Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low and Slow or Turbo Cook  (Read 1436 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Low and Slow or Turbo Cook
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 11:39:56 PM »

The wood from the pellet grill just adds a depth of flavor.  Much like the difference between cooking on pellets and in a skillet. The meat has a more aromatic flavor.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 12:13:04 AM »

The wood from the pellet grill just adds a depth of flavor.  Much like the difference between cooking on pellets and in a skillet. The meat has a more aromatic flavor.
BINGO!!  :lick: :pig:
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 12:51:48 AM »

I am gradually increasing my cooking temps, mostly in the 250 to 300 range, but have not gotten to 350; the closest I've gotten to that would be 325 for poultry. As Bentley stated, I am just getting a juicier, more flavorful, more rendered piece of meat with a great smokey taste at slightly higher temps.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »

I can't imagine you're getting much smoke when cooking above 250 on a pellet smoker unless you're using a smoker tube.  When I grill at those higher temps there is a tiny bit of depth of flavor as you say but I wouldn't call it smoked.  Cooking ribs and butts at 300 would give me next to nothing as far as smoke flavor is concerned.

As far as grilling, I haven't touched my Weber gas grill in a year.  I use Grill Grates on my RecTec.  Works great.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 10:26:50 AM »

I would not be the one to generate a vote..That chore would again fall on Kristin - sorry.

To make the poll valid one must have cooked using BOTH cooking methods..

I see some  consider "turbo" to be 350º. It is not. Almost any temperature over 300º would qualify.. Just don't go crazy a cook at 400º for example..

Re: Smoke.  I was going to comment. I digress and plead the 5th.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »

Kristin, smishtin...I can turn this thread into a poll for you at the drop of a hat...Tell me what you would like the question of the poll to say, and what your choices of answer are...the choices are unlimited.

Me personally, I get plenty of smoke flavor at 300°...The flavoring from Wood does not go away just because you do not see smoke.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:54:37 AM by Bentley »

Ross77

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 11:16:57 AM »

Kristin, smishtin...I can turn this thread into a poll for you at the drop of a hat...Tell me what you would like the question of the poll to say, and what your choices of answer are...the choices are unlimited.

Me personally, I get plenty of smoke flavor at 300°...The flavoring from Wood does not go away just because you do not see smoke.

The flavoring doesn't go away but the higher the temp the less flavor you get.  At least this has been my experience.  Perhaps some people are more sensitive to smoke than others but I get very little flavor at temps over 250.  Pellets burn cleaner at higher temps.  I suppose it could vary by brand of pellet smoker as well.  I'm even considering a pellet tube.  So maybe I'm numb to smoke flavor. ;D

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »

I usually start Low N Slow & gradually raise the temp if I'm running out of time. 275 for Ribs.

same for me, 275 is standard but will creep up to 350 to get done on time
2011 SS Memphis Pro

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »

For me, it depends on what I'm cooking.  If i'm cooking to "done" or by feel, it gets the high temp treatment.  Pork shoulder, brisket, chuck roast ribs, all get done at 275 to 300.  Same great taste/tenderness/moistness with better fat rendering and much less time.  I do not do low 'n slow anymore.

If I'm cooking to a temperature, I back the temps down so I have a bigger window to catch when it's done, not because it has some magical effect on the meat.  Pork loin gets 250.  Pork tenderloins get 225 because they're smaller still.  I cook standing rib roasts at 200.  The massive size of these roast means it needs extra time for the heat to penetrate all the way to the middle, so the low cook temp helps that.  I sear first, so no problems at all getting a nice crust.  It gives me a very even edge-to-edge cook that is flawless for every one I've done.

Chicken is a bit of an outlier because I'll cook a whole bird at 275, but I also will cook individual pieces at 275.  This is so I get bite-thru skin.  I've found the secret to be the 275 temp, spray the pieces with olive oil, season and hold for 30 mins for the seasoning to soak up with the oil.  Cook skin side down FIRST for 30 minutes, flip, cook ~10 mins and check temps, flip again if needed until IT of 165.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

Ross77

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 01:42:39 PM »

Even my bride, who does not like smoked food at all, liked these ribs. 

I get the opposite reaction from my bride.  She thinks the ribs could use more smoke even when I smoke them at 225-250.  I'm thinking if your bride doesn't like smoked food, it makes sense the lighter smoke produced at higher temps would suit her.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »

I think that temperature works even better on beef ribs...very envious...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up