Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tube Smoker  (Read 4198 times)

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Tube Smoker
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:32:47 AM »

Curious if many people use these and what type of smoke output you get?  Clean, blue smoke or white harsh smoke?

I’m pretty satisfied with the smoke output on my RecTec but there have been a couple times where I would have liked more smoke flavor.

I’m thinking about getting one. I assume I’ll also need a torch to light it?
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Tube Smoker
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »

For the price, do it and get it out of your system. There are other ways to enhance smoke: The colder and more damp the meat is, the better..Place the meat into the smoker only after it gets smoking well.

RichW

• Using less gas.
  • St. Louis, MO
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:38:15 PM »

I have the Amazin 12" and love the smoke quality, I light both ends which gives at least 2 1/2 hours of smoke when you need it most.  I never pre warm any meat since the longer it stays wet and soft on the out side the more smoke will cling to it.  I spend a good couple minutes with a click to light Bernzomatic torch to make sure the pellets light off well. 
Smokin Bros Premium 24

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:09:49 PM »

I have the maze and the tube and some other gimmics like that.  Tried them a few times.  Never a clear blue smoke.

They have been laying in my Traeger XL for 5 years since I last used it.

I always recommend using your smoker without it first.  If you don't like the smoke flavor, then you probably appreciate a more smoke with creosote flavor.  Try a gimmic and see if it gets you to what you like.

I am not a fan of any additional work doing anything so I quit using them.  I wish they worked better so I could use some pellet dust from wet pellets in them rather than throwing them out.

Best of luck to you.  If it works for you, that is great.  Glad we have options for all of us to explore and determine what we like.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »

I like the smoke that they put out, had one for years.  The trick to lighting is to set it on one end ( vertical) and light the other end.(In stead of laying on its side)
2011 SS Memphis Pro

Ross77

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 09:21:48 PM »

Good info, thanks for the replies.  I had an electric smoker and although it had a lot of smoke I didn't like the creosote like flavor.  I like the output on the pellet smoker for the most part but once and a while I feel like it could use some more flavor.  I've pretty much given up on competition blend pellets, I don't get much of anything out of those.

I think I'll get a tube and try it out.

RichW

• Using less gas.
  • St. Louis, MO
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 12:43:23 PM »

I've pretty much given up on competition blend pellets, I don't get much of anything out of those.

I think I'll get a tube and try it out.
Your right about the competition pellets being weak on flavor, straight hickory, cherry, and mesquite seam to do best for smoke.
Smokin Bros Premium 24

Ssteppe

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 03:15:13 PM »

I've used the tube for 2-3 years now and love it for cold smoking. I only light one end (with a kitchen butane torch) and blow it out after about a minute of flame. Put it in the bottom of my smoker with the lit end slightly elevated. Produces a lot of smoke and burns very clean - very little ash afterward that I just tap and shake out.

I've used it for cold smoking steaks, cheese, and home-cured bacon. I can get 4 hours when filled, but I usually just half fill it to get a couple of hours smoke.
I don't find the smoke harsh at all - gives a good flavor, especially with cheese.

My grill only goes down to 180, so the tube is my only option for cold smoking (I don't use the tube when hot smoking - I get enough smoke from my grill for that.)
Memphis Pro - low and slow in Hoosier land.

Old Smokey

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 05:01:45 PM »

I use a tube smoker on everything I smoke. Never had a problem with a creosote taste.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 06:09:27 PM »

I bought a 12" A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER a few years ago.  I lit it once.  The smoke was white and creosote-like.  I pulled it from the pit and haven't used it since.

PH planned to test a few supplemental smoke devices and Larry acquired a few different smoke generators but I don't recall seeing test results.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »

I bought a 12" A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER a few years ago.  I lit it once.  The smoke was white and creosote-like.  I pulled it from the pit and haven't used it since.

PH planned to test a few supplemental smoke devices and Larry acquired a few different smoke generators but I don't recall seeing test results.

He actually did a live feed on them (was 7 or so). He had the tube, a couple trays, that big ole box on w/lid and about 3 electric bolt on units.
All the electric ones went down first, followed by the tray versions. The box w/lid put out the most smoke by far as it's capacity was far greater. All of them made white/gray smoke. The tube matched the box in duration at a fraction of the cost. I wish he had you tubed it as it was very enlightening/entertaining. He did not post anything beyond the live feed that I'm aware of.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Ross77

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 09:31:32 PM »

I ended up getting the 6" version.  The price on Amazon dropped to $11 so why not.  I tried it with some burgers and brats grilling 450.  It did add a decent smoke flavor with 100% hickory pellets.  At 450 I would get almost no smoke without it.  I used 100% hickory in the tube and will probably use a mix in the future.  The smoke flavor didn't seem too harsh to me but my wife thought it was borderline.  I don't think I'll use it every time I cook but it's a nice option to have. 

I'd like to try some cheese next.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 09:44:22 PM »

He did, he put it in admin eyes only and I am sure it is still there, the "owner" could access it, but ruined by Photobucket...I do not know why he never put them out for the Members...

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 09:47:47 PM »

I have had good results with the Blaz'n Smoker...Not even sure if they make them anymore...

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

MSOLSON

• Using less gas.
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 03:13:05 PM »

I use both a 6" and 12" when I smoke ribs and cold smoking cheese. The 6" provides 2 - 3 hours of smoke; the 12" double that. I use a culinary butane torch to light them. I originally bought these tubes to smoke ribs on my gas grill, worked pretty darn good. Pellet grills provide a light smoke flavor as all of you know so the tubes are great for enhancing that smoke. Type of smoke? I'm kind of a rookie having smoked stuff only for the last 25 years so but I have never seen a bluish smoke from a smoker only from an oil burning car! More of a whitish smoke. Hickory vs apple vs cherry? I really can't tell the difference but use hickory, apple or cherry in the tubes and hickory only in the pellet grill. My wife likes a light smoke profile while I like a heavier profile. I would definitely recommend them. That thing on the top is a half pound juicy lucy (stuffed with cheese and diced red bell peppers - a famous MN burger type) and on the bottom is boneless chicken. Smoke tube just visible on far left. Happy smoking!

Blaz'n Grand Slam Kenmore Gasser Electric Smoker Brinkman offset smoker
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up