Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting Ribs  (Read 1641 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Cutting Ribs
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:57:38 AM »

An easy way to cut up ribs is to place them bone side up. This clearly shows where the bones are, allowing for an equally placed cut resulting in close to the same amount of meat on all the bones.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:14:50 AM by Canadian John »

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
Re: Cutting Ribs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 08:52:30 PM »

Yep, glad you know that....
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 09:31:23 PM »

Thanks for adding content and for the knowledge!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:17:06 PM »

CJ, it's always appreciated when someone takes the time to share knowledge.  Not everyone on the site has the same level of skill and knowledge on how to do certain things and often folks are afraid to ask because there always seems to be one jerk who will make a snarky comment.  Thanks for thinking of others and sharing.

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 12:00:32 AM »

An easy way to cut up ribs is to place them bone side up. This clearly shows where the bones are allowing for an equally placed cut resulting in close to the same amount of meat on all the bones.

Back when I was first learning to cook ribs, my wife liked them foiled, which at my skill level meant "overdone".   :-[   I turned them bone side up and started slicing, thinking to myself, "I should have thought about this earlier, this is easy!" Of course, they fell apart, and all that bark and rub and goodness was stuck to the cutting board! I could have turned that board up side down and everything would have stuck to it like glue.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 12:36:54 PM »

An easy way to cut up ribs is to place them bone side up. This clearly shows where the bones are allowing for an equally placed cut resulting in close to the same amount of meat on all the bones.

Back when I was first learning to cook ribs, my wife liked them foiled, which at my skill level meant "overdone".   :-[   I turned them bone side up and started slicing, thinking to myself, "I should have thought about this earlier, this is easy!" Of course, they fell apart, and all that bark and rub and goodness was stuck to the cutting board! I could have turned that board up side down and everything would have stuck to it like glue.
And as chef you get the honor of scraping/licking it clean and enjoy all that tasty bark goodness! :lick:

JeffCO

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 02:02:25 PM »

I was surprised when Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels told me he cuts his comp ribs this way.  I always assumed it would mess up the appearance.

Jcorwin818

• 10th SFG (Lenexa, Ks)
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »

We cut our competition ribs by standing them on edge therefore we don’t mess up the tops.
Traeger 075 Texas (USA) WSM 22" Weber Kettle Weber Spirit 310

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 05:55:18 PM »

I was surprised when Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels told me he cuts his comp ribs this way.  I always assumed it would mess up the appearance.

Mine get a final dunk in sauce, so it doesn't really mess with the appearance much.

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 06:46:27 PM »

Mine get a final dunk in sauce, so it doesn't really mess with the appearance much.

Do you wipe off the edges after dunking so the meat and any smoke ring shows?
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Conumdrum

• I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:12:19 PM »

Well I'll just shut up.  And be a sheep.  A few moderators just don't like me.

Thanks, good folks here.

I'll just sponge off others and not add any thoughts. 

Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

smokin soon

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 09:46:52 PM »

I stand up the ribs to cut mainly because I have horrible knife skills. The knife seems to follow it's own path. Probably not comp material, but works good here.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 10:16:50 PM »

Do you wipe off the edges after dunking so the meat and any smoke ring shows?

Just a full submersion in a deep container full of sauce while holding the bone. Once it's out of the sauce, I let the excess drip off. Ends up looking something like this. To answer your question though, I don't wipe any off.

NorCal Smoker

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 09:51:16 PM »

We cut our competition ribs by standing them on edge therefore we don’t mess up the tops.

I don't do comps, but this is how I do it. It is easy peasy!

MysticRhythms

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 12:59:30 PM »

Well I'll just shut up.  And be a sheep.  A few moderators just don't like me.

Thanks, good folks here.

I'll just sponge off others and not add any thoughts.

I hesitated before deciding to respond to this. However for what it's worth this is what I have noticed.
Your last few posts have had a decidedly mean and snarky tone.
Looking thru your older posts it seems like this is a new attitude for you but I could have just missed it earlier.

This is a happy friendly site, one where I feel that most people see a certain level of camaraderie. We all have our own personalities and thoughts but most people are able to make contributions to the threads that they post on.

Your latest posts have not propelled the conversation forward. They appear to be thrown out there as a way to degrade the other posters or somehow show your perceived superiority. Perceived by you only.

It often comes down to wording. Stating that you are glad that the OP knows that implies that his idea is so basic as to not be worth mentioning. 
If this is your feeling I am curious about you and how you were born with full knowledge of how all things work. School must have been very boring for you considering that you never had anything to learn.
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up