Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by hughver on 21 Jan 2018
  • I use smoke supplement devices quite extensively and it's been my experience that some pellets work much better than others. I've not had much luck with fruit woods, apple or cherry, hickory/oak or blends seem to work better.
  • #17 by grilltreats on 24 May 2018

• I am revising this post because I have a pellet grill coming (RT-700) and it is my first pellet grill.  From everything I have read, the pellet grills don't put out as much smoke production as some other wood/charcoal grills like the egg with added wood chunks which I am familiar with.

My question is do any of you "pelletheads" put pellets or wood chunks on the heat deflector or drip tray to enhance the smoke production?  It seems like that may work, but I'm not real sure how well or what negatives may happen doing this.

I think my wife may like the reduced smoke flavor of the pellet grill, but I may like a little more production depending on the cook.  I have become aware of the smoke tubes and may give those a try once settled in with the new grill.

Thanks in advance for any input.
  • #18 by bregent on 24 May 2018
  • >My question is do any of you "pelletheads" put pellets or wood chunks on the
    > heat deflector or drip tray to enhance the smoke production?  It seems like that
    >may work, but I'm not real sure how well or what negatives may happen doing this.

That might work on some grills but not on the Memphis. There are also several after market products you can add that will let you burn wood chunks in a pellet grill.  Last week I cooked a chicken at 350 and decided to add a small basket of charcoal with some wood chunks on the grate. In the end, the chicken had about zero smoke flavor.
  • #19 by Ross77 on 24 May 2018
  • I believe the 700 you bought has a new deflector which has raised sides to allow you to add pellets or chips.
  • #20 by grilltreats on 24 May 2018
  • I believe the 700 you bought has a new deflector which has raised sides to allow you to add pellets or chips.

Interesting...so I take it my idea is valid?
  • #21 by Ross77 on 24 May 2018
  • From the website:

304 stainless steel heat deflector with integrated smoke tray •
  • #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 May 2018
  • I found a tube smoker and a square amazin smoker in my Traeger XL when I opened it today.  Have not used it in years.
  • #23 by grilltreats on 24 May 2018
  • From the website:

304 stainless steel heat deflector with integrated smoke tray •

Thanks, I didn't catch that...COOL!
  • #24 by grilltreats on 24 May 2018
  • I have one and tried it a few times, but have come to prefer the product not using it. It is, by definition, a dirty smoke. It can help give a note pronounced smoke flavor for sure if that is what u r after

Memphis Elite
    Yoder YS640 - sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks!  From what I've gather so far, you smoke the meat for a period of time and then turn it up to cook it.  I will try the built-in smoke tray after some time with the grill just to see the difference, but not from the start.
  • #25 by george255 on 06 Sep 2018
  • Smoke tubes work good for me, one thing to remember is if you can, keep it as far away from your meat as possible. I noticed the closer to the meat the more intense flavor is absorbed. I also have a large water pan full of water inside my grill that seems to mello the smoke and help it to adhere to the meats. I use it with hickory and apple pellets.
Pages:
Actions