Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you ever found yourself in need of a Change?  (Read 1722 times)

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
Have you ever found yourself in need of a Change?
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:26:28 PM »

Love my little GMG DC. Been cooking in it steady for over 3 1/2 years years now & remarkably its been trouble free! I've become bored with it. I also have a JB that I just don't use because its to big for what I need & is a pellet hog compared to the DC.

I can't remember the last time I've made a meatloaf, one of my pizza fatty's, Done a beer can chicken, ETC. Seems I cook just for the sake of cooking. I've lost the creative BBQ person in me & I long to get it back.
I also think the winter blues haven't helped either. As much as I've loved the DC I think because of it size it has certain limitations and I've had the urge to get something that's between the size of the DC & JB.

I like the Louisiana's CS450. The dealer 35 miles away won't be getting a shipment until spring. I've found a LG700 in another town, Its their last one from last years shipment. Gonna go take a road trip tomorrow to check it out, Compare it to the CS, See how anxious they are to sell it.

Has anyone here felt the need for change here in their BBQ Lifetime??
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Re: Have you ever found yourself in need of a Change?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 08:52:23 PM »

About 15 times at least. Went from stick burner to pellet, to another pellet, to yet another pellet, to charcoal bullet, to stickburner,  to insulated cabinet, to drum, etc, etc.

Now I have pellet, insulated cabinet, and drum. I have to admit many times I'm thinking hard just to come up with something new to get them out. After you run through all the normal stuff while learning,  it never quite has the same feeling as it did in the beginning.

Sucks, but just the way it goes. Maybe try something other than pellet for awhile to re-invigorate your interest.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 09:55:09 PM »

Maybe switch up what you are cooking in it?  Make some biscuits, banana bread, a cheesecake?  Making a souffle in a pellet pit might be quite the novel challenge.  Or something like Hot Brown's -- part in the pit, part on the stove.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 10:27:27 PM »

I thought this was going to be about a job....I will refrain from answering until I have a different one.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 09:23:26 AM »

Absolutely and as a result I have to many different cooking tools and often change methods that I use.  I now air fry and SV plus the standards of grilling, braising, sautéing and some times deep frying.  I also get in a baking kick.  So I guess my point is that you may not need a new pellet grill as much as you might need to change up what and how you cook.  Of course this may also mean that you might have to buy some new cooking equipments or maybe not.
 :cool:

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 09:34:07 AM »

If I don't use mine for many weeks, nothing has changed.  When I do use it I like the flavor of food that comes off it.  I think you would find the 700 the same size as the JB and may use even more pellets...

Don't be concerned about the boredom, and yes the cold does make a difference!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

dk117

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 10:05:08 AM »

This thread really hit home.   The wife knows about pelletfan, but I rarely read her the posts.  I shared this one with her.    I felt a certain implied existentialism.    My 2009 Traeger Texas is warped, rusted, dirty, and functions exactly how I want it to and puts out amazing food. 

So why then am I lusting after a Gator Pit PC2036?   And is said pit really worth three GMG Jim Bowies?

Cooking is one of my few hobbies.  I've become emotionally attached to my aged Traeger for no logical reason.  I'm in need of a change for the sake of change.

DK

urnmor

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 12:06:37 PM »

I'm in need of a change for the sake of change.

Look at the bright side of it at least you do not have the new car bug :)

Redapple

• Using less gas.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »

I have been cooking on my grill for decades, and using my GMG pellet smoker for about 2 1/2 years.

One of the shows I love to watch is Diners Drive Ins and Dives. The reason...it highlights fusion foods, taking the traditional and changing it up with other techniques and foods.

I am still learning, and trying to perfect and gain consistency in my recipes, but I think this is the future of food and smoking...

My 2 cents.

Thanks,
Bill

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 04:55:56 PM »

I think you would find the 700 the same size as the JB and may use even more pellets...

Actually there is quite a size difference. The JB lists its cooking space as 658 sq inches on the main grate & the LG 700 is 497.

This thread really hit home. I'm in need of a change for the sake of change.
DK

I think that's it for me.

I went to look at the LG700 and was really surprised how well this grill was put together and the thickness of the metal. Thing is a small tank. The only visible difference from the CS was the driptray wasn't coated on the LG. They wanted $699.00 for it which is $100.00 off suggested retail which is the same offered on the CS at the other dealer. I'm just not sure I want another Chinese made Pit. May pay more for the CS.That's OK, We'll see, Time will tell. Was a beautiful sunny -3 degree day here. Just nice to go for a drive. Wishing it were the motorcycle!
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 10:33:08 PM »

I thought the number corresponded to area of grill...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 11:01:15 PM »

I find myself wanting a cabinet or box smoke, like a 270, Humphreys or a Backwoods. Not sure why though.

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 07:04:36 AM »

I thought the number corresponded to area of grill...

Yes...

The CS 450 and LG 700 are virtually the same unit from Danson.  the CS stamped in Canada and the LG imported.

The LG gained the ‘extra’ cooking area from an included second shelf, where the second shelf was optional on the CS line...  which I believe is now included with the CS.

.. :bbq:
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 09:36:28 AM »

Absolutely. Isn't that why people "collect" things. Cast iron cookware, tools, automobiles, and so on. We tend to feel  a need for change for whatever reason. Perhaps brought on by our modern society with continuous innovation.  In my case I started

out with a Traeger. As I used it I discovered its limitations and weaknesses.

That got me searching and dreaming..Finally I settled on a Memphis Pro. It took me a long time to decide. The high price and not seeing one in action was a negative..I took the chance, swayed by free delivery and a reduced price. Also talked with the Memphis

people..The result was a small learning curve and a super,beyond belief pit..Now I don't have any yearnings to add to my collection of cookers. I am sure that something might come along that will change my way of thinking.

The winter blues get us all down - don't despair. Get out there and look at wonderful cookers. That should take your mind off things. ;)

MMike

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Having fun!
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »

When I realized the limitations of my GMG compared to my sons PG1000, I needed to do something.
So I altered it with a direct heat side. Cheap, easy, and works well.  :cool:
Yoder 640s
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up