Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Compressor Help  (Read 4746 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Air Compressor Help
« on: January 03, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »

Well, I have been trying since Dec 28th to get this set up, so I know I am a wuss.  Finally got it done about 30 minutes ago...I am still not sure if it will meet my needs, but I think for the primary purpose, it will.  Its main purpose will be tire inflation and keeping them at proper pressures.  For those that have pneumatic tires on their landscape equipment, you probably now what I mean.  And the rear tractor tires, the little Black n Decker, well lets just say it was not meant for that.  I was a little surprise that when I was filling up the golf cart tire to 20psi that an 8 gal tank would come back on...makes me glad I did not go for the $60 3 gal...My little B&D that I have had since the early 90's will be left in the machine shed for emergency use!  It was a good little device these many years, but after filling that golf cart tire in 20 seconds instead of 2 minutes...I know he has seen better days!

I am the only person that can mount things crooked, year, after year, after year...

Now for you guys in the know...will this 8 gal run this?  All I need it to do is break a 5/8 nut free from a mower blade...I see my compressor has 4.5 cfm @90 psi and this needs 5, I just have never used air tools and don't know how big a difference that .5 cfm is?

1/2 in. Air Impact Wrench

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

scdaf

• Using less gas.
Re: Air Compressor Help
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 04:33:27 PM »

Bentley, you should be fine.  I doubt that mower bolt is torqued over 80 ft./lbs. That hammer driver probably will generate 250 ft./lbs. at 5 cfm.  If you haven't already bought the air impact, HF has a 110v electric one which I've had for 25 years or more and used a lot.  Usually easier to find 110v than pressurized air where you need it.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 04:37:33 PM »

Thank you...but I bet you electric one is 5 times the cost of this one...

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 05:40:30 PM »

Bentley, air carries moisture.  You compress it into your tank and you accumulate water.  You might consider a particulate filter & moisture trap at the tank outlet so you don't blow unwanted material into your tires and tools.

Then, too, the tools like an in-line oiler near the tool end.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 05:49:36 PM »

Uh-oh, more money, and the worst part is it all makes sense, so that makes me really know I need it....Oh well!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 05:57:51 PM »

Uh-oh, more money, and the worst part is it all makes sense, so that makes me really know I need it....Oh well!

My Dad releases the air out of the tank after using it claiming he does it so the moisture goes out too.  Don't know how true it is but that is what he does to mitigate the issue.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »

Another option, I saw that release valve when I was putting wheels on.  I need to immediately make sign and tape on wall or that will never get done. 

Would be nice if they would tell you which to buy....Now I just have to find and figure out how A, B & C get attached to ?

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:08:49 PM by Bentley »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 06:22:10 PM »

Lets see I have an air intake filter on the compressor, so I am confused about B (but I have no idea what kind of filter they are talking about), I have a regulator on the unit itself (so again, lost on C).  And I cant even find D!

Paul, you should be pimp slapped for this!  I cant figure out what I need or where they go! Do you buy a small little 3/8 hose and connect this stuff to it before it goes into my 30 foot wall hose?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:24:15 PM by Bentley »

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 06:25:34 PM »

My Dad releases the air out of the tank after using it claiming he does it so the moisture goes out too.  Don't know how true it is but that is what he does to mitigate the issue.

+1 on dumping air out when done.

Is this something you are going to use 1-2 times a week or month? I would not go to all that trouble for a home use air compressor that you can just drain each time. I have one and use it 5-10 times a year. I just just buy quick connects for the hose ends and add a few drops of air oil into the air tool before use and then make sure I drain air out when done. If I use the tool for several hrs I will disconnect and add some more oil if using that much. Most of the time it is used for short nail job. :2cents:

If you spends hrs a day using it then yes install the filters and oil system.

Mudflap

MOD: I have been using mine for 5 yrs works great.
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »

you won't need to drain the tank much in the winter months but in the hot humid summer yes. as for an oiler just buy a can of air tool oil and give the gun a little squirt every now and then, just shoot it into where the hose goes on.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 06:28:41 PM »

I will use it for tire inflation a lot, the air gun, maybe twice a year to change mower blades and maybe once a year to rotate tires...If it will even break the lugs free.  I guess moisture in tires does not really matter!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 06:29:44 PM »

OK, now I gotta go get some air oil...

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 06:31:31 PM »

Thanks for all the help...The Tahoe, Ram and golf cart tires were all low in this cold weather, so all three of them are now at correct pressure...so this thing is already working!

Yeah, those quick connect things are where it is at for switching stuff around!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 06:54:38 PM »

What I need to hear.  I had a Friend tell me I needed a minimum of a 30 gal and 3 Hp to run tools...So I kind of knew I was maybe stretching it for that. 

I figure I go into HF, ask if this gun will work on this unit, if they say no, end of story.  If they say yes, I will be noting who I speak with and have assurances I can bring it back if it does not.  I read reviews of guys that have my size compressor and said it does not work, then saw that they were trying to use 1/4 inch hose.  Then read others that said with pressure set right and 3/8 hose it works fine!

you're wishful thinking about that comp running that gun.

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 07:13:55 PM »

I have a small compressor that size, no problem for short blasts with an impact. I can take off 5 lug nuts on a small car before it needs to pump up again. I used to do my lawn mower with a very small pancake compressor. you should be ok with that one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up