Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flavoured or Compound Butters  (Read 656 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Flavoured or Compound Butters
« on: January 04, 2018, 10:17:42 AM »

- Do you or have you used them?

- If yes, what is your favourite?

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
Re: Flavoured or Compound Butters
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »

I used them decades ago when I was cooking for a living.  Minced shallots, garlic, herbs, spices, wines or spirits to fit the finished dish.  I think a compound butter can add a nice bit of flavour to most anything.  Sadly things get lost in the freezer now and they are no longer on my must have list.

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »

OK You asked for it.
Several years ago I had a lengthy topic on the PH forum entitled Bone Marrow Butter

Believe me, this is good stuff. And it's relatively easy to make. I usually have a quantity of it in the freezer that has been rolled and wrapped. Great for spreading on steaks, gobbing on mashed potatoes or whatever.

It has been nicknamed "God's Butter"
Search Google for some info under that nickname.

Here is a copy and paste from my recipe files for "God's Butter"

1 ½ pounds of beef femur bones (readily available from just about any butcher)
6 oz. butter, softened
1 scallion, (green onion) thinly sliced
Pinch of salt
Pinch of freshly cracked black pepper

In a preheated 400° pellet grill, roast marrow bones until marrow is soft (with a consistence similar to custard (20 minutes or so). Remove from pellet grill and scoop out all of the soft marrow, and reserve all drippings. A small baby soon or letter opener will work out well.

In a small food processor or mixing bowl, combine marrow drippings, butter, salt and pepper. Fold in the green onions,

Top finished steak with Bone Marrow Butter.
Chef Brandon Harpster

So I will soon put my recipe on the PF forum here (along with some photos) so others can enjoy this delicacy.

"If you’ve never tried roasted bone marrow, you’ve been missing out. Not only is roasted marrow a traditional culinary staple in dishes around the world, but it’s a gourmand’s dream because of its rich umami and light, melt-in-your mouth texture.
Bone marrow is also full of beautiful phospholipids and methionine which are essential for proper brain growth and function. And as an added bonus, the monounsaturated fats found in marrow have been shown to improve cardiovascular health.
Coupling bone marrow with savory herbs and butter from grass-fed cows? Genius.
That’s because butter from grass-fed cows is not only delicious, it’s actually a health food."
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 03:11:50 PM by Trooper »
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

mo-kid

• Using less gas.
  • I get by with a little help from my friends.....
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 07:13:25 PM »

+ one on the bone marrow butter! It is excellent on burgers!!!
GMC daniel boone; frog mats, grill grates, SS griddle,

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:16:31 PM »

I saw Troopers post on the old site and tried it. Gods' butter indeed.

The issue I have is the bones are priced like prime rib around here.  :'(
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

NorCal Smoker

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:08:11 PM »

I have made blue cheese compound butter and used it on steak. It was wonderful.  That said, I am not a frequent user of them.

GREG-B

• Washougal WA
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 11:25:00 PM »

I'm with Bobitis on this, hate to pay that much for basic soup bones even for the marrow butter.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 08:29:50 AM »

I've made several over the years. They are good and work, but I find it easier to just use the ingredients in them on their own.

I'd rather put a pat on butter and some lemon zest on a chicken breast rather than spend the time making the compound butter. A little cheese, a splash of wine, or whatever can just about always be put on separately for the same effect.

As mentioned above, it makes more sense in a restaurant setting. If you are making the same dish 30 times a night, it makes perfect sense to have it ready to go in one tight package ready to slice off a pat. If I'm making two steaks, I'll just throw some butter and blue cheese on at the end.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »

There are some wonderful ones out there...I have had bone marrow, never this God Butter.  Tropper made some and I ask him to bring it to a competition and he said it was much to good to waste on me!    :pig:
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 10:11:40 PM »

One of our favorites.  Saute thin slice chopped shallots, chopped garlic, fresh ground pepper in butter.  After shallots are just soft, add a splash of dry sherry, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and fresh chopped fresh tarragon (you can add dry tarragon if you do not have fresh available) and continue to saute another minute on low heat, you want to keep the tarragon a nice green color.  Take off heat, and once mixture is cooled, fold in with softened salt free butter (I prefer salt free, but your choice).  Roll in a log with plastic wrap and put into fridge.  After mixture sets you can slice and use on steak, grilled chicken, grilled shrimp etc.  A very good compound butter.
I did not indicate amounts of the ingredients, as that is up to taste.  I prefer more shallots, pepper and tarragon when I make this, but taste is up to you.  With slicing, this make a good presentation when served over your entrée or side, and then melts into the dish while eating. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up