Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Go ahead and ask...  (Read 1223 times)

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
Go ahead and ask...
« on: January 13, 2018, 12:36:56 PM »

It's amazing to me how vast/broad our members are in terms of experience for pretty much any given topic. It's also frustrating. PF is approaching 700 members, yet those that actively participate is less then 10% (I would guess).

There doesn't seem to be a question asked that isn't responded to with anything less than pertinent users experience. How is that possible?

Sure, it's a 'cooking forum'. I get that. But what about all those questions that come outta left field? Help with an air compressor? Officer down? Fish finders? Sleep apnea? Best cooler? Retirement options?

As a member of a few other forums; nowhere have I've seen the knowledge base that exists here.

Thank you to those that respond. Folks ask because they want help. That help is greatly appreciated (at least by me). That said...

I for one would love to see more members contribute to the site. Please stop hiding in the shadows and jump in. The water's fine and you'll likely get more out of the site for your contributions.

We all have questions that range the gamut of life. To date, all of my questions have been addressed here at PF. Answered? Maybe not. Direction advised? Absolutely.

:2cents:

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

CaptJerry

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Re: Go ahead and ask...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »

"There doesn't seem to be a question asked that isn't responded to with anything less than pertinent users experience. How is that possible?"

Because were all old.
Old people know "stuff"

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 01:41:16 PM »

I think what you hit on provides that community feeling here even though must of us have not and will never meet.  But the shared love of meat has brought us together to help each other in any way we can.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »

Yeah I had to learn to lighten up about what is talked about...I think the last couple of years on Pelletheads prepared me & Kristin helping with the site...allowed me not to try and box in the areas of interest.  I think that may have driven some of the early Members off, and if so, it is a shame & certainly was not my intent, because they sure helped get the site off the ground...but I like the format too!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 02:01:36 PM »

Maybe consider breaking the General Discussion into 2 sections - Food and Food Equipment Related and All Other.  One could always turn the All Other off in their preferences so they don't see those posts pop up in the unread posts since last visit section.  I have done that with some things that don't interest me.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 02:36:10 PM »

Will have to run that by the Hammer...

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 03:19:08 PM »

Hey CaptJerry, thanks for your response.  Gave me a little out loud chuckle.  Everyone needs a little chuckle every now and then.  I don't think it is what you said, but really how you said it.  Great post Bob, you are right on.... this is a great community.  Of course need to thank Bentley and Kristin for getting the whole thing back together again to share our common passions.

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 06:27:33 PM »

Certainly a velvet Hammer . . .   :D

I think it can be hard for some folks to jump right in and contribute. After all, this really is a community made of real people, and posting can be intimidating when you feel like an outsider. Not that there is this exclusive vibe, here. There isn't; everyone here is very inclusive.

But I can relate to being intimidated; I am very much like that - kind of an introvert who is content to stay in the shadows and lurk - it's the easiest thing to do. I say to myself, "What I have to say isn't very important or as meaningful as what Whosit said." It can be hard to contribute, especially when you feel everyone else is so much more knowledgeable and established in the community.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 06:42:33 PM »

Certainly a velvet Hammer . . .   :D

I think it can be hard for some folks to jump right in and contribute. After all, this really is a community made of real people, and posting can be intimidating when you feel like an outsider. Not that there is this exclusive vibe, here. There isn't; everyone here is very inclusive.

But I can relate to being intimidated; I am very much like that - kind of an introvert who is content to stay in the shadows and lurk - it's the easiest thing to do. I say to myself, "What I have to say isn't very important or as meaningful as what Whosit said." It can be hard to contribute, especially when you feel everyone else is so much more knowledgeable and established in the community.

+1
I try to give my  :2cents: some times just to be part of the best forum(my only) on web. The one thing I have learned is go ahead and respond with my  :2cents: but don't react if someone else s  :2cents: is different. We all do things differently in life.

Mudflap

Thanks to the fish finer question I got one....
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 04:03:03 AM »

Here's my take on this.
I for one felt somewhat intimadated chiming in but realized how foolish that was. Bobitis and the others are spot on, there is a wealth of knowledge here and without exception people are happy to help. On the old site I chimed in but lurked a LOT more. I tried a bunch of stuff and more times than not did share my results, good or bad. Here it just feels different, at least to me.
It is a lot of fun to ask for help, receive the help and hit the hammer with the help, we all do it in many disciplines everyday.
I wouldn't hesitate to ask a non cooking related question here, I think the hesitancy comes into play as a result of the perception that the sole purpose of this site is cooking.
In fact I have a great question and I have never gotten an answer that has been any help, here goes.
How can I get hair to grow on my old bald head, I can't bear the thought of throwing away my combs that my wife bought for me about 28 years ago, man I love them and hopeful someone can help.
This is a great place for a multitude of reasons.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 07:53:11 AM »

+1 ;)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »

It would have never dawned on me to put a drying filter on my compressor line, and when summers hits here, pretty sure it is going to make a difference.  Pasadena or Las Vegas, probably not needed...here in Mayberry, yes!

Bosley Medical!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 04:28:36 PM by Bentley »

MysticRhythms

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 10:50:09 PM »

In fact I have a great question and I have never gotten an answer that has been any help, here goes.
How can I get hair to grow on my old bald head, I can't bear the thought of throwing away my combs that my wife bought for me about 28 years ago, man I love them and hopeful someone can help.
This is a great place for a multitude of reasons.

Go the other way - embrace the bald. I haven't spent a dollar on shampoo or haircuts in 10 years.
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500

Brushpopper

• "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 11:15:51 PM »

To me, this is like talking to my wife or brother and sister.  It's like...family!  :2cents:
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 04:32:56 AM »

MysticRythms, I was really just kidding.
Started losing my hair at 30. It doesn't bother me a bit, except that 1st sunburn of the year.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up