Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Jan 2018
  • I would be interested in your thoughts on the Pro Shelf.  Have that on my considering to buy list.
  • #17 by Skyking on 12 Jan 2018
  • I have the pro shelves for my GI. They are great. I find I use them more than just putting things on the regular grates, seems to get more uniform heat on all sides by getting it farther from the burner.
  • #18 by triplebq on 12 Jan 2018
  • I have the pro shelves for my GI. They are great. I find I use them more than just putting things on the regular grates, seems to get more uniform heat on all sides by getting it farther from the burner.

Same here. I hardly put anything on the regular grates unless I need the room.
  • #19 by AZRaptor on 15 Jan 2018
  • I’ll definitely provide feedback once I do my initial cook. It’s being delivered on Thursday, so I will probably do any prep/seasoning I need to do on Friday after work and then I’m going to do the initial cook (6 racks of ribs) on Saturday.
  • #20 by Canadian John on 16 Jan 2018
  • I’ll definitely provide feedback once I do my initial cook. It’s being delivered on Thursday, so I will probably do any prep/seasoning I need to do on Friday after work and then I’m going to do the initial cook (6 racks of ribs) on Saturday.
    This should be a very exciting and busy weekend for you. All the best!
  • #21 by AZRaptor on 21 Jan 2018

So I got my Grid Iron in and setup. Did the initial seasoning this morning and then ended up cooking three racks of spares for the trial run. I started to worry that there was an issue with the controller because I would set it to a temp and once it hit that would never waver from it even when I opened the lid. I was used to seeing a bit of a flux in my PG500 temps. I suspect the reason the temp didn’t flux when I opened the door was the placement of the ambient prob inside the smoker. It’s on the left side wall with the pro-Shelf wall between it and the cooking section. While I had the Grid Iron set to 250 it read 250, but my iGrill ambient probe was reading as high as 289 in the cooking section. I’ll need to get a proven accurate therm in the main chamber to compare to the built in probe so I can check to see if I need to make any adjustments.

So on the Pro shelves, they definitely will give you more cooking configuration options, but unless you are doing something like jerky it will be unlikely you can use all four shelves at once with the spacing between them. I also noticed that if you have the lid insulator like you see on mine, and try to cook on the top shelf, it’s probably going to hit the food when you close the lid. That’s the spot you see in my second picture on the inside of the lid.

The ribs turned out great and everyone happily consumed mass quantities of tasty pork goodness.
  • #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Jan 2018
  • Do you know the length and width of each of the 3 shelves?
  • #23 by Kristin Meredith on 21 Jan 2018
  • Beautiful addition to your patio.  I hope you enjoy it for many years!
  • #24 by cookingjnj on 21 Jan 2018
  • Great looking pit AZ.  Look forward to seeing and reading about more of your great cooks for years to come!  Enjoy!
  • #25 by okie smokie on 21 Jan 2018
  • The temp on mine does not fluctuate very easily when the lid is open for a quick look or basting. I think that has to do with the speed sensitivity of the probe. Mine stays right on the set temp for the whole cook most of the time with only 1 or 2* variation. 
    Looks like you did very well on your first cook.  Enjoy!   :clap:
  • #26 by AZRaptor on 21 Jan 2018
  • Do you know the length and width of each of the 3 shelves?

Qty 2 - 17 1/2" x 31" shelves (542.5 sq in per shelf)
    Qty 1 - 12" x 31" Shelf. (372 sq in)

There is about 2.5” between shelves. Here is a pic with all the shelves in.
  • #27 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Jan 2018
  • thanks for the measurements
  • #28 by Ross77 on 21 Jan 2018
  • Is that a WSM I see to the left?  How do the Grid Iron Ribs compare to ribs from your WSM?
  • #29 by AZRaptor on 21 Jan 2018
  • Is that a WSM I see to the left?  How do the Grid Iron Ribs compare to ribs from your WSM?

Yes, that’s my WSM 18”. I cant really compare the two because it’s probably been a couple years since I’ve used the WSM. Everything I cook now is on a pellet grill or my stick burner. I do know that when I moved from the WSM to my first pellet smoker I personally did not notice much difference.
  • #30 by Jakester on 28 Feb 2018
  • How many racks of ribs  do you think you can smoke at one time?
Pages:
Actions