Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Jan 2018
  • BBQ Sauce - Heinz Carolina

Sauce Profile:
    1. Tangy
    2. Vinegar and Tomato base
    3. Thin (will run on a plate)
    4. A Little Spice Kick (just south of a very mild hot sauce)

This sauce is very similar to a sauce that I won 2nd place in the Memphis in May BBQ contest with back in the late 90’s.  It was a profile that my neighbor was taught how to make a BBQ sauce at a training session by the late John Willingham.

Interestingly, I used to take Kraft BBQ sauce, pour vinegar in it to thin it, and then mix in dry spices to get the flavor profile I was looking to achieve.  Don’t have to do that anymore now that I can just go to the store and pull a bottle of this off the shelf.

I use it primarily on chicken fingers, but I believe this would work well with any chicken or pork product.  You really need to be OK with the vinegar taste though.  If you are looking for a thick tomatoey sauce like KC Masterpiece, this is probably not for you.

• #2 by Kristin Meredith on 06 Jan 2018
  • How do you think it would do on pulled pork or ribs that might go in a comp box?  Too thin?  Better on a pulled pork sandwich?
  • #3 by Bentley on 06 Jan 2018
  • Looking at the bottle and the picture on foil, I thought, no way this is Carolina sauce, to murky and tomatoie to be that...then what do I see?  Picture of ingredients...pretty sure ingredients in US still have to be list by greatest amount of ingredient 1st...what's 1st & 2nd...distilled white vinegar & apple cider vinager...yeah, that is Eastern North Carolina sauce for sure...
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Jan 2018
  • How do you think it would do on pulled pork or ribs that might go in a comp box?  Too thin?  Better on a pulled pork sandwich?

Unfortunately, I do not sauce pulled pork or ribs so I can't give you a good answer.  It has a vinegar bite so if most competitions prefer something more tomatoey then I don't think this would work.  I think it would set up OK on the meat though as it is no water thin sauce.  Probably best to brush on ribs.  I think it would work well on pulled pork sandwich with a vinegar slaw.
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 06 Jan 2018
  • Thanks for the review and response.  I look forward to more!
  • #6 by Bentley on 06 Jan 2018
  • Agreed, thank you for taking the time to share a review with all of us!
  • #7 by desertdad on 07 Jan 2018
  • Thank you for the review of this. I love Carolina style sauces and am going to look for this at our local stores.
  • #8 by Smokechaser on 07 Jan 2018
  • I’ve used this on both pulled pork sandwiches and chicken.  For store bought it is ok.  My wife does not like sweet bbq sauces so thought I would give it a try.  She seems to like it so it works for us.
  • #9 by cookingjnj on 07 Jan 2018
  • Have not seen this in any of my local stores, but will look deeper.  Sounds like an interesting sauce I would love to give a try.
  • #10 by Bentley on 07 Jan 2018
  • I am not a fan of vinegar sauce, particularly never cared for the water like consistency.  At least this look like it will stick.
  • #11 by cookingjnj on 07 Jan 2018
  • I was sold on Tangy and a little spice kick..... but again, I am a pretty simple guy to please.
  • #12 by Florida Jim on 08 Jan 2018
  • I really like this sauce. My Daughter in law has become addicted to it.
    Really great on pulled pork.
  • #13 by Bentley on 08 Jan 2018
  • Kristin just bought some today, so it will be interesting to see the flavor.
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Jan 2018
  • Kristin just bought some today, so it will be interesting to see the flavor.

Curious to hear what the two of you think of the flavor.
  • #15 by Bentley on 08 Jan 2018
  • Great review, one of the nastiest BBQ sauces I have ever tasted!
Pages:
Actions