Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Compressor Help  (Read 4747 times)

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Air Compressor Help
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2018, 10:27:07 PM »

I have no plans to use the PVC, my set up is complete.  I just could not figure out why it was an issue . 

I was looking at air ratchets?  But I figured that the stuff that I use a wrench or ratchet on I have enough trouble just getting the wrench into it, how am I gonna get this big thing in there.  Nailers, so cool!  Play the tape through, when was the last time you used a stapler?  Air hammer, don't even know what it does...don't paint.  Air powdered grinder, drill, screwdriver...already have electric ones...

It is nice to be able to fill most tires in about 20 seconds as opposed to 2 minutes, and to be able to see a fairly accurate psi at the same time.  Amazing what you think is normal operating procedure.  I will start rotating my tires regularly, so that impact wrench is going to pay for itself in the 1st year.

My earlier suggestion was based on the size of the tank on your compressor, if you find you exhaust the air too quickly in your compressors tank - The PVC idea is an inexpensive option to increase the 'storage' of your compressor.  I believe your setup will serve you very well, especially for tire inflation, blowing things out and intermittent air gun use..  I do not have any experience with your model air gun, but if it has enough 'kahoneys', it should bust things loose quickly and not require a sustained use of air..

Nice looking setup Bentley..   :cool:
It should serve you well for many years...

..my story - truncated...
In the late '70's I bought a 1hp Sears compressor, served very well and pretty much worked it into the ground..  in the late '80's I went a little overboard with its replacement - an 80 gallon horizontal 7.5hp 2 stage single phase industrial unit.  Sits in the basement to the house, garage is quiet, compressor stays warm in winter..  :clap:

Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2018, 10:47:47 PM »

I was looking at air ratchets? 

Air ratchets can be VERY painful if you've never used one.  Probably why my hands hurt so bad these days.  They torque in the direction you don't want them to and smash fingers.  I have an ancient Ingersall Rand that works like an impact wrench.  Wasn't good for disassembly but was great for re-assembly of small stuff.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2018, 01:09:28 PM »

I think more air capacity can only be a good thing. 

So my next endeavor will be to see if this tank can be attached to my set up.  Since I know nothing about compressors, I do not know if I have the power with 2hp to fill both?  Or does power not matter with compressed air, it is simply a matter of more time to fill 38 gallons as opposed to 8 gallons? Physics was not my strong point!  I am guessing at the size of this tank, was to cold (18°) out to do more then take picture and get back in truck.

What I will need to be able to do is have the aux tank set up with quick releases.  If that can't be done, I do not want to mess with it.  I do not plan on this set up being portable, but worst case scenario, if I need to take my compressor somewhere right now I could.

So time to start doing some research!

My earlier suggestion was based on the size of the tank on your compressor, if you find you exhaust the air too quickly in your compressors tank - The PVC idea is an inexpensive option to increase the 'storage' of your compressor.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »

Google 'connect two air compressors' and you'll see that it's far beyond your money and time.  :2cents:

Why do you think that a larger tank will get you better results for your application? Seems to me yer over thinking it (heck, we all do).

Larger capacity only means you can use a tool for a longer period of time before the motor kicks back in. Painting a car? Bigger is better. Yet it all boils down to what the motor is capable of. Once the tank is empty, the motor has to fill it. 2 hp will fill a 50g tank in 'x' minutes. 5 hp will fill it much faster.

What yer gonna get out of the whole ordeal is yer recovery rate. 2 minutes for a 5g tank, or 4 minutes for 10g (not actual but mathematically correct). In other words... your compressor will run a minute for 5g, or 2 for 10. The only difference is the motor run time and frequency. Do you want to wait one minute or two before filling?

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2018, 01:55:01 PM »

I wanted to get rid of motor on top and just use the tank, but maybe you are right...Anyway, I will use it as is for the time being!

Brushpopper

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2018, 02:25:11 PM »

My dad had a compressor like that when I was a boy.  It was half wore out then and finally died about 10 years ago.  I'm 54 now.  Notice the EXTREMELY child safe exposed pulleys and V-belt.  I was taught to respect it at a very young age and thanks to that I still have all my fingers!

TechMOGogy

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2018, 06:02:02 PM »

This thread is hilarious.
Some comments so complicated for a such a small, occasional use setup :)
Glad you got it setup!
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2018, 04:01:46 PM »

An update.

This proved to be somewhat of an accurate statement.  It runs the gun and you saw the video, but I was rotating tires today, and it would not budge the passenger side tires.  So it is hit and miss!  Just hope it will loosen the dang nut on the mower!

you're wishful thinking about that comp running that gun .

Brushpopper

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2018, 10:59:32 PM »

Did you have a full compressor to start?  If you did then you might need a breaker bar and maybe a cheater pipe.  Break them loose and run them off with the impact.  A cheater pipe gives you more leverage to break them loose.  Force times lever arm = torque.  The longer the arm, the less the force.  I've had to stand on one and bounce to get some loose.  Rotate tires and torque to 110 to 120 foot pounds it you've got half inch studs.  All Dodge trucks have them to my knowledge.  And put a little grease or lube of some sort on the studs.

Most tire places run very high pressure for their impacts.  They then over tighten the lugs, which can warp your rotors.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2018, 11:23:38 PM »

Wow!  If it is supposed to be 110lbs, I got some tighting to do right now!

Yeah, once I broke them free, it spun them right off!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:25:33 PM by Bentley »

Brushpopper

« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2018, 11:40:56 PM »

Use some lube on the threads.  110 ought to be all you need.  That's what I do my F150 at.  110 ft/lbs ain't much for a svelte young man such as yourself, if I remember your product review of the Firecraft Q-450 correctly!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up