Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Jan 2018
  • Bentley, I found this online.

• #2 by Bentley on 07 Jan 2018
  • I can guarantee that if we cook the American Royal in 2018, I will be pureeing these 10 11 chili's and we will be trying them with the team and any visitors who will come out for the tasting...

Would you agree with me that the pepper or chili at the bottom of each number is the hottest?  Also, I thought chipotle was just a smoked jalapeno and I have never considered a poblano as even being close to a jalapeno in heat...Maybe I am confused, but I always thought the poblano was what used in a chili relleno, I guess it is what I use, maybe it is an Anaheim?

If we find out when the AR is before April and if we can go...I will even try and grow all 10 in the garden this year...
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Jan 2018
  • I think the one on the bottom of each is the hottest.  They probably take out the seeds in the poblano when making chili rellenos.  Start doing some growing research on these peppers.  I think you may need to worry about some cross pollination, but I have never grown peppers before.  That pic is also missing the Carolina Reaper which is currently the hottest pepper, but it is my understanding the guy who designed it has one hotter.  He is holding off on introducing it until someone else makes something hotter than the Reaper.  You may also want to have something to cover your mouth and eyes when you are cutting up some of the hotter ones.  I hope you get to do this.
  • #4 by Darwin on 07 Jan 2018

Would you agree with me that the pepper or chili at the bottom of each number is the hottest?  Also, I thought chipotle was just a smoked jalapeno and I have never considered a poblano as even being close to a jalapeno in heat...Maybe I am confused, but I always thought the poblano was what used in a chili relleno, I guess it is what I use, maybe it is an Anaheim?
    A Chipotle is a smoked/dried jalapeno, some can be very hot depending upon the variety or source.  Not real sure of the reason, but its normal.  Chile Morita is red/ripe jalapeno that is less smoked and has soft flesh.  It has more fruit flavours than the dried.  Poblano is usually mild, but some can have a bit of heat.  Most of the jalapenos that I get at the grocery store are fairly mild, not much spicier than banana peppers .  It may be down to the breeding to make larger peppers.  The New Mexico chilies can run from mild to hot, the bags are usually labeled correctly.  A roasted green chili cheese burger is very popular in the southwest.  Some fast food restaurants will offer green chili as an additional topping to make the locals happy.   :lick:
    I love spicy foods, but I wont touch anything hotter than the Thai chilies.

• #5 by GrillinGlen on 07 Jan 2018
  •    I think you may need to worry about some cross pollination, but I have never grown peppers before. 

Cross pollination wont affect fruit from the year its cross bred, just the genetics of that years seed (and next years fruit)
  • #6 by Bentley on 07 Jan 2018
  • Yes, but would you agree that neither of those things should make it hotter?  Or do you subscribe to a theory that the capsaicin would be intensified by drying?

A Chipotle is a smoked/dried jalapeno...
  • #7 by Darwin on 07 Jan 2018
  • Yes, but would you agree that neither of those things should make it hotter?  Or do you subscribe to a theory that the capsaicin would be intensified by drying?

A Chipotle is a smoked/dried jalapeno...
    Chipotles are made from ripe jalapenos, they have more capsaicin than the immature green peppers.  Smoking should have no effect on the spice levels.  Removing the water from the flesh may intensify the heat sensations, but the amount of capsaicin will not change. Just a theory on the dilution bit.  That said, I have had some that ranged from mild to very hot in the same bag. 
  • #8 by Bob The Smoker on 08 Jan 2018
  • I have order both chilies and plants from these people. chileplants.com (Admin modification) and have had no complaints.
    I did not get many chilies from the plants I ordered but that was all my fault.
    I grew them hydroponically and they got white fly from some other plant I had.
    They were doing great until then.
    Here are some fresh chilies I ordered.

• #9 by Bob The Smoker on 08 Jan 2018
  • The other pic.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Jan 2018
  • Bob, what have you done with those peppers?
  • #11 by Bentley on 08 Jan 2018
  • Thanks Bob!
  • #12 by Bob The Smoker on 08 Jan 2018
  • I used a few for cooking. Gave several away to now former friends. :cool:
    Froze the rest. They turn mushy after freezing but if you put them in a dehydrator and then a spice grinder;  you some great powder for cooking. You don't need much.
    They will make you xxxx sparks. Use caution!

• #13 by Bentley on 08 Jan 2018
  • Well they have them all, I have never bought a live plant online.  The way things are delivered to us by ANY delivery company...I just cant see them arriving and being viable...But I know I could maybe get 3 of these 12 at Lowes or anywhere else here in Mayberry.  So not sure what to do...

PIMIENTO L
    BIG JIM 
    ANAHEIM M 
    CASCABEL 
    MIRASOL 
    SERRANO
    DE ARBOL PURPLE 
    PIQUIN LARGE BLACK
    THAI RED 
    SCOTCH BONNET YELLOW 
    HABANERO RED SAVINA®
    JAY'S PEACH GHOST SCORPION 

Don't like to mess with seeds either, but that may have to be the route...I guess we see when AR is gonna be...They appear to once again not living up to when they said they would announce, and that worries me too!

• #14 by CaptJerry on 10 Jan 2018
  • My two favorite peppers are Jalapeno and Banana.
    IMO be it grown or brand name in jars, the heat range is all over the place.
    No consistency.
    I grew some sweet banana peppers one time that were hotter than any jalapeno
    I've ever grown.
Pages:
Actions