Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by GatorDave on 14 Jun 2018

•  Has anyone tried liquid smoke applied to the meat at seasoning time?  There are different flavours available.

I've always used it when I didn't or couldn't cook on the grill.
  • #17 by Ssteppe on 18 Jun 2018
  • I have a 12" tube that I love. I use a kitchen creme brulee torch to get it started, let it flame for about a minute, then blow out the flame. (I think the directions say 10 minutes, but I've never gone over a minute.)

Full tube smokes for 4 hours, 1/2 tube for 2 hours, etc.

I use it for cold smoking cheese and bacon with the pellet grill off. I've never used it for additional smoke with a burning pellet grill.
    Family loves the smoked cheese - doesn't have a bad flavor at all.
  • #18 by GatorDave on 17 Aug 2018
  • Ok, quick question.  How do you get the best results with a tube smoker?  Do you put it on the grate, or is it better to go below the food (to the left or right, not directly under it.)?
  • #19 by Bobitis on 17 Aug 2018
  • Ok, quick question.  How do you get the best results with a tube smoker?  Do you put it on the grate, or is it better to go below the food (to the left or right, not directly under it.)?

I don't see where it matters as the fan is blowing it all around anyway.
  • #20 by grilltreats on 17 Aug 2018

I don't see where it matters as the fan is blowing it all around anyway.

I agree Bob.  I don't use my tube much anymore, but when I do I put it on the left side (opposite of the smoke stack), but not too close to the RTD to throw it off.  I figure the smoke has to travel all the way across the grill to exit.

P.S. Bob I like your signature.  Longtime PF fan!
  • #21 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Aug 2018
  • I tried all those gimmicks years ago.  Gave up on them.  I'm satisfied with the smoke flavor without accessories.
  • #22 by GatorDave on 18 Aug 2018
  • I tried all those gimmicks years ago.  Gave up on them.  I'm satisfied with the smoke flavor without accessories.

I smoked a turkey for about 5 hours, and it had zero smoke flavor.  The same with the brisket I cooked a few weeks ago, but I wrapped that to early, so that may be why.  I definitely need to add some smoke.
  • #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Aug 2018

I smoked a turkey for about 5 hours, and it had zero smoke flavor.  The same with the brisket I cooked a few weeks ago, but I wrapped that to early, so that may be why.  I definitely need to add some smoke.

Too each his own.
  • #24 by DaisyCutter on 19 Aug 2018
  • I use one I bought off of Amazon. Mine is a hexagonal shape. I alternate pellets and hickory chips, then shake it all up. I light mine with a heat gun and let it burn a good 10-15 minutes before I put it in there and have never had a problem with it going out. I like the added smoke flavor, so I usually use one, if I have the room in there.
  • #25 by Canadian John on 19 Aug 2018
    +1 on the gimmicks.
  • #26 by grilltreats on 20 Aug 2018
  • I use one I bought off of Amazon. Mine is a hexagonal shape. I alternate pellets and hickory chips, then shake it all up. I light mine with a heat gun and let it burn a good 10-15 minutes before I put it in there and have never had a problem with it going out. I like the added smoke flavor, so I usually use one, if I have the room in there.

That's the same thing I did with mixing in wood chips in my hexagon.  I really haven't use it in quite some time now, but it did help me when converting over from charcoal.  Now that I have dialed in my pellet grill with the best pellets for me and changed my cooking habits/times, I don't really see a need for the tube anymore myself.
  • #27 by pz on 20 Aug 2018
  • I have tried using a 6-inch Amazen with alder for smoking cheese, but found it a bit more of the "ash tray" taste than when I use the Bradley with their pucks. Sure, the pucks are a bit wasteful, but I find that I can enjoy the cheese way sooner when they are used over more traditional smoke. These days I use the tube to add more smoke to meats when using the pellet cooker, and for that purpose it is excellent.
  • #28 by Ssteppe on 24 Aug 2018
  • I don't consider it a "gimmick" - it adds smoke without a lot of heat - crucial for cold smoking cheese and bacon.
  • #29 by george255 on 06 Sep 2018
  • I use mine all the time, it's a 12 inch square tube and works great for that added smoke flavor you want. I mainly use it when i'm doing long low and slow cooks with Pork Shoulders and Briskets. I use it in my pellet grill and so far have not had it go out on me, the air circulation inside the grill provides enough oxygen that it stays lit. I've used it filled to the top and only filled half way also, Try one if you like heavy smoke, their only 20.00 bucks or so on amazon. Happy Smoking..
Pages:
Actions