Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoked Pork Loin on Rotisserie  (Read 2244 times)

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Smoked Pork Loin on Rotisserie
« on: January 08, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »

While digging into the freezer I found two pork loins from Sam's Club that has been in there for a while.  I started researching ways of smoking them and ended up using steps from several websites. 

1)I brined them in water/table salt/brown sugar for about 8 hours. 

2) I then cut into the fat cap every inch and I cut into the opposite side of the fat cap about an inch deep.  This was to get my rub into the meat more.

3)  I read over and over about rubbing Maple syrup on the meat prior to using the rub.  I am a big fan of Blackburn Light Cane syrup made in Jefferson, Texas so I used this instead.  I then put on TexasBBQ rub.  This was all put into the refrigerator overnight.

4)  The next morning I laid out my strings for tying them together and laid out bacon on them.  I then put the two pork loins with the fat cap out on top of the bacon and put another layer of bacon on top.  I then tied everything together and installed everything on the rotisserie spit.

5)  I smoked this at 225 for three and a half hours with a smoke tube also using hickory pellets.  I then took it off and let it rest.

It all tasted great with a little sweetness and then some heat.  It was very moist and a big hit.  Even though all of the bacon was not crispy it still tasted great also.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Smoked Pork Loin on Rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 03:09:44 PM »

Looks like someone is waiting for a sample  :lick:
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 03:15:37 PM »

Looks like a great cook. Thanks for sharing your pix and details.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 04:35:05 PM »

She already had a bite and she wants more.  Every time I smoke something she is right at our feet wanting some.

RoadKing

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 11:13:34 PM »

She already had a bite and she wants more.  Every time I smoke something she is right at our feet wanting some.

Funny. My dog always became excited when she smelled the smoke wafting in.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:56:39 AM »

I am not sure that there really is a better way to cook on a pellet unit then a rotisserie...I would venture to guess that is the next option on most units...and remember you heard it hear 1st!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 11:28:03 AM »

Looks so good I can taste it.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »

My next experiment is a rack of St. Louis style ribs in my basket.  I may have to cut a rib or two off to get it to fit.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 01:43:27 PM »

I hope you are right Bentley and I hope it is a good piece of affordable equipment that can cook without a rotisserie too.  I liked the flavor when I used one on my Weber years ago.  I can't imagine how good it could be on a pellet smoker.

reubenray, try some herbs de provence on some pork loin or ribs on that rotisserie
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 03:10:20 PM »

2) I then cut into the fat cap every inch and I cut into the opposite side of the fat cap about an inch deep.  This was to get my rub into the meat more.

Please forgive me, I haven't had my morning sausage yet so my brain is a little bit fuzzy, but I'm having a hard time picturing this. When you cut into the fat cap did you score lines an inch apart lengthwise or widthwise or both? And the same for the opposite side?
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 04:13:30 PM »

Please forgive me, I haven't had my morning sausage yet so my brain is a little bit fuzzy, but I'm having a hard time picturing this. When you cut into the fat cap did you score lines an inch apart lengthwise or widthwise or both? And the same for the opposite side?

On the fat cap side I cut slits through the fat cap to the meat about every inch widthwise.  This was supposed to get some of the rub down to the meat.  In the future I believe I would cut off as much of the fat cap as possible being I have bacon providing fat to the meat.  Before eating any I cut the excess fat off.  Most of this was between 1/8" to 1/4" thick.

On the side opposite the fat cap I cut a 1" slit lengthwise in hopes of getting more rub into the meat more.  It did help and in the future I will cut it deeper.  The website that I saw this done on said to cut it deep enough to where the loin would open up like a book.  I was afraid to cut it that deep.

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 12:12:41 PM »

Oh cool, thank you. Now I understand. I have to say, anytime you encase anything in bacon it's a beautiful thing, and you did a great job!
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 04:54:22 PM »

I did another pork loin, but this time I slit it about 3/4 of the way.  I then rubbed it with Blackburn syrup and I  used the Oak Ridge Dominator Rib rub.  I then put bacon on the outside plus one slice inside the slit before tying it up.  This time I did not use the rotisserie.  It turned out even better than the first time.  The bacon was more crisp than before.  I also brined it for about 8 hours.  Again I did not get pictures being a thunderstorm hit me while I was still smoking.  Once I took it off I was outside trying to get the smoker shutdown when my wife started slicing it.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »

I missed that dog 8 months ago...I want him/her!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up