Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: TOFU  (Read 782 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
TOFU
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:18:17 AM »

Don't run away. It 's not all that bad..I have only done it once , "Smoked Marinated", and  found it had a rather good taste... The recipe follows:

- 14 to 16 oz of extra firm tofu cut into 3/4" slices.
  - 3T soy sauce.
  - 3T rice vinegar.
  - 3T fish sauce...whisk together.
  - Add the tofu to the above mixture. Place in the fridge for 2 hours, pat dry and brush lightly with Canola oil...Smoke @ 225º for 2 hours.

Have you done tofu on your pit?

Kristin;You may want to move this into the "cook everything else" section.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:55:03 AM by Canadian John »

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
Re: TOFU
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »

I haven't had tofu in a long time and have never tried it on the grill. The one thing about tofu is that it is very versatile, it takes on the flavor of whatever you season or marinate it in very well. I may need to give it a go sometime soon.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 03:26:11 PM »

I Love Tofu...I have been meaning to bacon wrap and grill it on the Memphis...Will make a note right now to buy the Xtra Firm!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 04:04:58 PM »

Have never even tried it. Somehow it just doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest.

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 04:26:26 PM »

Tofu is eaten by billions in the far east.  It has its uses and can flavor a dish.  Consider it very very tender chicken or veal.  It really has no taste and can be added to many dishes.  There are many types of tofu also.  Folks think it's slimy.  If you get firm tofu, like a soft cheese, you can do a lot with it. Like CJ has done. 
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 06:10:41 PM »

Yeah, that's what Bent says.  He has prepared tofu several times in different ways, different flavors.  And it doesn't matter, the result is the same for me -- tasteless goo (and he uses the firm stuff!)

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »

I like it when it's crispy on the outside and seasoned well. The soft mushy stuff doesn't do anything for me.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/vegan-experience-crispy-tofu-worth-eating-recipe.html

Hope that link doesn't violate any rules, feel free to remove if it does

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 07:22:56 PM »

Yeah, that's what Bent says.  He has prepared tofu several times in different ways, different flavors.  And it doesn't matter, the result is the same for me -- tasteless goo (and he uses the firm stuff!)

Don't have to be done on the smoker.  Stir fry etc.  There is more than the southern way (Smoking) (by way of immigrants) to cook food.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 07:55:18 PM »

Tofu is eaten by billions in the far east.

I'm not certain that's a recommendation based on some of the things they eat.   :)
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »

Extra firm or pre fried is the way to go.  Don't go near the fermented variety unless you have no sense of smell of taste buds.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 08:34:51 PM »

I would rather wrap in bacon and deep fry, will have to try that, but my worry is tofu shrinkage.  Maybe I will get lucky and the bacon will constrict as it fries...

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 09:21:33 PM »

Don't have to be done on the smoker.  Stir fry etc.  There is more than the southern way (Smoking) (by way of immigrants) to cook food.

I am not sure he has ever cooked them on the smoker.  Stir-fried was the biggest way (he has a massive wok) and maybe pan fried, I think baked in something once.  I never think of Southern cooking as smoking, ate too many Southern meals that were cooked in a lot of different ways other than smoking.  And having lived in California for 50 year with 30 of those being SoCal, and 3 more in Vegas, we probably cook and eat more Tex Mex/Mexican, Japanese, Chinese, Italian and French than Southern.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 09:26:20 PM »

The Southern Way of cooking food requires about 6 gallons of oil, just so you are educated on Southern cooking!

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 09:38:05 PM »

My vision is what Kristin said, "Tasteless Goo".
Probably should try it just to say I did but I can find many other things to eat.

Mudflap

• Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 09:59:13 PM »

sounds like it is just a filler. A coworker at work would slap a tofu burger on the grill right after we pulled the beef off so it would soak up the grease to give it flavor.
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up