families and loved ones.

I noticed in the intro section that you were from south bend. I'm just south in Fort Wayne. Funny you said that about the corn. I've bought several batches from the stands around here, and haven't been overly impressed this year.

Some years an ear of corn or single tomato from the garden is quite possibly the best thing I ate that year. My dads tomatoes have been stellar.

Queball

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 07:19:34 PM »

"
Were keeping it simple this year, we have had the best sweet corn harvest I can recall in the past 20 years and I'm making about 40 pounds of Polish wedding style sausage (with garlic) on Friday.

The last of the corn is getting picked Saturday morning and I'm going to spend a couple hours with my PG 500 cooking it all in the husk and holding it in a cooler for later while the sausage smokes, may throw a couple porterhouses on to go with it as well.

:beer: Cheers to all, I hope you enjoy the holiday with your families and loved ones.

Being of Polish decent, from Chicago, exactly what is Polish wedding style sausage. I must say, in 72 years on this earth I have been to a ton of Polish Weddings and have never heard of that. How does it differ from Polish Sausage that makes it "Wedding Sausage"?I have never heard of this. Maybe I can learn something new today.

West Allis BBQ Man

• Using less gas.
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »

Practice cook with ribs and smoking 10 pounds of salmon.
R Family BBQ Cooking Team "Where MEAT meets HEAT"  GMG Davy Crockett & PelletPro 1190

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 08:20:53 PM »

All I could find was Suzie's Polish Wedding Sausage..."A fresh all natural white sausage since 1975"...No idea, I will be interested in the answer too!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Lothar1974

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Never trust a skinny chef
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 09:46:20 PM »

Thinking home made pizza. From scratch dough/crust as well as Italian sausage.  Onions and green peppers from the garden, ran out of home made Canadian bacon and pepperoni so it will be Hormel. 
Memphis Elite MES40 1st Gen MES40 2.5 Gen Blackstone 36' Griddle

Queball

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 10:18:17 PM »

So Suzie's sausage is fresh ...... So it isn't smoked. .... Maybe it's being called "wedding sausage" because a bride wears white, and the sausage links are white? Be interesting to know how that's done. ... The only white sausage I've ever seen and had, was while living in Louisiana where the Cajun people make a white Boudin sausage. I believe it is made with veal. .... Regular Boudin is made with chicken .... I think.

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 11:16:12 PM »

My mother was German and she made weisswurst which literally translates to "white sausage", made with veal and bacon.  It is truly unique mostly in texture.  Suzies almost sounds like another version of that.

Nothing special for us - we're hoping to spend the day on the back deck with friends cooking homemade pizza and a brined SRG chicken.
PZ

Queball

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 08:02:39 AM »

Very interesting PZ. Thanks for that link to weisswurst. The spice package used is really interesting. I'll bet they are tasty. .... Seem very perishable. I wonder if they could be vacuum bag sealed and frozen for later use without degradation?

pz

• My recipes
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 11:08:06 AM »

They are truly a different experience - I did not like them as a kid, but as an adult, they are quite tasty - the casing has a nice snap like a brat when you bit through it because the stuffing is soft.. I would think they would freeze nicely, but my mom always bought them fresh so I don't know for sure.
PZ

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »

In 2012, mom and I travelled to VA, we stopped in this place in Louisiana off I-10, was straight up Cajun land, not even sure the city.  sloman had told me about it.

I think Boudin is Pork, and pork liver to boot, and the "real" stuff, Boy Howdy!   We had Boudin Ball's, Gator sausage and fried chicken...That was a one time deal for me, one bite of the Ball and I was done!  Had to pawn them off on my mom, did not care for the Gator sausage either, way to much filling and rice.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pz

• My recipes
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 11:14:56 AM »

Yum!  I love shops like that  :)
PZ

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »

Decided to smoke some cheese today.  See How I... section.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 02:26:56 PM »

All I could find was Suzie's Polish Wedding Sausage..."A fresh all natural white sausage since 1975"...No idea, I will be interested in the answer too!

It's a traditional holiday and wedding non smoked white sausage we call Biała Kiełbasa.

Simple ingredients:
Pork shoulder
Sea Salt
Marjoram
Garlic
Pepper

It's a staple here for all weddings, Christmas and Easter. Plus, here in South Bend we take Easter to the extremes and celebrate wet Easter Monday aka Dingus Day and have it all over again.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »

Pulled off the cheese and turned grill up to 250.  Put on some mac n cheese and some meatloaf cupcakes.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 03:36:52 PM »

Don't forget to post in the picture thread
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up