Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plank Cooking  (Read 1093 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Plank Cooking
« on: January 08, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »

That is, cooking on wood..Do you do it?

If so, what species of wood used and what do you cook on it?

The method used would be of interest.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:18:06 AM by Canadian John »

TLK

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: Plank Cooking
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 10:44:51 AM »

Have cooked salmon a few times using cedar planks soaked in apple vinegar.  Cooked on grill directly over the fire.  Haven't done it in a while but recall liking the final product.
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

JimAZ

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »

I recently did some salmon on a cedar plank on my Rec-Tec.  Turned out very good.  It took a little longer than it I had done it on the grill.
Rec Tec Mini

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 01:19:30 PM »

I've thought about it, but was afraid I would be board!

But seriously, I'll be interested in the discussion and look to try it in the near future.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Old Smokey

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 04:46:27 PM »

I've done salmon on a cedar plank on GMG. I put a little butter on it, season it with S&P then sprinkle some maple sugar on it.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:48:46 PM by Old Smokey »

Herb

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 04:59:20 PM »

If the cedar plank, which is soaked in water before using, doesn't start to burn, you're not getting the full effect of the cedar. This technique works great on gas BBQ's especially with salmon, but I don't think, as the board won't catch fire and start to smolder, that it's worth doing on a pellet grill. Try it on a gas BBQ and then try again on a pellet grill then you'll know...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:24:41 PM »

I have had chicken breasts on cherry wood and apple wood planks and made fresh caught salmon for a friend on cedar plank.  Each time was on my Weber gas grill.

There was a subtle hint of smoke that penetrated through the entire chicken. It was a good result.  I just don't do it anymore since I haven't used the gas grill in ages.  You do have to monitor the plank too to ensure it doesn't go up in flames with your food on it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

TLK

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 05:58:02 PM »

If the cedar plank, which is soaked in water before using, doesn't start to burn, you're not getting the full effect of the cedar. This technique works great on gas BBQ's especially with salmon, but I don't think, as the board won't catch fire and start to smolder, that it's worth doing on a pellet grill. Try it on a gas BBQ and then try again on a pellet grill then you'll know...

I agree that you need to get the cedar to start to smolder to get the full effect.
YS640 Silver Spring, MD  Happy Wife - Happy Life!

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 09:24:23 AM »

I've read that some people think that softwood pellets shouldn't be used in a pellet smoker because they produce unhealthy (if consumed) smoke components.  Some writers go so far as to say, "Poisonous." 

But cooking on a charred cedar plank is okay?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 09:31:55 AM »

I've read that some people think that softwood pellets shouldn't be used in a pellet smoker because they produce unhealthy (if consumed) smoke components.  Some writers go so far as to say, "Poisonous." 

Everything we eat or drink is carcinogenic to some degree.

Canadian John

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »

Treated cedar, like roof shingles, is not supposed to be used for cooking but I hadn't heard that about the smoke. I haven't seen any warnings on packaging either but its worth some research.
I am sure that California has a warning re:plank cooking, just like almost everything else..  Treated wood around food isn't good. Cooking on it is a NO,NO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up