Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Competition is next?  (Read 2227 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
What Competition is next?
« on: August 28, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »

I have not been a Member of KCBS since 2015 so I guess I would have to re-up.  Maybe Fredericksburg, VA next May.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: What Competition is next?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:53:33 PM »

I will be judging Tilley's in Salisbury, NC this weekend. Great event.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:08:11 PM »

Judging "Blues, Brews and BBQ" in Boise on Saturday.  It's a KCBS event
2011 SS Memphis Pro

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:13:15 PM »

Hope you both will post something about your experiences at those competitions.

GrillinGlen

• Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »

Last Saturday was the Rock n Brew and BBQ comp in Boise, a KCBS event that I judged for the second year. (also my second go at judging)  28 teams came, 14 I think last year (first year).  There was 33 judges so they made 5 tables and 2 of them had table captains that doubled as judges.  I recognized the KCBS reps from The Royal.  A few of the judges were local but most from the NW same with the teams.  I was pretty impressed with the turn ins, all the chicken entries I got were very nice, I dinged one down for appearance a bit but they really were solid entries.  (all thighs)  Of the ribs 2 were slightly under cooked, and the other 3 were spot on.  The first rib was way spicy and it took a lot of water and crackers to get my taste back.  Good flavor on the rest.  Only 2 of the pork had pulled on it, the other 3 were just slices from different parts of the butt.  The sliced presentations looked a lot nicer than the shreds. One pork had great flavor except it was a bit over smoked and had some after taste. I think it belonged to the team that was using a cheap charbroiler offset with white/grey smoke billowing out.  I dread dry brisket, only 1 of the 5 or 6 entries was, the rest were right on.  Only one had just slices, rest had burnt ends.  Being a newbee judge (and a competitor first) Im probably judging to nice.  I gave out 8 and 9 and a few 7, nothing lower.  Just curious, for those experienced judges if you had a piece of pork that tasted good except for being over a bit over smoked what would you give it for taste?
2011 SS Memphis Pro

Jcorwin818

• 10th SFG (Lenexa, Ks)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »

If it had a good taste like you said but you also thought it was over smoked I would have given it a 6 which is average.  I don't feel it would deserve a 7 which is a above average score or you would not have mentioned it being over smoked.
Traeger 075 Texas (USA) WSM 22" Weber Kettle Weber Spirit 310

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 07:42:21 PM »

Will start of with a S A comment! That's hard to believe!

Now on to a post with a plethora of info I can ask questions about!  And I am not trying to grill you from a CBJ perspective, just curious what other CBJ's take on these subjects are!  Like the ribs, do you prefer one with a slight tug or one that might be considered slightly over cooked? I am on the over side.

I like hot, so I probably would have enjoyed it, did you mark it down in taste because it was to spicy for you?

I am never using cat food again, and I will encourage whomever cooks Pork next year at the AR to please not enter it!

Don't ever be afraid to give a good score if they deserve it, if your scoring reflects that, so be it!  If it is good BBQ it is good BBQ, never look for flaws.

Kind of like the Spicy question to you...I will have to think on this and respond!

I dinged one down for appearance a bit but they really were solid entries.  (all thighs)

Of the ribs 2 were slightly under cooked, and the other 3 were spot on. 

The first rib was way spicy and it took a lot of water and crackers to get my taste back. 

Only 2 of the pork had pulled on it, the other 3 were just slices from different parts of the butt.  The sliced presentations looked a lot nicer than the shreds.

Being a newbee judge (and a competitor first) Im probably judging to nice.  I gave out 8 and 9 and a few 7, nothing lower.

Just curious, for those experienced judges if you had a piece of pork that tasted good except for being over a bit over smoked what would you give it for taste?

GrillinGlen

• Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 09:17:54 PM »

Sorry Bentley, whats hard to believe?

I feel like I'm about as objective as i can be,  i didnt dock for heat, i know i am a bit wimpy when it comes to spice, i think i gave it an 8, it was quite good but it could have had a better balance of sweet, heat and acidity to get a 9.  I can agree with Jcorwin818 and could feel good about an "average " score for the over smoked pork.  It tasted good (or should i say it didn't taste bad) but had one flavor component (smoke) significantly out of balance.  And yes, i do keep in mind that i've been cooking on pellet cookers for most of 10 years.  I know I would stir you up a bit but am curious to get some more experienced point oi views.  With ribs my personal preference is pretty tender, i try to temper that and judge for something that is tender yet has a little tooth to it and doesnt fall off the bone but can be pulled off fairly easily.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:45:29 PM by GrillinGlen »
2011 SS Memphis Pro

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 08:27:19 AM »

His humor is hard to follow sometimes.  He takes after our Dad that way. He says he is going to start his comments with a "smart aleck" comment and he knows everyone will find that hard to believe -- because we all know he is never a smart aleck right? ;)

If it is way hot, burns my mouth so that it affects my ability to taste the next entry and have to wait, then yeah, I mark it down -- usually a five.  Because that is below average to me.

Over smoked is hard.  I have had over smoked that tastes so much like creosote that  I have nearly had to spit it out.  That also is a 5.  Otherwise, if it is just slightly unpleasant/overpowering, then a 6.

But, in all honesty, if a team gets two or more 7s in taste at most competitions anymore, that will tank them in that meat. Grade inflation has gotten bad.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 11:50:28 AM »

I am so misunderstood, I just cant take it anymore...All six chicken entries were thighs...Hard to believe...Smart xxx comment.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:29:36 PM by Bentley »

GrillinGlen

• Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 01:51:57 PM »

Bring it on Bentley,  but I'm afraid a perfectly good snide remark was lost on me this time. I've heard of entries other than thighs, but never seen one but I've only been to a grand total of 6 comps, 2 judging and 4 competing, is it really that rare?  That is one thing that bugs me about the "4 meats", there is no place for originality.
2011 SS Memphis Pro

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 01:58:12 PM »

I have judged sine 2003...Not sure how many, quit counting after 50...I have seen "other then thigh" maybe 5 times in that stretch.

I mean no disrespect to my other judges...A 6 from one and maybe a 5 from another, tough crowd. I was thinking I might give it a 7.

But this is the Judges oath...and you throw that word in there, many (I am not trying to say the afore mentioned CBJ's) feel they can score any way they want!

I do solemnly swear
To objectively and subjectively
Evaluate each Barbeque meat
That is presented to my eyes,
My nose,
My hands
And my palate.
I accept my duty to be
an Official KCBS Certified Judge,
So that truth,
Justice,
Excellence in Barbeque
And the American Way of Life
May be strengthened and preserved forever.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:01:20 PM by Bentley »

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 03:44:38 PM »

Bring it on Bentley,  but I'm afraid a perfectly good snide remark was lost on me this time. I've heard of entries other than thighs, but never seen one but I've only been to a grand total of 6 comps, 2 judging and 4 competing, is it really that rare?  That is one thing that bugs me about the "4 meats", there is no place for originality.

I have done quite a few KCBS comps and in chicken I usually get thighs. But I have received legs, wings, a whole chicken cut into parts, and breast. The best chicken I have ever judge was chicken breast.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

scooter

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »

For me it would depend on the degree the entry was over smoked. A little over smoked might get a single point removed then onward down the scale dependent on the degree that the smoke element is out of balance with the rest of the flavor components.
Pages: [1]   Go Up