Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Jan 2018
  • I am working on an experiment for a rub for making chicken jerky in my new dehydrator using these spices.  Took my first crack at it today with less than a tablespoon of each in a small batch to taste it.  Needs some work, but is promising.  The hickory smoke powder is very strong.  I am looking to achieve a smoked chicken wing flavor.  Will share once I get what I am looking for, and will then put on the chicken breast slices and into the dehydrator for jerky.  If I have the desire, it may happen this weekend.

• #2 by Free Mr. Tony on 12 Jan 2018
  • Try some vinegar powder in the mix
  • #3 by CaptJerry on 13 Jan 2018
  • I had no idea Franks made a powdered seasoning.
    Their hot sauce is all I buy for years now.
    Now I have to go find some.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jan 2018
  • I had no idea Franks made a powdered seasoning.
    Their hot sauce is all I buy for years now.
    Now I have to go find some.

Sam's Club sells it.  It is really salty though.
  • #5 by Brushpopper on 13 Jan 2018
  • Will share once I get what I am looking for, and will then put on the chicken breast slices and into the dehydrator for jerky.  If I have the desire, it may happen this weekend.

Very interesting!  I have a seldom used dehydrator and will keep an eye on this.  Do you use thin sliced chicken breast from the grocery store or do you slice it yourself?
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jan 2018
  • Will share once I get what I am looking for, and will then put on the chicken breast slices and into the dehydrator for jerky.  If I have the desire, it may happen this weekend.

Very interesting!  I have a seldom used dehydrator and will keep an eye on this.  Do you use thin sliced chicken breast from the grocery store or do you slice it yourself?

I have some frozen chicken breasts that I will thaw enough to then slice into 1/4 in pieces.  Then I will thaw in full so I can put a rub on them tomorrow, bake for 10 minutes at 350, and throw in the dehydrator on 160 degrees for 6-8 hours.  It will be my first time using my dehydrator.
  • #7 by Kristin Meredith on 13 Jan 2018
  • I hope I don't sound too ignorant with this question.  Does a dehydrator cook the chicken enough that you don't have to worry about salmonella?  I am always so concerned about that if chicken isn't cooked to temp.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jan 2018
  • I hope I don't sound too ignorant with this question.  Does a dehydrator cook the chicken enough that you don't have to worry about salmonella?  I am always so concerned about that if chicken isn't cooked to temp.

I hope so.  Following a method in a book and other online sources.
  • #9 by BigDave83 on 13 Jan 2018
  • I would think that the 10 minute 350 bake for 1/4 inch thick strips would cook them and after that you are just drying. I tried cooking turkey before making jerky and it was a mess. I just make sure I use cure now on my jerky, whether it be cow, pig, or poultry.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jan 2018
  • Yeah, I think I am going to throw some cure in with my rub.
Pages:
Actions