Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Compressor Help  (Read 4749 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Air Compressor Help
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 07:17:21 PM »

JaJaJa...and folks wonder why I have had to experience stuff like this to learn...I was gonna wait till late spring when I would start up the mower...but now I am gonna go buy it tomorrow just cuz I wanna see!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 07:54:02 PM »

I guess moisture in tires does not really matter!

Tire pressure sending units don't like ice.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 08:08:51 PM »

So much to swallow...

Motor HP matters as much as tank size. HP fills the tank quicker. Tank size determines how often the tank needs recharging.
Compressing air creates moisture regardless of temp. The amount is subject to physics at play.

Unless yer Boeing, you'll never need an oiler in your line. A drier is always a good idea and they're cheap at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-30252A-Water-Separator-Outlet/dp/B002GQ3SUA/ref=sr_1_sc_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1515026613&sr=8-10-spell&keywords=compresed+air+dryer

It's really easy to overkill a compressed air system. I have 10G 5 HP compressor in storage and it's been there for years. When I was actively using it, it never had any options added to it and never failed. And it won't loosen a lug nut without first breaking it loose with a wrench.

It's always a good idea to drain the tank after every use. The moisture will create rust that clogs everything up. Open the drain valve and look at the floor afterwards. That's all the proof you'll ever need.

I have an inline drier I use with  my mini compressor as I use it for blowing off electrical components (see above) and it works quite well. Do yer tires care about some moisture in them? Likely not. Regardless, removing the moisture is a good idea.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 08:36:49 PM »

Just don't remove the air when a dog is around.  Our dog took off out the garage and ran up the street.  Fortunately, someone called us.  She never ran away before but the sound of the air coming out of the compressor when being drained either spooked her or hurt her ears.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 09:59:49 PM »

My career has been air compressors from small up to 50 HP rotary screw .  my advise is to purchase some air tool oil and add a few drops before using the impact. Make sure the compressor is at maximum pressure and you should be fine. When finished add a couple drops to the air tool oil and reconnect the hose. Pull the trigger briefly to suck the oil into the impact. This keeps a coating of oil in the air motor to prevent rusting between uses. Do not waste your money on the rest as your just airing tires. Drain the tank to remove moisture. Your good to go...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 10:00:23 PM »

I just don't know this stuff guys, never had a compressor!

So where does one attach this dryer? Do I attach it to the out put, where the hose is currently attached, then attach the hose line to it?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 10:01:57 PM »

FMR...

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 10:03:27 PM »

Air Tool Oil, 16oz $3.79...well that is a bright spot!   :pig:

TravlinMan

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 11:18:44 PM »

I just don't know this stuff guys, never had a compressor!

So where does one attach this dryer? Do I attach it to the out put, where the hose is currently attached, then attach the hose line to it?

The dryer should be away from the compressor - far enough to allow the compressed air in the line to cool enough to allow the moisture to condense and be collected with the dryer..
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 11:22:28 PM »

I saw in the one photo in Bob's link that it was right about where the air tool went on, that makes sense, I seem to have trouble visualizing these things.  Makes sense and I certainly will add it for that extra protection!

TravlinMan

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 11:40:14 PM »

I have a small compressor that size, no problem for short blasts with an impact. I can take off 5 lug nuts on a small car before it needs to pump up again. I used to do my lawn mower with a very small pancake compressor. you should be ok with that one.

Having a high quality air gun is worth its weight in gold, breaks nuts loose quicker - which means using less air to get the job done.. I have a 20 plus year old Ingersol Rand 2131 that keeps on ticking.

1/4 line is a little restricting for some applications, to overcome this I prefer to regulate the air pressure between 100 and 120psi - personal preference.. out of the compressor.

To increase 'air storage capacity' I have seen shops use 'pvc' pipe - example: 3 to 4 inch pipe down the length of their shop and make the 'air' drops from the PVC to the work stations - using the correct pipe thread adapters and copper pipe for the drop - properly secured, and the dryers mounted right at the quick connect for the air line. This is in inexpensive way to provide longer 'burst' times.(tank capacity)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:09:18 AM by TravlinMan »

TravlinMan

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 11:44:36 PM »

I saw in the one photo in Bob's link that it was right about where the air tool went on, that makes sense, I seem to have trouble visualizing these things.  Makes sense and I certainly will add it for that extra protection!

attaching a drier directly to the compressor usually does not collect much condensation - because the air passing through it is too warm for it to condense and be collected in the drier.

Inexpensive idea - which works - run a length of air hose out of compressor(with quick disconnects), lay on cool floor, attach to a dryer, attach final hose, attach to tool...
(for extended use - like for painting - I have had very good success running the hose out of the compressor 'coiled' in a 5 gal pail of ice water and the drier mounted just after that.)

For your intended use - just mount the drier away from the compressor and you will be golden..

ie.. air tool oil - a few drops in the tool regularly, but not enough to make a mess at the exhaust port.. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:10:15 AM by TravlinMan »

TravlinMan

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 12:06:02 AM »

Air line drier/filter

Something along these lines..
https://www.harborfreight.com/mini-air-line-filter-68225.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-compact-air-filter-68230.html

Or with regulator
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-air-line-filter-regulator-with-gauge-68228.html

These are most everywhere - big box lumber - Menards, Lowes, Home Depot etc, auto parts stores, Tool stores

Just keep it simple..  :clap:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:15:21 AM by TravlinMan »

smokin soon

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 12:13:26 AM »

For what Bent want's to do, you guys might be overthinking this a bit. It's just occasional use, not a shop. I'm a cheap screw also and have maintained my air tools with a few drops of ATF for over 40 years. For me, moisture from my airline tells me to lube my tool and drain the compressor. Nothing more. Those filters are more relevant in painting. The smaller compressors filling up tires in trucks take longer, but will still do the job. For Bent's use it will be fine.

TravlinMan

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 12:17:41 AM »

For what Bent want's to do, you guys might be overthinking this a bit. It's just occasional use, not a shop. I'm a cheap screw also and have maintained my air tools with a few drops of ATF for over 40 years. For me, moisture from my airline tells me to lube my tool and drain the compressor. Nothing more. Those filters are more relevant in painting. The smaller compressors filling up tires in trucks take longer, but will still do the job. For Bent's use it will be fine.

I totally agree..

(as much as I hate to admit it..) :(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 12:21:07 AM by TravlinMan »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up