Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Compressor Help  (Read 4748 times)

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
Re: Air Compressor Help
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2018, 07:06:54 PM »

Bent... I just watched the video of you loosening lug nuts. In it you said I hope you guys don't tell me I shouldn't be putting them on with it. So I'm telling you you shoudn't be putting them on with an air gun. Even the wimpy air guns are capable of 250 ft/pounds of torque. Lug nuts should be tightened to 80-100 foot pounds depending on the manufacturers recommendations. So you can easily over torque the lug nuts. This can cause lots of problems. The best way is to use the air gun to put the lug nuts on until just barely tight then use a torque wrench to get the proper torque.

+1.

+2

And in the correct sequence.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 08:37:42 PM »

I wont lie, you all know I like to stir it up, but I also wanna learn in this instance.  As looking at this chart, TravlinMan's suggestion do make sense, and these charts seem to say yes to me.  So as always, someone please point out my errors...

My tank I believe has an operating pressure of 125psi, I see the gauge goes to about 150psi, but you are not suppose to run it there, I get that.  So if my tank has a 150psi max give or take, how could it ever produce enough psi to burst a 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe?

To increase 'air storage capacity' I have seen shops use 'pvc' pipe - example: 3 to 4 inch pipe down the length of their shop and make the 'air' drops from the PVC to the work stations

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:08:51 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 09:06:55 PM »

It would not play sound for me so I did not think anyone heard me or when the compressor kicked back on, just went back and it did! 

Thank you!  I did tighten them, so that is par for the course!  That will never happen again!

I think that particular gun and compressor combo is not capable of any damage. HF has torque wrenches on sale for $10 that are more than adequate for lug nuts.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:04:24 PM by smokin soon »

WiPelletHead

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Mondovi WI
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2018, 09:40:13 PM »

I wont lie, you all know I like to stir it up, but I also wanna learn in this instance.  As looking at this chart, TravlinMan's suggestion do make sense, and these charts seem to say yes to me.  So as always, someone please point out my errors...

My tank I believe has an operating pressure of 125psi, I see the gauge goes to about 150psi, but you are not suppose to run it there, I get that.  So if my tank has a 150psi max give or take, how could it ever produce enough psi to burst a 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe?

To increase 'air storage capacity' I have seen shops use 'pvc' pipe - example: 3 to 4 inch pipe down the length of their shop and make the 'air' drops from the PVC to the work stations

The problem I see using PVC isn't the burst strength, but the damage from an impact.

I've seen it happen. Worked fine until it was hit . Then it was like Bobitis said. Pieces every where.

Luck was, no one got hurt.

I would also ditch the inline lubricator. If you have oil all over after using it, it's over oiling. As others have said, a couple drops in the inlet is all it takes.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:09:37 PM by Bentley »
FE PG 1000

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 10:04:34 PM »

I guess I can see that...but I take it a step further and say...lets not use tools at all, cus someone might use it wrong and the socket flys off the gun and goes through someone head...Where does it stop?

I have no oiler, the gun had a small port to fill with oil, did not say put x amount, just said add oil...I would say it took maybe 2 TBS to fill it.  One of the positive reviews I read was from a guy that said he thought it was a good impact wrench, but ware gloves if you don't want oil all over your hands.  He was right.  The only thing I am adding is the moisture filter, as it just makes sense to me, but I may not worry about it till summer comes and the humidity comes back, it is dryer then a popcorn...back here right now.  The dew point was a negative the other day, which I did not think was even possible... 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:07:18 PM by Bentley »

TravlinMan

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2018, 10:11:11 PM »

The PVC reference is based on 'shop/regulated' pressure usually between 90 to 100psi, I would not recommend running compressor pressure into PVC..

Compressor Max Pressure: Single stage - 100 to 125psi - the most common air compressor sold
                                       2 stage - 150 to 175psi - primarily used in industrial and commercial applications

Gauges, like a speedometer in a car, generally show the upper limits greater than your normal working pressure.

The single stage compressors generally loose a lot of 'efficiency' much past 130 to 150psi, which is why most 'single stage' units are mechanically regulated to 125psi max at shut off and normally on somewhere between 105 to 110psi

Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

TravlinMan

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2018, 10:18:02 PM »

I guess I can see that...but I take it a step further and say...lets not use tools at all, cus someone might use it wrong and the socket flys off the gun and goes through someone head...Where does it stop?

I have no oiler, the gun had a small port to fill with oil, did not say put x amount, just said add oil...I would say it took maybe 2 TBS to fill it.  One of the positive reviews I read was from a guy that said he thought it was a good impact wrench, but ware gloves if you don't want oil all over your hands.  He was right.  The only thing I am adding is the moisture filter, as it just makes sense to me, but I may not worry about it till summer comes and the humidity comes back, it is dryer then a popcorn...back here right now.  The dew point was a negative the other day, which I did not think was even possible...

IE: oiling the air gun - flip it upside down, air hose off, add a few drops of oil in the air hose hose nipple with the trigger open, release trigger, connect air line, give the trigger a quick depress and let up..  Tool oiled..  Easy Peasy.. :clap:

This lubricates the air vanes in the tool - similar in concept to a two cycle motor..
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:21:20 PM by TravlinMan »
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2018, 08:19:34 AM »

I should hsve been a little more clear. It's the possibility of external damage. If something smack it hard enough, it's bad juju.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

mowin

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »

Bent, if you put 2 tea spoons of oil in that gun, you added WAY to much oil.  That amount of oil would last you a couple yrs.  Few drops is all you need.  You won't need gloves.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2018, 12:37:50 PM »

OK, but you all do realize there is a place on the tool to add oil?  Now it does not say add 2 drops, or add 20 drops, or fill till it will not take any more oil (that is what I did).  I get put a couple of drops where the air comes into the gun too, I am doing that.  Do I just drain the oil out of this port and not use it anymore?

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2018, 01:30:27 PM »

You know when you have too much oil in one, if/when it starts blowing all over out the exhaust ports...

Not sure why they put a oil port in there, a drop or two in the air intake every couple times you use it will do the trick.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »

Right!  Only a few drops in the oil port from now on, and a couple in the air intake before each use!

Thanks for this! Not sure if it is what you meant exactly, but it is what I took it to mean and it works.  3 feet was the shortest they had.

And thank you all for making this process much easier!  Lets see how long before that filter changes color?

2) Your best scenario would be to have a length of hose between the tool and the drier (12" would werk but 18 would be better). This would allow you to use the tool much easier and be more useful in other situations.

Heck, how many website can you learn about cooking, play Fantasy Football, share with others how to enhance cooking with 100% Hardwood Pellets, get info about College Football, pray for friends, see new gadgets we might use in action, learn how to cure meat...and set up a cheap air compressor with air wrench?    Probably 100's, but I will continue to live in my own little world!   :pig:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 02:46:12 PM by Bentley »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2018, 03:40:17 PM »

Pelletsportool Fan
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Old Smokey

• Using less gas.
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2018, 04:09:25 PM »

Sorry... A little late the this thread today I've been busy. As far as using PVC for airlines a lot of people do it but it's definetly not recommended. Here's a discussion about it on GarageJournal:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60109

BTW Garage Journal is a great resource for all things garage/shop related. Kind of like PelletFan is for pellet cooking.

If you do decide to use PVC (which I definetly don't recommend) at least use schedule 80.

As far as oiling an air tool, over oiling can cause more damage than under oiling. Air tools have vanes in them that are turned by air pressure which causes the tool to spin. They are usually made of a composit material. They can become soaked with oil which renders the tool useless. In an expensive air tool they can be replaced. In a cheap tool you just throw it away and buy another cheap one.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2018, 04:45:04 PM »

I have no plans to use the PVC, my set up is complete.  I just could not figure out why it was an issue . 

I was looking at air ratchets?  But I figured that the stuff that I use a wrench or ratchet on I have enough trouble just getting the wrench into it, how am I gonna get this big thing in there.  Nailers, so cool!  Play the tape through, when was the last time you used a stapler?  Air hammer, don't even know what it does...don't paint.  Air powdered grinder, drill, screwdriver...already have electric ones...

It is nice to be able to fill most tires in about 20 seconds as opposed to 2 minutes, and to be able to see a fairly accurate psi at the same time.  Amazing what you think is normal operating procedure.  I will start rotating my tires regularly, so that impact wrench is going to pay for itself in the 1st year.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up